Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost Hid Issues??

bigmunkynutz

Hi I have a ZS ecoboost and earlier today I fitted HIDs but noticed that when they are on the radio signal drops. What could cause this? Will I need to seperately ground the HIDs? They weren't grounded in my previous car...

It's normal for HID's to do that, the step up from 12v to 24,000V produces EM frequencies that can interfere with radio waves.

Thanks Dave, any ideas how I can reduce this interference?

Don't have hid's ;)

I was tempted to say that ;)

Make sure they don't touch any metalwork, about all you can do really.

Common problem with aftermarket HID kits, what make are they and how are the ballast units fitted to the car?

You could try some clip-on ferrite beads on the power leads.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TDK-ZCAT1325-0530A-Ferrite-Filter-Clip-On-5mm-Cable-x4-/390266084665?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item5addabdd39

It's a HIDs 4U 50w kit think it was £160 when I bought it and had no issues on my S40.

Will give these a bash though!

I have a carmodshop kit on mine and I don't notice anything happening with my radio. Plus it only cost me £50 and looks the dogs bawlicks!

If i remember correctly it's this one: http://www.car-mod-shop.co.uk/35wcanh7-6k-h7-xenon-hid-conversion-kit-canbus-6000k.html

• Like 1

I have a carmodshop kit on mine and I don't notice anything happening with my radio. Plus it only cost me £50 and looks the dogs bawlicks!

If i remember correctly it's this one: http://www.car-mod-shop.co.uk/35wcanh7-6k-h7-xenon-hid-conversion-kit-canbus-6000k.html

Thanks for that info, I wonder if the issue might be related to mine being a 50w kit rather than a 35w kit?

Its not the power output its the way the ballast unit converts the car 12 V to 23K V and controls it to about 85 V when the bulbs are running. You have a switch mode PSU in the ballast box generating the high frequency RF noise.

The ballast unit should have adequate filtering to prevent the RF noise from swamping the radio signal, if you look at a genuine Ford HID ballast unit it is actually contained within another metal housing.

Thanks for that info, I wonder if the issue might be related to mine being a 50w kit rather than a 35w kit?

Possibly. Or maybe it's just slightly faulty?

Its not the power output its the way the ballast unit converts the car 12 V to 23K V and controls it to about 85 V when the bulbs are running. You have a switch mode PSU in the ballast box generating the high frequency RF noise.

The ballast unit should have adequate filtering to prevent the RF noise from swamping the radio signal, if you look at a genuine Ford HID ballast unit it is actually contained within another metal housing.

I might try the filters suggested earlier and wrap the ballast in some insulation with a tinfoil like exterior to dampen the RF frequency.

Common problem with aftermarket HID kits, what make are they and how are the ballast units fitted to the car?

You could try some clip-on ferrite beads on the power leads.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TDK-ZCAT1325-0530A-Ferrite-Filter-Clip-On-5mm-Cable-x4-/390266084665?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item5addabdd39

Hi DieselPig,

I bought some of these as recommended and attached to the hid leads on the red and blue leads that plug into the cars original power ports in replace of the standard bulb. This hasn't resolved the issue...

Don't suppose you have any further thoughts on the issue?

Next step is to test for the type of noise coming off the ballast units but that involves some fancy test equipment to measure it.

Has the supplier had any other customers complain of poor radio reception? Could be a dodgy unit, have you tried unplugging each unit in turn and see if they both affect the radio?

I used to have HID 4 U 50Watt units fitted to my old mk5 fiesta a few years back and had the same problem, didnt bother me enough to complain as i listen to ipod/cd more than the radio. The look a well constructed unit tho maybe try to ground the metal ballasted unit to the car?

They are metal and not plastic aren't they?

The ballasts? Usually as they can get quite warm. Mine are metal fixed onto the little mounting brackets. I have mine secured to the screw/bolt things above where the front suspension would be.

Next step is to test for the type of noise coming off the ballast units but that involves some fancy test equipment to measure it.

Has the supplier had any other customers complain of poor radio reception? Could be a dodgy unit, have you tried unplugging each unit in turn and see if they both affect the radio?

I used the same setup in my previous vehicle with no issues. Not sure where to go with this next...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club