Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 Focus 1.8 Tdci - Cam Belt Change.

mkelbie

My focus is on 97,000 now so I am going to get the timing belt changed. I have asked before and told to get the full kit (belt & pulley?) but now I have been told water pump.

I had a quote from Halfords whilst my car was there having heater plugs. It seemed a bit high so have asked for 2 more quotes.

1 was full kit parts/labour £125

2nd quote was £270 which was the kit but told I need to do the pump too. I didn't know this was the case so asked for a quote without. It was £234 so not much for the pump.

Do I need to get this done and are these prices right? I am tempted to go back to 1st garage and ask for a price with a pump too.

Don't have a clue and I've spent a lot on my car lately so need to save as much as possible bedside tyres and bearings need doing too ASAP.

Thanks

The first quote seems rediculously low to me. Even the second seems fairly cheap, to be honest. And yes I would get it done if I were you. It may seem like a lot, but if the cambelt goes, I can guarantee it will cost a LOT more!

Really? The belt kit only costs around £60 so I thought it was about right.

I am definitely getting the belt done, it's the water pump I am unsure about.

ford do the full belt kit which should be belt pulley tensioner associated bolts and new cam bolt my petrol was 250 to have it all done including new aux belt parts and labour included at 97k i would do the water pump as it saves time later the first price is too low even for an independant the engine on the petrol needs disconnected at the mount and jacked up one side for access it was a few hours total a full gate s kit is around the price you state but the labour at 3-5 hours is far more

http://www.fordonlineparts.co.uk/product/Ford_Focus_Timing_Belt_Kits_for_a_1.8_Lynx_Diesel_TC_01|99-05|05_F1201255_F1201255-2631

I have seen the full kit with pump selling for £60-£70. Granted not ford genuine but most oem parts are really good these days.

I'm going to phone 1st garage back and ask about price and pump

personally i would only use gates thats what should be on the car and although others are good ive xseen many a failed part before when its something like a cambelt spending money now saves money later should the belt snap or tensioner fail

Belt is being replaced, dropped car off about an hour ago and mechanic just phoned saying pump is on the out side so its my choice if I want to do it now. He's said it doesn't sound noisy so I can leave it if I want.

£85 for pump, parts/labour and coolant change and he said you will know if the pump goes because it will start to use water and make noise. I have left the pump for now to see if I can get another few months and then will do a service and pump/coolant for winter.

£125 for a belt all in and so I am happy with that.

The wheel bearing is been a massive mystery though; AA said its gone, Kwik fit said its fine, another garage said its dry and now this garage said he can't hear or see anything but theres noise from my gearbox =/

Just went all out, I dont think its expensive so I agreed to do the full work.

2 wheel bearings along with the belt kit and pump. £360 all in

@97K I hope this is my last expense now for a while.

well done for getting it done now.

if you had the water pump done at a later date, you probably would have been told to change the belt again!

now you can relax and be at peace knowing that its done and you have nowt to worry about.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club