Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ear Ache

TommyByrne

Hi,

I am looking for some advice as I have just picked up a 2012 1.6 Titanium 115bhp Focus. All is well with the car apart from the fact that I appear to get earache (and not from the wife) when I drive the car.

Having done some reading on the internet, I suspect it is something to do with air pressure in the cabin, as when I put the windows down, there was some relief in my ears.

Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, can you help.

Many thanks

first time i have heard of this so cant advise really, do you get it in other cars? would ropping the rear windows help at all?

Salsheikh,

No I don't get it in any other car and I have driven a wide variety. When I drop the window I get a noticeable relief in my ears so I suspect it is to do with the internal air pressure.

Having read posts on other sites, it sound like there is a valve in the boot somewhere which regulates the pressure within the car, hence the question.

As its only 5 months old, I will take it to Ford and let them have a look at it

Regards

Tommy

Does sound strange. I used to get air pressure increases when I had the sunroof open on an Audi coupe. I had it in some cars when both the drivers and passenger windows were both open. Never experienced it with these closed before.

btmaldon,

Thanks. Struggling to explain it. All I know is that after about an hour of driving there is definitely some ache in my ears. I don't think its road noise (it has 18inch wheels and appears quiet) as there is a clear relief when the drivers window is opened.

I will try a combination of trying air recirculation, adjusting radio settings etc tomorrow to see if I can work it out, however I am a little worried that I may not be able to identify it so would be grateful if anyone could offer any possible solution.

Regards

Tommy

sounds weird...first time i've heard this. do you get the same when the vents are turned off?

i would also check the rubber grommits under the side carpets in the boot...maybe go as far as punching a small hole in one just to help with pressure.

btmaldon,

Thanks. Struggling to explain it. All I know is that after about an hour of driving there is definitely some ache in my ears. I don't think its road noise (it has 18inch wheels and appears quiet) as there is a clear relief when the drivers window is opened.

I will try a combination of trying air recirculation, adjusting radio settings etc tomorrow to see if I can work it out, however I am a little worried that I may not be able to identify it so would be grateful if anyone could offer any possible solution.

Regards

Tommy

i have done some research too and the should be some air vents in the car to release the air and these may be blocked causing the pressure build up - need to locate these air vents and make sure they are clear.

air is pressurised from when you close your doors, it needs to escape and if it doesnt you get your earache symptoms.

check you doors/boot etc to seee if there are any vents/flaps that you can keep open

hi the air vents are situated in both side rear behind the bumper in the corners. I have known for them to be stuck or covered following accident repair.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club