Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Time Problem Focus Mk1 2001

Breadas

Hi all.

I was driving home from work, short 3-4 mile drive. Had the heating on and realised that it wasn't heating up.

The. I noticed the temp gauge on the dash rising near to red, then in red, then what I assume is a engine overheat light come on ( an ! in a jagged circle). Then the seat belt light came on (only me in car wearing seat belt). Then the revs started to drop and it felt heavy to drive, like a power loss of some sort and loud fan noises from under the hood. When I stopped to reverse park the car was juddering, likely I was so close to home I guess. Being so late I can't see anything to look at the car/under hood.

Just wondering if any of to lovely people have heard of something like this and have any pointers a novice like me can look at?!....

Much appriceated for any help

Gav

Sounds like the car's gone into limp mode because its over heated. Thats why its so heavy to drive etc its a function to stop further damage being done to the car. Check you coolant/antifreeze level in the morning make sure its not too full or low etc also the colour of it if its like a rusty red colour it could be a blockage in the cooling system.

Id presonallh get it into a garage for someone to take a look at it either way tomorrow if possible

I did check the liquid sat just gone and when filling screen wash a bit spilt, would that cause harm?! (4days...) I will try to have a look under hood tomorrow but will probably have to leave a detailed look until weekend due to work :/

Hi all.

I have put some anti freeze in, checked under car and got to see it pouring on the ground :/

Having looked under the hood it seems to be leaking at the thermostat so hopefully that is the problem...

Thanks again and I will post what solution I get.

Sounds like that could be your problem maybe find theres a split somewhere and its over heated because of not having enough coolant/antifreeze

Yea it does make sense. It must have happened recent cause the fluids were fine Saturday...

Moving this to the focus section

Turns out thermostat housing is cracked and the seal is knackered. Just waiting replacement parts. Thanks again :)

Quite a common problem. At least its a job you can do at home. When my mates went he changed the thermostat as well for good measure, nothing wrong with his old one but while it was off and coolant out an extra tenner might be worth doing.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club