Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Focus Mk2 First Edition

JW1982

Very cool with the headlight switch. I lile. If you can mate do a guide on the heater please I'm very much interested in it. I have been using this feature on a Nissan navaravand its truly awesome.

Would be a worthy mod.

Your focus looks great

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Loving the headlamp switch knob,any how to? Can you still use the knob to pull for fogs front & reverse lamp?

Yunii

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Ford OC mobile app

The knob of the light switch I made has exactly the same functions as the original knob.

I removed the knob of a spare light switch I had and used this as a donor for my custom light switch knob. I sanded off the top of the original knob until there was a flat surface with some holes where the original grip was before. I modified the transparant piece of the heater knob to fit tightly on top of the flat surface and secured it with 2 small bolts / nuts which are glued to the back of the heater knob. Next I filled some imperfections and 1 of the holes of the original grip with an epoxy filler/glue and sanded it down to a smooth surface. Finally I masked the transparant piece of the knob, spray painted the knob and installed the aluminium surround of the knob.

The indicator of the knob is illuminated by the LED's of the light switch through 1 of the holes which was created by sanding down the original knob.

Looking awesome mate keep up good work don't think any of these mod will work with my 2003 mk1

Hi,

I love what you've done!

I have a 2007 MK2 Focus, how did you fit the indicator mirrors? Is this possible with mine and are they power folding?

The mirrors with indicators are standard on the Titanium/Ghia versions (after a certain production date) and ST versions of the Focus MK2. On these cars the indicators in the mirrors are controlled by the door modules (CANbus). Lower spec MK2 versions do not have door modules.

Door modules are only needed for the following options:

* Factory alarm with double locking.

* Comfort windows (4-electric windows with quick-up and quick-down functionality on all windows).

* Puddle lights in the side mirrors.

* Indicators in the side mirrors.

If your car already has one or more of the above mentioned options the car should have door modules. In this case the indicators can easily be installed and connected to the door modules. Afterwards it is nescessary to activate the indicators in the GEM module/fuse box.

If the car has no door modules it is also possible to retrofit the mirrors with indicators but is is a lot of work. To make the indicators in the mirrors work you have to install the wiring from the GEM module/fuse box to the doors. This may sound easy but it is a hell of a job because the doors needs to be removed to get the wiring through the rubber hose/connector on the body of the car.

My car did originally not have door modules so I had to install the wiring from the GEM module/fuse box to the doors. I converted my original electric powered and heated mirrors to mirrors with indicators using the original Titanium/Ghia mirror covers and indicator lights. It is not nescessary to change the complete mirrors if you want to retrofit the indicators.

• Like 1

All MK2 mirrors have the spaces for fitting the indicators but as said above, only dome have the right wiring/plugs in the right place.

The mirror connecting plug on the indicator ready mirror is a different shape to the one on a non ready mirror.

Brigante has retro-fitted mirror indicators on his Ghia MK2 but bought a pair of mirrors for the parts and then canibalised the bits he needed.

He ran the wiring to the side repeater looms and then sprayed the repeater lenses body colour, but you can get chromed blanks designed for MK2's with the mirror indicators.

Links to what you need are in my next post- (I'll get the details of the bulb holders you need later when I'm at my PC).

• Like 1

Lenses-

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221349818825

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=321292589764

Covers (primed to paint yourself, matt black or pre-painted) with the indicator cut-outs for reference-

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271064810420

• Like 1

That's a massive job.. I've asked a few garages in the past and they either say that it's not possible, or not worth it.. I have double remote central locking (I think) but that's it.. I was wondering if it would be possible to retrofit rear electric windows, but again, noones willing to do the work, and I'm damn useless.. :unsure:

post-28494-0-50921600-1391314882_thumb.j

The socket and wiring (would need modifying to self wire) is part (Finis) number 4533383 and is about £17 per part.

That is very interesting because when I considered retrofitting electric folding mirrors and electric rear windows I had great doubts of not having the module module seeing this kinda gives me ideas, I have factory alarm with double locking and indicator mirrors mk2.5 so I wonder if I got the needed module!

• 5 months later...

Approximately a year ago I bought a brand new Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 steering wheel on eBay. It was a black leather steering wheel with radio control buttons and info display control buttons but without the cruise control buttons and the airbag. Because it was a real bargain I decided to buy the steering wheel and search for a suitable airbag and cruise control buttons afterwards.

Stuurwiel2_zps3fcf053e.jpg

As described the steering wheel was in excellent (new) condition.

After I got the steering wheel I started the search for a suitable airbag. After 2012 Ford changed the Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 steering wheel and airbag. Because I had the new design steering wheel I also needed the new design airbag. Finding a used new design airbag for a reasonable price turned out to be the same as finding a needle in a haystack. Most Mondeo steering wheel airbags at scrapyards or eBay are old design airbags which do not fit my steering wheel. Eventually I found one new design airbag but the seller asked way too much money for it.

Because I could not find a suitable used airbag for a reasonable price I decided to buy a brand new airbag. Next to several Dutch Ford dealers I also E-mailed to a number of Ford dealers across Europe. There turned out to be a incredible price difference between Ford dealers across Europe. Eventually I found a Ford dealer in Poland which quoted me the best price. Including shipping the new airbag costed me half the price as the same airbag from a Dutch Ford dealer.

Airbag1_zpsb1382716.jpg

Airbag2_zpsd21b70a9.jpg

Next I started the search for a pair of Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 cruise control buttons. These are relative rare which results in high prices. After searching online and at scrapyards for over a month I finally found a pair of suitable cruise control buttons. They came from a very young low mileage Mondeo MK4.5 which was scrapped.

DSC01471_zps32eaa0b3.jpg

After I got all needed parts the challenge just began. All of the buttons of the Mondeo steering wheel needed to be converted to work with the Focus MK2 electronics. Converting the radio control buttons and info display buttons was relatively easy. The radio control buttons of the Mondeo steering wheel have exactly the same resistance values as the Focus MK2/MK2.5 stalk control. The only difference is that the Focus MK2/MK2.5 buttons connect the sensing wire through the resistances to ground while the Mondeo radio control connects the sensing wire to a second wire which is not connected to ground. To solve this I only had to connect the second wire to ground. The info display control buttons of the Mondeo steering wheel are also uses resistance values for the different functions while the Focus MK2/MK2.5 uses switches which connect to ground. To solve this I removed all resistances and connected and made some connections on the circuit board. I use the UP/DOWN button to scroll through the menu and the LEFT/RIGHT/OK button to select the options/settings. This is because the Mondeo info display control has 5 buttons while the Focus MK2/MK2.5 info display has only 3 functions.

After these buttons were finished and tested I started to convert the cruise control buttons. The Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 uses completely different resistance values as the Focus MK2/MK2.5. I changed all resistors on the Mondeo circuit board for the correct values for the Focus MK2/MK2.5. Despite all resistance values were exactly the same it did not work correctly. It turned out to be very unreliable. I decided to make my own circuit boards with microswitches on it. These microswitches are connected using small wires to a pair of original Focus MK2/MK2.5 cruise control circuit boards which are mounted below the Mondeo button holders. This setup functions very well and is much more reliable than my previous attempt.

The next problem was that all functions of the Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 steering wheel require 10 wires while the Focus MK2/MK2.5 originally only has 7 wires. The Focus MK2/MK2.5 clockspring has 2 additional tracks which are not connected at the steering wheel side. Soldering 2 wires directly onto the tracks of the clockspring ads 2 wires to the existing 7. This results in a Focus clockspring with 9 wires but there is still 1 wire short. I solved this problem by sending all 3 info display signals over just 2 wires. To do this I made an electrical circuitry using diodes to join the 3 info display wires on the steering wheel side to 2 wires. On de steering collumn side I made an electrical circuitry using micro relays to seperate the 2 info display wires back to 3 wires. This circuitry functions very well.

Today I installed the Mondeo MK4.5 steering wheel into my car. It looks great and all functions of the steering wheel work.

DSC01567_zps97327a77.jpg

DSC01572_zps237ec70a.jpg

DSC01571_zps0c828bda.jpg

DSC01568_zps5a9393c0.jpg

DSC01569_zpsb8b4b4db.jpg

DSC01573_zpsebf160bf.jpg

DSC01574_zps59780dee.jpg

Note that installing a Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 steering wheel to a Focus MK2/MK2.5 is really a lot of work. It is not a suitable modification for beginners.

• Like 5

That is a really well done job the wheel looks excellent in your focus, I can imagine the amount of work time and effort needed

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

if you dont mind, can you tell me how i install a focus mk2.5 speedo in my mk2? what do i need?

and when you say that its needed a lot of work to change the steering wheel, what is needed?

regards and you project is really looking good, just need a little bit more on the exterior ;)

congrats

• Like 1

if you dont mind, can you tell me how i install a focus mk2.5 speedo in my mk2? what do i need?

and when you say that its needed a lot of work to change the steering wheel, what is needed?

regards and you project is really looking good, just need a little bit more on the exterior ;)

congrats

To install a Focus MK2.5 instrument cluster into a Focus MK2 you will need the following things:

* A suitable Focus MK2.5 instrument cluster. Technically there are only differences between Petrol and Diesel instrument clusters.

* An ELM327 interface and the ELMconfig software to configure the MK2.5 instrument cluster with the correct settings of the car.

* A suitable diagnostic system which has the ability of (CODED) PATS programming and PATS initialization (also called PATS pairing). For example the Ford IDS system or the Ford specific FoCom diagnostic system. Any Ford dealer should be able to do this.

* Access to a INCODE/OUTCODE generating service (also part of the Ford IDS software).

To install a Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 steering wheel into a Focus MK2/MK2.5 a lot of modifications are required. The steering wheel itself is a straight fit but all of the electrical circuits of the Mondeo steering wheel are completely different from the Focus. This means all of the circuit boards inside the buttons ( a total of 4) must be modified. It took me a some long nights to compare the Mondeo and Focus circuits with eachother and find out what was needed to convert the Mondeo circuits to function with the Focus electrics. Replacing the components and removing/connecting the tracks on the circuit boards.

Now I know how much work (and money) it actually took to complete this modification I would think twice to do it ever again.

On the exterior of the car I do not change much. I am kind of an OEM freak and like the standard looks of the car.

• Like 1

wow what a great project :D

• 2 weeks later...

wow ,it looks awesome. thats all i have to say . I was wondering if you could do this for other mk2/2.5 owners. I'm just saying i was willing to ship you the parts you needed + additional fees ,etc, would you do it again ? :ph34r: Once again ,very ,very good job !cheers

• 2 weeks later...

To install a Focus MK2.5 instrument cluster into a Focus MK2 you will need the following things:

* A suitable Focus MK2.5 instrument cluster. Technically there are only differences between Petrol and Diesel instrument clusters.

* An ELM327 interface and the ELMconfig software to configure the MK2.5 instrument cluster with the correct settings of the car.

* A suitable diagnostic system which has the ability of (CODED) PATS programming and PATS initialization (also called PATS pairing). For example the Ford IDS system or the Ford specific FoCom diagnostic system. Any Ford dealer should be able to do this.

* Access to a INCODE/OUTCODE generating service (also part of the Ford IDS software).

To install a Mondeo MK4/MK4.5 steering wheel into a Focus MK2/MK2.5 a lot of modifications are required. The steering wheel itself is a straight fit but all of the electrical circuits of the Mondeo steering wheel are completely different from the Focus. This means all of the circuit boards inside the buttons ( a total of 4) must be modified. It took me a some long nights to compare the Mondeo and Focus circuits with eachother and find out what was needed to convert the Mondeo circuits to function with the Focus electrics. Replacing the components and removing/connecting the tracks on the circuit boards.

Now I know how much work (and money) it actually took to complete this modification I would think twice to do it ever again.

On the exterior of the car I do not change much. I am kind of an OEM freak and like the standard looks of the car.

Hi JW1982,

I was always hopeful of upgrading the cluster to MK2.5 from MK2!

Is there anyway you could write a bit of a detailed guide about the configuring of the cluster and the PATS initialising? I mean, do you work for Ford and have access to that software? Or did you take it to your local garage?

My car is the opposite - it's a 2006 ST with a full body upgrade to a 2010. But the internals are all 2006 and could do with the facelift too.

Normally, I might give it a go on my own, but because you mentioned backing things up and requiring PATS pairing - I'm concerned about causing an expensive problem to put right.

Your car is looking amazing, by the way!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I like that alot how did yiu get the mk2.5 dials working

I've been looking into this - it appears quite easy.

1. Find a garage (ford main dealer?) that is able to pair the instrument cluster with the car

2. Buy a cluster off eBay, that has less miles on the clock than your current car

3. Buy an ELM327 off eBay (I bought a pre-modified one for HighSpeed-CAN and MediumSpeed-CAN switching - New USB Modified ELM327)

4. Read up on the ElmConfig software in this thread (direct English version of the software link - you need ElmConfig.zip and RuntimePack.exe)

5. Get familiar with ElmConfig - under the HEC configuration back up your current configuration (it's good practice to back up all configs before writing new ones)

6. Be at the garage, you have sourced, and swap the old cluster for the new one. Use ElmConfig to enable HEC Level 2/3, tick the clock box, and write to HEC

ICHEC

7. Get the garage to pair the cluster with the car

8. Use ElmConfig to increase the mileage, of the new cluster, to match the mileage of the old cluster (ElmConfig doesn't do backwards mileage, so don't be daft)

9. You should be OK from here

Please note - I haven't done this, but the above are the steps I will follow. Because it appears these things need to be stated these days - I accept no responsibility for anything going wrong.

Steps 6 & 7 may also need to be reversed, I don't know yet.

That is some pretty crazy mods you've done there, especially fitting the IVD system, all looks very complicated to me! Great job.

I've been looking into this - it appears quite easy.

1. Find a garage (ford main dealer?) that is able to pair the instrument cluster with the car

2. Buy a cluster off eBay, that has less miles on the clock than your current car

3. Buy an ELM327 off eBay (I bought a pre-modified one for HighSpeed-CAN and MediumSpeed-CAN switching - New USB Modified ELM327)

4. Read up on the ElmConfig software in this thread (direct English version of the software link - you need ElmConfig.zip and RuntimePack.exe)

5. Get familiar with ElmConfig - under the HEC configuration back up your current configuration (it's good practice to back up all configs before writing new ones)

6. Be at the garage, you have sourced, and swap the old cluster for the new one. Use ElmConfig to enable HEC Level 2/3, tick the clock box, and write to HEC

7. Get the garage to pair the cluster with the car

8. Use ElmConfig to increase the mileage, of the new cluster, to match the mileage of the old cluster (ElmConfig doesn't do backwards mileage, so don't be daft)

9. You should be OK from here

Please note - I haven't done this, but the above are the steps I will follow. Because it appears these things need to be stated these days - I accept no responsibility for anything going wrong.

Steps 6 & 7 may also need to be reversed, I don't know yet.

I have a mk2.5 titanium on a 2010 plate, i had a small info display cluster & now upgraded to large info display cluster. Basically as my new cluster had low miles than my stock one, my mate transferred miles over to new one via elm 327. New cluster had 27k on it to my old one having 47k miles. We did not have to re program remote keys or anything as my car has keyless keyfree system so not required. It was a 15 mimute job as new software was upgraded.btw i di not do it myself but mate did off ffoc forum.

Yunii

I will be soon have mk2.5 cluster ecu & remote for sale soon.this is for 1.6.

Yunii

I have a mk2.5 titanium on a 2010 plate, i had a small info display cluster & now upgraded to large info display cluster.

Can I ask where and how you got the large display from? I can't find a part number anywhere - or any on eBay either

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club