Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Focus Mk2 First Edition

JW1982

Mine are probably also produced by DEPO. I read on other forums that they should be DEPO headlights.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I noticed that you have made heating seats retrofit on your previous Focus. Can you tell me please where is the location of heating seats control module?

Every seat has a control module which is mounted under the seat. These modules convert the resistance signal of the heated seat switches to a matching power signal which powers the heated seat elements.

This is strange. I didn't find any module under my seats (Focus 2008, 1.6tdci). Each seat has two pairs of wires for heating, that come to the seat interface connector.

• 4 weeks later...

hi, im in the caribbean and only have us parts available, i am aware that some suspension parts and brake pads etc are compatible with my 2006 mk2 1.6 sedan however my shift knob is caracking and i would like to change it but am unsure if the us versions are compatible? Please assist. I saw the 2012 focus in the US uses the same wheel pattern 5x108 as mine does. Would the rotors be compatible? I presume it would? Thanks.

As long as it is the correct type a shift knob of a Focus MK3 should also fit on the MK2. There are shift knobs with or without the locking mechanism for reverse. On the Focus MK2 Petrol versions you will need a shift knob without the reverse locking mechanism.

Despite the Focus MK3 has the same bolt pattern as the Focus MK2 the brake discs (rotors) are different. MK3 brake discs do not fit on a MK2.

The shift knob does not fit. This is a shift knob of a Focus MK3 automatic. If your car is an automatic you need a MK2 shiftknob. The MK2 automatic shiftknob is different from the mk3 automatic shift knob. If your car has a manual gearbox you have to search for a manual gearbox MK2 or MK3 shift knob.

The timing belt kit is difficult. During production Ford changed the design of the 1.4/1.6 Duratec engine. These changes did also affect the timing belt. There are a few different timing belts available for this type of engine. The correct part number can only be determined by the VIN number. Installing an incorrect timing belt will result in engine damage.

• 1 month later...

Quick question, I'm thinking about upgrading my instrument cluster to a new one. Right now, I have standard two-line pre-facelifted one. Now, I have two options, either stay with pre-facelifted one, or go for the facelift.

But, having only 2-line display on the instrument cluster now, will the display show all the information that it should? I see that you were in the same situation, but you went for the facelifted one, I'm thinking more about staying with the pre-FL (mostly because of the green backlight, which I like more). Of course, the instrument cluster would be configured properly by Ford service.

And, on a side note, what exactly is displayed in the upper part of the pre-FL instrument cluster? I have never seen it actually... :unsure:

The MK2.5 (facelift) instrument cluster is technically fully compatible with the Focus MK2 (pre-facelift). However the configuration is a bit different. To solve this the instrument cluster must be configured manually.

The extra functions of the MK2.5 instrument cluster are not compatible with most MK2 electronics. For the DDS tyre deflation warning system you also need a MK2.5 BCM (ABS/ESP pump) and to show radio info on the instrument cluster display you need a MK2.5 radio.

The MK2 instrument cluster with large display (2 displays) is only used on vehicles with an original Satnav radio or automatic transmission. On cars without an original Satnav radio or automatic transmission this instrument cluster has no added value because it will not show additional information except from the date/time.

The MK2.5 instrument cluster with large display is also only used on vehicles with an original Satnav radio or automatic transmission. This instrument cluster however is fully compatible with cars without an original Satnav radio or automatic transmission. Because of the larger screen this instrument cluster can show more information at once.

In order to have all of the benefits of the MK2.5 instrument cluster I converted my Focus MK2 completely to MK2.5 electronics. I changed al of the different CANbus modules. The MK2.5 instrument cluster itself will not give more functionality.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info on the instrument clusters...I decided that for now on I'm probably not going to mess with it as the added value would be more or less just design of the cluster...

However, and this is just me really not having anything better to think about :D , I kinda like the new Mk3.5 steering wheel...aaand I see that you swiped the steering wheel already on your Mk2(.5) Focus and also did some improvements on the new Mk3 you have...sooo...do you think this would be doable? Mk3.5 wheel on the Mk2? Probably without cruise control, as I don't have it on my car, and also I like it when the wheel would look symetrical without the extra buttons on one side...but if I could find a new one for good price...it should work, right? ...of course after some doodling around the buttons to get them to work :)

Mechanically the Focus MK3.5 steering wheel will be a straight fit to the Focus MK2/MK2.5 steering collumn. Most Ford steering wheels do have the same hexagonical shaped mounting. Mechanically most steering wheels are interchangeable.

However all signals of the steering wheel buttons are different between the different Ford models. To make the buttons work you have to modify the circuit boards of all switches. Modifying the circuit boards of the audio and boardcomputer control is relative easy. The Cruise Control buttons are a lot harder to make them fully functional.

The MK3.5 airbag can also be connected to the Focus MK2/MK2.5 without any problem. The only problem may be the Mk2/MK2.5 airbag connector which does not fit to the MK3.5 airbag. This can be solved by cutting the small notch of the connector.

Thanks for the info, for now, I'm putting it on my "maybe-to-do" list :D ...modifying the circuit boards, however hard that might be, should be doable, but from the brief eBay search, it's basically impossible to find a new steering wheel elsewhere than directly from Ford (and they would definitely charge more than eBay sellers for it)

• 9 months later...

Man your mods on the mk2 were great! the speedo change is something i really want to do now! but alas no understanding on how to do it, so ill just have to enjoy what you did. Thanks for sharing.

• 6 months later...

Hi JW1982, I'm a latecomer to this thread, but hope you could share some of your experience. I have a 2007 Mk2 Focus 1.8 TDCi Diesel and need to replace the Instrument Cluster with another Mk2 cluster. You provided a great description on the July 12, 2013 thread on how to do this, but I'm still a bit lost.
When I place the replacement cluster in the car, the car won't start (obviously the cluster needs to be programmed to the car). If you (or anyone) could provide detailed steps on how to do this would be awesome (i'm reasonably competent & have used ELMconfig to activate certain functions of the IC and ECU).
You mention basic requirement of programming the transponder ID's into the PATS system and pairing the IC with the PCM. Also you mention using the 'right diagnostic tools/software'.
Can you flesh out details on the steps required to replace the IC & 'program' it to the car? Also what are the recommended tools/software to use?
Thanking you much in advance.

• 9 months later...

*mindblown*  :blink:

WOW. This is an awesome thread showing just how far some mods can be taken, and I'm betting there's lots a resourceful guy can do with it still being in keeping with the rest of the car aesthetically. Amazing stuff. Already ordered parts for a few (very) simple mods after reading this, and thinking of more! 

Got anywhere with modding the new car yet? :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

hi, why you have update the gem module?! For more activations? is it only plug and play, i have one gem from a mk2.5 and i want to install on my mk2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club