Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Focus Mk2 First Edition

JW1982

In this topic I would like to show some pictures of my Ford Focus MK2. It started its life on the 28th of Januari 2005. I own it since August 2008 and have made a lot of modifications and am planning to do even more.

My car is a Ford Focus MK2 First Edition. After the introduction of the focus MK2 Ford (Holland) offered this special (limited) edition for a few months. It contained the following specifications:

* Available engine types: 1.6 Duratec (100 HP) or 1.6 TDCI (109 HP).

* Available Colors: Aquarius, Jeans, Machine Silver or Panther Black.

* Body type: 3-door Hatchback, 5-door Hatchback or Wagon.

* Power Front Windows One Touch Down

* Manual Rear Windows

* Tinted Glass All Round

* Heated Windscreen

* Front Center Console With armrest

* Front and rear Floor Carpet mats

* Electrochromic R/View Mirror

* Driver side Power Heated Convex Mirror

* Passenger side Convex Elec/Heated Mirror

* Rear Center Head Restraint

* Driver 4-Way Manual Seat Adjuster

* Passenger 2-Way Manual Seat Adjuster

* Ignition Key With Remote Unit

* Moulded Gearshift Knob

* Central Locking System

* Automatic Windscreen wiper

* Air Curtain Restrnt LH

* Air Curtain Restrnt RH

* Driver Air Bag

* Passenger Air Bag

* Side Air Bag - Drivers Side

* Side Air Bag - Passenger Side

* Mini Steel Spare Wheel

* 6.5 X 16" Trend Alloy Wheel

* 205/55VR-16 BSW Tyre

* Handling Suspension

* Mechanical Parking Brake

* Sports Front Seat

* 4-Spoke Leather Steering Wheel

* With Cruise Control

* Conventional Instruments - Level 2

* Instrument Cluster - Rheostat

* With KMH Speedometer

* ICE-Low Level CD + AM/FM Radio (6000 CD)

* With 6 Speakers

* With Column Stalk Radio Controls

* Smokers Pack

* Auto Headlamps

* Halogen Headlamp

* Front Fog Lamps

* Automatic Headlamp Control

When I bought the car it was almost 3 Years old and complety standard.

Focus2005.jpg

Focus20051.jpg

Focus20052.jpg

Modifications Until September 2013:

DSC01111.jpg

* FK angeleyes projector headlamps with HID lamps.

P6030195.jpg

* Focus MK2.5 rear lamps.

P8060506.jpg

* New (oval) 6000cd Premium MP3 radio from Ford S-max 2011. This radio is now superseded by a 2009 Sony 6-CD DAB radio.

P9240505.jpg

* Focus MK2 instrument cluster modified to red/white illumination.

Afbeelding1.jpg

* Custom climate control knobs.

P4210402.jpg

* Red illuminated ignition barrel.

PA080137.jpg

* Original 45 mm throttle body enlarged to 50 mm using a new weber throttle plate.

PC040147.jpg

* Focus MK2.5 instrument cluster

.PC040155.jpg

* ECO-mode activated.

GEM-3.jpg

* Focus MK2.5 GEM module/fuse box.

P3020016.jpg

* Focus MK2.5 IVD system (ABS, ESP, TCS) retrofitted.

P4060022.jpg

* Rear drum brake to disc brake conversion.

P4200010.jpg

* Focus MK2.5 upper dashboard storage compartment retrofitted.

DSC01169_zpsc9ea476d.jpg

* MK2.5 Sony 6-CD DAB radio installed.

DSC01567_zps97327a77.jpg

DSC01570_zps7daecfb9.jpg

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y388/ford_focusMK2/DSC01569_zpsb8b4b4db.jpg

* Brand new Mondeo MK4.5 steering wheel installed. All buttons are fully working.

* Park distance control system (aftermarket) retrofitted (looks like OEM).

* Towing hook including original wiring retrofitted

* Volvo engine cover to prevent water leaking into the spark plug holes through the windshield washer jets.

* Original radio antenna shortened.

* Focus MK2.5 leather/Aluminium gearknob.

* Mondeo MK4 leather/aluminium parking brake lever.

* Extra interior light above rear seats

* Focus MK2.5 Submarine interior light at the front.

* Focus MK2.5 Submarine interior light at the back.

* Focus MK2.5 make-up lights behind the sunvisors

* Black mesh lower front grill

* ST/Ghia/Titanium side mirrors with indicators and carbon look covers.* 12 Volt plug in the trunk.

* Third brake light converted to LED with an Volvo XC70 LED brake light.

* Hoodlift installed using VW and Seat parts.

* Footwell lights

* Original Scandinavian Daytime running Lamps.

* Mondeo MK3 scuff plates

* 2x Isofix for child seats.

* Focus MK2.5 closed rear wiper.

* K&N air filter.

* New original Focus MK2.5 17 inch 8 spoke Y design wheels (summer) with Continental sportcontact 2 205-50-17.

* New 15 inch steel wheels (winter) with Goodyear Ultragrip 8 wintertyres 195-65-15.

* fc_focus2.gif badge removed.

* Privacy Shades.* Original tweeters in the rear doors.

* Ford Bluetooth/voicecontrol system from Focus MK2.5 retrofitted. Later converted to the Ford Sound & Connect system with USB and A2DP.

* All interior switches with green illumination changed to switches with red illumination.

* 2x original (sun)glasses holder.

* Changed the rear fog lamp for a U.K. reverse lamp to make the rear symmetrical.

* Focus MK3 heated washer jets (mist).

* Optimized air intake and air filter housing.

* Focus MK2.5 light and rain sensor (more sensitive compared to the sensor from the MK2).

* DDS (tyre pressure monitoring) activated.

* Emergency Brake Lights activated.

This is How the car looks like at the moment:

P3030288.jpg

PC040156.jpg

P6030194.jpg

There are also a few modifications i want to do right now:

* Remove the Manual Airconditioning and retrofit the original dual zone Climate Control system.

* Retrofit the cooled glove box.

* Retrofit the original rear power windows and convert the front power windows to the 4-window system.

• Like 3

You have done loads of cool Mods and i'm sure there are things there that many people would be interested in doing , looks really good , thanks for sharing with us.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

1.5 Years ago I bought my S-max 6000 CD PREMIUM MP3 radio which came from a brand new 2011 S-max. The previous owner replaced it directly with a satnav after he collected the car from the dealership. I was very happy with this radio but somehow I Always wanted the oval shaped Sony with internal 6-CD changer.

Last week I had the opportunity to buy a Sony 6-CD which was advertised being defective. The exterior of the radio was in mint condition (not a single scratch) but the CD changer mechanism did not work correctly. The seller asked a very low price for it so I took the risk and bought it immediately.

Sony.jpg

After the radio arrived at my house I decided to open it up. The CD changer mechanism is mounted in a seperate box which is located on top of the radio part of the unit. It is very easy to remove the CD changer mechanism. I only had to remove the top of the box and a couple of screws. Next I removed the cable which connects the CD changer with the radio circuit board and took the CD changer out.

After dismantling the complete mechanism I found out why the CD changer did not work correctly. One of the metal guiding pins of the mechanism came loose from its position and blocked a plastic part of the CD selecting mechanism. After it was blocked the mechanism retracted and the plastic part was broken in two pieces. Because someone else already tried to fix the radio (which obviously was not succesful) one half of the plastic part was missing. So it was not possible to glue the two pieces back together.

Due to the fact that this part is not available as a spare part (you have to buy the complete CD changer mechanism) and the complexity of the part which makes it almost impossible to reproduce the part I had to find a different solution. After a bit of thinking I decided to reproduce the missing half and attach it to the existing half of the part. I made the missing half out of 2 mm thick fibreglass material which is incredibly strong and easy to glue with special contact adhesive. When it was finished and had the correct shape I glued the two halves together with contact adhesive and tested the strenght of the part. The part seems to be a lot stronger than it was ever before.

After I rebuild the CD changer mechanism completely I discovered another challenge. The mechanism needs to be alligned correctly. There are 2 seperate mechanisms which if not alligned correcly are blocking each other. Because the mechanism was already blocked when I received the radio I had no clue about the correct setting so I decided to simply give it a try. After a few hours of trying I lost hope and decided to give it just one try before giving up for that evening. At last everything fell together and the mechanism was working correctly.

The next day I tested the mechanism and concluded there where only a few small problems loading an ejecting the CD's. After a lot of finetuning and testing all problems are solved and the radio is working perfectly.

Today I decided to fit the radio into my car. Unfortunately this radio was produced before March 2008 and its firmware does not support USB functionality. Another problem I discovered is that this Sony does not work correctly with the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol which was retrofitted into my car. This radio is a bit older than the module and wiring of my car. I suspect changing the wiring and/or module can solve this problem but I have to investigate this first.

• Like 1

Looking good, big changes from the original stock model.

• Like 1

How did you retro fit the mk2.5 cluster, didn't think this could be done. Car looks great by the way.

• Like 1

The Focus MK2.5 instrument cluster is fully compatible with the Focus MK2. There are no differences in communication between the MK2 and MK2.5 instrument cluster.

The MK2.5 instrument cluster needs to be configured to the right settings for the car. In most cases a Ford dealer will try to make a backup of the original instrument cluster and load it to the MK2.5 instrument cluster which is not possible. The AS-BUILT data (configuration file) of the MK2 and MK2.5 instrument cluster are slightly different. This is why most Ford dealers think it is impossible to fit a MK2.5 instrument cluster into a MK2.

The MK2.5 instrument cluster needs to be configured manually. This can be don easily with an ELM327 interface and the (free) ELMconfig software. Just make a backup of the settings of your original instrument cluster. Next you can load this backup file into the MK2.5 instrument cluster and select the clock option. Now the MK2.5 should be correctly configured for the car.

Because the MK2 and MK2.5 have a PATS (immobiliser) system which is fully integrated in both the instrument cluster and the PCM the complete PATS system needs to be reprogrammed when another instrument cluster is fitted. The numbers of the transponder keys are stored in the instrument cluster and must be reprogrammed in the new MK2.5 instrument cluster. Afterwards the new instrument cluster must be paired with the PCM. With this procedure the configuration files of the instrument cluster and PCM are synchronised with each other.

In theory every Ford dealer should be able to program and pair the PATS system if the instrument cluster is correctly configured. My experience is that some dealers do not have any experience or say it is not possible to program the PATS system of the MK2.5 instrument cluster into a MK2. After a few unsuccesful tries I decided to buy a suitable diagnostic interface myself and give it a try. After a bit of research I found a way to fully program the PATS system without any problems.

It is completely possible to do it yourself but you have to use the right diagnostic tools/software and follow the correct procedure.

• Like 1

WOW! The first part sounds easy enough but it starts getting tricky with the PATS part as my local Fords are beyond useless. Oh well, thanks for the detailed guide.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I like the 2nd Gen Sony 6-CD which is currently in my car but because my radio does not support USB and A2DP (it is a few months too old for this) I decided to fit another radio. After a long search I found a 2nd Gen Sony 6-CD DAB radio.

Combined with the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module with USB and A2DP support which I already have this radio has al possible functions that I want.

In a few weeks my car will also be lowered. 2 months ago I bought an Eibach Pro-kit which I am going to install when I have got time for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Today I lowered my car with an Eibach Pro-kit. This is exactly the same lowering kit as the one Ford offers as an accessoire. Because I already had the performance suspension which is already 10 mm lower than the standard supension these springs lower my car 20 mm.

It looks great now and the comfort of these springs combined with my 17 inch wheels is really good.

P9280001.jpg

P9280002.jpg

P9280003.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today I lowered my car with an Eibach Pro-kit. This is exactly the same lowering kit as the one Ford offers as an accessoire. Because I already had the performance suspension which is already 10 mm lower than the standard supension these springs lower my car 20 mm.

It looks great now and the comfort of these springs combined with my 17 inch wheels is really good.

P9280001.jpg

P9280002.jpg

P9280003.jpg

Hello mate.Rally nice nice work ther :) i was just wondering can you explain a little more about the "Focus MK2.5 IVD system (ABS, ESP, TCS) retrofitted" ? what are the benefits?And can i make it to my FORD FOCUS 2.0 TDCi?becouse i am having a "ESP sytem fault right now" :( thank you

• Like 1

Hello mate.Rally nice nice work ther :) i was just wondering can you explain a little more about the "Focus MK2.5 IVD system (ABS, ESP, TCS) retrofitted" ? what are the benefits?And can i make it to my FORD FOCUS 2.0 TDCi?becouse i am having a "ESP sytem fault right now" :( thank you

Thank you.

Ford IVD (Intelligent Vehicle Dynamics) is the name Ford uses for the optional ABS, ESP and TCS system. If your car is equipped with ESP this basically means you already have the IVD system.

My Focus MK2 originally had only ABS. Because my car is electronically completely conversed to a MK2.5 I also decided to upgrade the ABS system to the MK2.5 IVD system. As far as I know the MK2 and MK2.5 IVD pumps are technically interchangeable. The only differences between the MK2 and MK2.5 IVD pump are the DDS tyre deflation system (in combination with a MK2.5 instrument cluster) and emergency brake lights.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Ford IVD (Intelligent Vehicle Dynamics) is the name Ford uses for the optional ABS, ESP and TCS system. If your car is equipped with ESP this basically means you already have the IVD system.

My Focus MK2 originally had only ABS. Because my car is electronically completely conversed to a MK2.5 I also decided to upgrade the ABS system to the MK2.5 IVD system. As far as I know the MK2 and MK2.5 IVD pumps are technically interchangeable. The only differences between the MK2 and MK2.5 IVD pump are the DDS tyre deflation system (in combination with a MK2.5 instrument cluster) and emergency brake lights.

i understand,thats a realy great work out there mate :) keep tuning :)

Pree is totally right your ride will have alots of interest here buddy! any info on the details of fitting rear disc brakes.

Parts and retailers

Cost and work involved?

What are the calipers/carriers taken from and what pads and disc are used? when it comes to service...

For the rear disc conversion I used original parts only. In some countries (Germany for example) all engine and body types came with disc brakes as standard. retrofitting the rear disc brakes is basically a pretty easy job. Except for the brake calipers I bought new parts to do the retrofit. I paid about €300,- for all needed parts and it took 6 hours to fit all parts.

Recently I made an English guide about retrofitting the rear disc brakes. I will post the link to my guide tommorow on this page also. In the past I made a lot of guides about all the retrofits I did but they are all written in Dutch. When I have the time I will try to translate these guides to English also.

• Like 1

Thats great much appreciated. I wasn't aware that some countries had disc brakes as standard. I look forward to this guide and the info on parts and details on fitting. 6 hours sound like a long time but it's a job i want done

Thank you very much for the detailed guide i will be doing this to my focus in the future. seems i will need some help when i do know i'm not that experience on rear disc brakes

• 1 month later...

hi, how did you do the rear disc conversion? did you swap the whole axle and have braided lines put in etc, i dont know much about cars but im wanting to do rear disc conversion on my 1.6 derv, thanks jordan

There is no need to change the rear axle when converting the rear drum brakes to disc brakes. The axle and wheelhubs of drum and disc brakes are completely the same. After removing the drum brakes the disc brake parts can be bolted on the axle.

To do the disc brake conversion you will need the following parts:

1x Left brake caliper complete.

1x Right brake caliper complete.

1x Brake pad kit.

2x Brake disc. For the 1.6 Duratec you will need 260 mm discs.

2x Brake caliper bracket.

2x Brake lines (hoses) for disc brakes.

1x Parking brake cable kit.

2x Guiding pin kit. This kits contains guiding pins and rubbers.

2x protection plate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The last few months I made a few modifications.

I retrofitted the OEM PTC heater system. Unfortunately this system was not available for the Dutch market so there were not any used parts at the local scrap yards. After a few evenings bidding on eBay I acquired the parts for a very low price. My car had some of the wiring already fitted so I only needed to install the wiring between the battery junction box and the PTC heater element.

After installing all needed parts and wiring I activated the system using an ELM327 interface and the ELMconfig software.

The system works very well. The car warms up much quicker than before. When the system is active warm air comes out of the airvents almost immediately.

I fitted a set of black custom heater knobs a few years ago but after fitting the 6CD Sony DAB radio the knobs did not match the radio knob anymore. I decided to remove the black custom knobs and ordered a set of silver custom heater knobs. after fitting these knobs I decided to make a custom knob for the light switch. Now all knobs are the same color and design.

DSC01171_zps29aa178f.jpg

DSC01172_zps6d0d9845.jpg

DSC01174_zpsaca7c293.jpg

2 weeks ago I retrofitted the Original heated seat system. I removed the seats from the car and installed the heated seat elements to the seats. Originally my seats had allready heated seat elements but the wires were cut off at the factory and the modules were missing. I suppose that during production they were out of seats without heating and installed heated seats with the wiring cut off.

The heated seat wiring was not present on my car so I had to make the wiring myself using the Original connectors. After I fitted all needed parts and connected the wiring in my car the heated seats work great. It took me a lot of time to fit all parts and make the wiring looms but it was worth the effort.

• Like 1

That headlight dial is tidy, can you make a guide on how it's done?

I'm sure some here will find it very useful.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club