Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tdci Black Smoke And Chugging Help!!!

Jimbo2406

Got a ford mondeo 2ltr TDCI which is now producing black smoke upon acceleration and when at an average speed keep chugging as though it wants to stall! I have had it serviced with no change also had the EGR valve cleaned and had all the maintained kits through the car with no change! Need help as to what it could possibly be? Hoping someone has had this same problem and its not just me

Thank you

could be injector, could be a number of things, check egr check splits in intercooler pipe, check injectors, clean out manifold, that usually breaths new life into the engine!

• 1 month later...

Hi. I have got the same problem and can't cure it. Did you find out how to sort yours? Any help be really appreciated. Many thanks

Matthew

Usually EGR but it could have slipped its timing?? One way to test is on a stand still rev the car to about 3,000 rpm and if its hissing and down on power its a split intercooler pipe if not move to capping the EGR valve of completeley ie use a metal cover over the EGR pipe then take the suction pipe of it will bring the engine management light on but could solve it

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the very same problem. A little more info as to what mine is doing.

Only get smoke when the engine is first started when cold and the outside temp is cold. No smoke on hot days or when the car has been run for awhile.

Again when cold and first start the engine will splutter and try to stall at around 1500 - 1800 rpm (like the engine is over fueling or starving) not sure which. This happens in any gear when under load or when sat in neutral with revs. As before the symptoms go or are harder to notice when the car is warm and has been run for awhile.

Just had diagnostic on it today and still no fault codes showing also never had a dash light shoe. Only thing the garage came up with was the EGR as the reading on the diag tool was 0 on idle and did not change when he gave some revs.

Very lost and reluctant to throw more money on garage maybes any help or advice would be most welcomed.

Cheers

Could be few things. Think you need some readings/live data.

Hope its not same issue as my £700'er today.mines also smoked on startup and now i know thats all down to 4 really worn injectors. But it could also be hole in a hose,timing issue,duff sensor. Have you got an elm327 cable. Get one & download Forscan. Or pay a dealers or some1 with IDS etc

Have u checked to see if your egr is actually phisically working?(stuck?).Is your car a euro3 or 4?

Blank the egr, if that stops it you know thats the problem. If that makes no difference, check the air hoses for splits. Its usualy the hose leading up to the EGr but the others can split too. You will have to take them off in turn and give them a twist, as looking at them in situ wont show any splits. also the jubille clips may not have been making a good seal.

If these dont help, check the intercooler fo any corrosion and leaks.

After that then its onto injectors and other slightly more expensive items.

Thanks for the info don't really have any tools or that cable so time to call in a few favours from friends and family :)

I will start at the beginning of the list. Not sure about euro 3 or 4 how do you tell the difference? but it is a late 04 TDCI duratorq 130 6 speed with exposed injectors and rail. the EGR valve is at the front of the engine near the radiator and windscreen reservoir. The EGR also has a small black hose with a 90 degree bend going to 2 sensors.

It has done 140k on original injectors and most other original parts tho?

Cheers

Has it got elec connector on top of egr? Late 04 i wouldve thought it did. Ur mechanic got no change of 0 from egr so i would think that either your vacuum to it was blocked or a leak in pipe,or its stuck. This makes me think its euro 4 as how can you get an egr reading(or none in ur case),if theres no sensor(ie euro 3). Id take egr off & attach it to a vacuum line on another Mondeo(but not attached/bolted up etc),& see if it opens when starting engine/idling.

But failing that youre gonne need some live data readings to really see whats going on. Have u checked all ur pipes etc for splits/leaks? A failing injector or pump can give similar symptoms but no point in jumping to conclusions yet

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there! The symptoms you describe were exactly the same as those that my car was suffering with.

I have a 2005 Ford Mondeo Estate TDCI 2.0 Diesel. I used Wynns fuel additive on half a tank of diesel as recommended to clear the different components thinking that the internal parts of the car were dirty. I also used the Wynns EGR spray by loosening the jubilee clip holding the hose in place and got my Wife to rev the engine between 2000 and 3000 RPM (whilst spraying straight up into the EGR) as I have read this solution works best when the engine is hot. Despite doing the above, still no luck. I had my car serviced thinking that would resolve the problem, and the garage reassured me that it wasn't belting out black smoke anymore. I persevered to no avail.

Of course by this point I had read information on various forums pointing to the fact that in this situation there is a split in the hose between the intercooler and EGR. But when I looked I couldn't see any split.

Going back to the engine and looking carefully another day, I noticed black deposits which didn't look like they should be there. I used some tissue to wipe the hose and that is when I noticed there were two splits on the hose. One was on the underside and the other on the left side, each were approximately 1 inch long.

By this point I realised that I had found the problem and needed to do something about it.

I called Ford to enquire how much it would cost to buy a replacement and they quotes just over £70.00 including VAT (pick up only). I found out the part number was 1222831. Looking on the internet I found out there are third party products out there, made of silicon (which is much more durable) and all in (including P&P) it came to just under £35.00 from a British manufacturer and seller (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300834160523) - FORD MONDEO EGR TO INTERCOOLER HOSE TDCi MK3 SILICONE TURBO BOOST PIPE .

I then had a problem, knowing it would take a few days to arrive and still needing to use the car. In a desperate bid to alleviate the symptoms in the interim I got two toilet rolls and cut them down one side vertically. I places them over the holes and then proceeded to secure them in place with 4 cable ties. This was extremely effective and eventually the air leakage was stopped and the oil running through the pipe helped to seal the splits like a blood clot when you cut yourself.

This was how it looked: jfcie0.jpg

I was much happier driving the car after this.

Then the part arrived today. So I parked the car half on the kerb to give myself space and got under the car, removed the torx screws from the the two pieces of plastic panels which protect the front end underside of the car. With the plastic out of the way, I could see where the hose connected using a smaller jubilee clip and loosened this. I then went at the top jubilee clip and loosened that. After this, it was just a case of loosening the pipe from the top and bottom and then taking it out. The new one went on easily, and I just used the original jubilee clips to secure it in place of the original. The top jubilee clamp needs to be forcibly removed from the original hose, which it is secured to using metal teeth.

Just make sure you put the jubilee clips on the right way round, as they were originally so that you can tighten them back up properly. Then you just have to put the plastic panels back on.

I've seen people quote £150.00 for parts and labour to get this sorted, I got it done correctly for £35.00.

I wish you luck, hopefully it wont be a problem for much longer.

Edited by Mark M.K
Sorry for removal of your post. I have now placed it back on to the forum. Mark M.K - FOC Manager

Nice! Luv it when someone gets a bit of luck for a change. Folk have sold perfectly good cars on,due to this particular problem,not realising its somethin simple/silly

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club