Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2.0 Tdci Intermittent Starting Issue

RobK

the problem came back after a few weeks so I fitted egr blocker now the car starts first time every time ps I don't wait for glow light I just start it.

• 1 month later...

Well I replaced the sensor that sits near the alternator connected up the pipes but nothing. I'm not getting any vacuum from the sensor and it's brand new. Anyone got diagram on pipe work for this. There is a out and vacuum on the sensor, anyone know where the out is connected too? I'd loved to take of the anti shudder valve but one of the torq screws that's holds it on, the head is well and truly mangled.

• 1 month later...

Glad I discovered this post as my Focus was failing to start and it turned out the anti shudder valve was sticking in the closed position. After filing the valve plate all is well again.

Cheers Robk for your postings.

• 9 months later...

Man o man, having similar problems to this. The saga so far is every now and again it just won't start. Turns and turn but won't fire/

I noticed mention of the headlights flashing, it does that but I am told this is due to low volts and is not part of the fault as such.

I had it serviced last week, new filters. Should this shudder/egr valve be open or closed?

This morning, bang, won't start. So battery became tired and my mate who has a big break down company popped round, jump leads on and started first time....GGGRRRR

So now wondering if it could be the battery. Alternator is couple of years old, maybe had 6000 miles done since installed.

you need to get a new battery , if the battery voltage is below a certain threshold then you will get cranking but pcm will shut down. also the earth points off the battery need checking for corrosion/poor connections.

then if problem still persists , investigate further.

• 2 months later...
On 2/1/2014 at 2:48 PM, RobK said:

Hi John

As promised some pictures to show the location. Hopefully in sequence they're quite easy to follow.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

For full sized pics click here.

Good luck!

Rob

I have been told my problem could be the fuel pump, the red cog warning light comes on and flashes and then goes out once its warm usually, it starts after about 5-10 attempts , are fuel pumps hard to fit in case this isnt the problem above, Thanks 

Its ok starting once the engine is warm

• 1 year later...
On 03/09/2015 at 9:16 AM, Dom85 said:

Hello,

I hope someone can help me. I purchased a 2007 ford Focus 1.8 TDCI from a local independent garage a few months back. It has had issues starting from cold (cold engine and cold morning), at first it would start on the second attempt and it gradually got worse.

It seems to only be an issue in the morning, the earlier and I suppose colder, the less likely it is to start. Once it starts it will start fine all day. It's also more likely to start in the morning if it's been run late the night before.

I returned the car back to the garage who have had it in / out of their workshop for the past month, they don't seem to be able to diagnose the problem. It's also been to a ford dealer and they can't find anything either. Part of the problem being that the garage don't open until 9AM and by the point it usually works so the garage didn't ever see the fault in action, they did have a ford electrican take a look and he said allw as looking fine but he updated the software or something.

The garage have just fitted a new fuel pump but this didn't appear to have any effect on the problem. After reading about the issue online, we cleaned the intake air sensor as it appeared to be dirty with oil etc.

This led to the car starting perfectly for 3 cold mornings (colder than prior mornings where it failed).

However today the car failed again this morning, after 15 minutes of trying it finaly fired when I put my foot on the gas at start up (This doesn't always work and was a last resort before I headed to the train station). A

I should probably return it to the garage to sort but I need the car for work and can't really afford to be without it for another week.

I took a video of the problem with my phone... I'm happy to take a day of work to try anything anyone can suggest. I'm getting pretty desperate with the colder mornings coming up.

Cheers

hi dom 85...

i know is an old top...but i was reading the issues and seems are the same as mine...did you find the problems after all?...thanks

• 1 year later...

Hi John

As promised some pictures to show the location. Hopefully in sequence they're quite easy to follow.

post-43133-0-87294800-1391265880_thumb.j post-43133-0-29159700-1391265890_thumb.j post-43133-0-53294700-1391265899_thumb.j post-43133-0-15365400-1391265909_thumb.j post-43133-0-78126400-1391265918_thumb.j

Good luck!

Rob

Can i just say a huge thanks Rob, our galaxy has been doing the same thing and its been in and had all sorts done fixed act and still not starting now and then, I've just been out and done what you suggested (I'm no good with cars) but the valve stuck closed and yep car would not start, so at last i know the problem, Question is now should i take apart and clean or just have a new one fitted, 2006 2.0 ddci 129000, Again thanks,Leon

Hi John

post-43133-0-87294800-1391265880_thumb.j post-43133-0-29159700-1391265890_thumb.j post-43133-0-53294700-1391265899_thumb.j post-43133-0-15365400-1391265909_thumb.j post-43133-0-78126400-1391265918_thumb.j

Good luck!

Rob

• 1 year later...

rob k spot on mate , having the same problem , no codes  and it was  the anti-stutter / anti-shudder valve that has been causing all of my problems , top marks 

• 8 months later...
On 1/31/2014 at 9:47 PM, Johnny Men said:

Hi Rob,

Your symptons sound exactly the same as I am experiencing on my 2010 2.0 TDCI Galaxy.

I had it at a garage for a routine service and they naturally couldn't find anything wrong. Ironically, when I left the garage it wouldn't start - which I was genuinely pleased that it happened - nothing more annoying than trying to diagnose an intermittent fault.

On this occasion, it took the most amount of attempts to start and for the first time (and last) I got a warning light on the dash. They plugged it into the diagnostics (independant garage, so a SnapOn i think) and it said intermittent ECU fault. They advised me to go to Ford as it's not their speciality.

I haven't yet, as it was only happening occasionally and sounds expensive, but like you, it seems to be getting a bit more frequent.

I joined to see if I could find out a resolution and I'm encouraged by your post 🙂

I'm no mechanic and don't perceive that I could repair/replace the valve myself, but I'd like to locate the pipe you mentioned to see if it solves the starting issue next time, in order to rule in or out the valve and aid the diagnosis/elimination process.

Any layman's description of where to find it would be appreciated 🙂

Many thanks

John

John,

Searched and found this forum first time as my car had developed very similar symptoms. just took time out in the work car park, got myself oily & found that my flap was sticking too. Have sanded the flap and the inside of the barrel as a temp solution and the car's fired up 6 times on the trot with no issue, which is something it hasn't done for the last week.

As & when I get a day off I'll pull it off and give it a good clean and rub down to hopefully prevent it happening again. Hope this has sorted my problem, either way you're a star!

Joined just to say thanks! Will probably need help going forward anyway.

Cheers

On 1/31/2014 at 9:47 PM, Johnny Men said:

Hi Rob,

Your symptons sound exactly the same as I am experiencing on my 2010 2.0 TDCI Galaxy.

I had it at a garage for a routine service and they naturally couldn't find anything wrong. Ironically, when I left the garage it wouldn't start - which I was genuinely pleased that it happened - nothing more annoying than trying to diagnose an intermittent fault.

On this occasion, it took the most amount of attempts to start and for the first time (and last) I got a warning light on the dash. They plugged it into the diagnostics (independant garage, so a SnapOn i think) and it said intermittent ECU fault. They advised me to go to Ford as it's not their speciality.

I haven't yet, as it was only happening occasionally and sounds expensive, but like you, it seems to be getting a bit more frequent.

I joined to see if I could find out a resolution and I'm encouraged by your post 🙂

I'm no mechanic and don't perceive that I could repair/replace the valve myself, but I'd like to locate the pipe you mentioned to see if it solves the starting issue next time, in order to rule in or out the valve and aid the diagnosis/elimination process.

Any layman's description of where to find it would be appreciated 🙂

Many thanks

John

John,

Searched and found this forum first time as my car had developed very similar symptoms. just took time out in the work car park, got myself oily & found that my flap was sticking too. Have sanded the flap and the inside of the barrel as a temp solution and the car's fired up 6 times on the trot with no issue, which is something it hasn't done for the last week.

As & when I get a day off I'll pull it off and give it a good clean and rub down to hopefully prevent it happening again. Hope this has sorted my problem, either way you're a star!

Joined just to say thanks! Will probably need help going forward anyway.

Cheers

Kav

• 4 weeks later...

Hi 

Old thread I know.

I believe I have the same issue as described above on my 2010 2.0 auto TDCi focus .

Found this thread earlier and decided to give removing the valve and cleaning it a go. Hasn't made any difference unfortunately, as the car will still (at random) sometimes make a couple of attempts at turning over before calling it quits, even though I'm still holding the power button down to start. Other times it will turn over a good amount of time until it successfully fires. I don't have a problem with that, what I don't get is why it quite often will just stop turning over at all. It's also even now developed a relatively new behaviour where occasionally it will half fire and the engine feels like it's going to shake itself to bits for a few seconds before cutting out again. But when it's running all is well.

Hot or cold seems to make no difference as I can often start it in the morning even in freezing weather and it'll start first time, yet other times when I've driven for an hour/ half hour/ any amount of time really, stopped and gone to restart it's taken 3 or four attempts. 

Not got a clue what's wrong with it. May have to sell it while it still has some value left. Shame, as I really like the car and it does what I want it to, but I'm fed up with worrying if it's gonna ***** itself again (already laid out £2400 on mending the gearbox once) and leave me high and dry. 

Just throwing this out there as a last hail Mary in case anyone had any other ideas.

Thanks in advance!

• 6 months later...

Hi all did anyone ever find a solution to the no vacuum coming out of the solenoid to the anti shudder valve? My engine shudders occasionally on idle and when switching off it turns off really harshly checked the valve it’s free but no vacuum going to it so it’s not operating. Ive replaced the solenoid incase it was that but still nothing have voltage to the plug 12v at one pin and 4.1v at the other. I’ve a 2009 focus 2.0 tdci 

thanks 

• 3 months later...

Old thread I know but also having dodgy start problems. As almost above, starts one minute and not the next. Took it to garage and they suggested dodgy start motor. Replaced, collected and got home. Went to pop to shop and exactly same non starting occurred. Another mechanic managed to get it started and took it to his workshop where he suggested flywheel. Checked and said it wasn’t as teeth all looked fine. He start it with me beside him maybe 10-5 times. I drive home, park up and turn off. Go to start it, failed. Find this forum online last night and think “yep, I’ll do that”, but just before I started tinkering, turned the car over and it started first time. Took throttle body off and the valve is open, although the body is caked with deposits. Valve seems like moves freely if a little stiff, but I’ll find out after it’s all cleaned and back on the motor. So, thanks to everyone’s stories and guidance at doing this job. I really hope this solves the problem as the mrs don’t want to drive it if it’s unreliable. Thanks everyone 👍