Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 06 1.6 Tdci - Possible Dpf Problem

Thebogbrush

Hi all,

So I've only owned this car for two weeks and up until a few days ago it was driving perfect. The problem I have is the engine light coming on and the error on the computer saying engine system fault (I think it's that) and the engine goes into limp mode. This happens as soon as the ignition is on and the engine light stays on once the engine has started.

I purchased an obd reader from ebay which read the fault as being a throttle position sensor problem so took it to the garage, he hooked it up to his expensive reader which requires no laptop and it came up with two faults. One being P242f and the other P2458, both relating to the DPF. He tried to remove the codes and one stayed.

Now the car runs fine, no problems what so ever in terms of performance apart from being in limp mode, so now I am just wondering what exactly may need to be done to it. Replacing the DPF is a pricey job I believe and fingers crossed that that's the solution

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Danny

Danny

the dpf may need to regenerate so a nice blast up the motorway to get it to do its thing may be required before it completely goes kaput. have a read on here on how to do it - someone will come along to tell you...

Best answer is take your car on a motorway for the best part of half an hour, keeping your revs as high as possible, so perhaps third or fourth gear, doing about 3.5 to 4 thousand revs for the best part of half an hour. That should get the DPF hot enough to clear any blockages, but you will need to get the EOLYS fluid topped up and the computer reset.

How many miles have you on the clock? it may be due a replacement / removal (however you see fit)

cheers guys. since he reset the code i think it is out of limp mode so will give that a go later on.

its 104,000 miles, has really been looked after though...not sure if it requires a replacement. might have to take it to ford as my local garages say its a ford job.

well never the less, if thats the original - brilliant, if its the second DPF, and the EOLYS hasnt been looked after, then you may need to replace.

Your choice though, as you can replace for £600 - £1000 (dealer dependant) or you can remove and remap your car for less than £350...

i have AA Parts and Labour cover...will that cover this do you know?

tried getting the car up to 3/4000 revs while on the motorway but limp mode kicked in...

dont believe so, as its a consumable, so you would struggle to get a payout.

Try 2.5 - 3k revs see if you can keep it out of limp home mode but get the engine hot enough.

Unfortunately I think you crossed the point of no return...

well never the less, if thats the original - brilliant, if its the second DPF, and the EOLYS hasnt been looked after, then you may need to replace.

Your choice though, as you can replace for £600 - £1000 (dealer dependant) or you can remove and remap your car for less than £350...

i suggest the removal of the dpf and remap is the best option for you - no more dpf to worry about and more power/drivability.

• 3 weeks later...

Right so I've come to the decision of gettig the darn thing removed...I originally booked it into fords and after hearing it will cost 80 quid for a diagnosis and then up to 100 for the fluid etc with no guarantee it will fix te prpblem, it just made sense to get it removed

Now, can anyone recommend somewhere to get it done, either in essex or London?

There are many places. a quick google search turns a lot of results, sinspeed I have heard good stuff about.

I am all in to get rid of it!! I had mine removed from my Focus and it was a big relief, although I am still getting problems. I would recommend to replace the dpf with a pipe (dont drill it or anything, better to just replace it!). I had replaced mine with a CAT-only unit but I will be getting rid of that too since my mechanic noticed that I have a clogged exhaust. Also you can ask the garage to replace the oil feeder pipe and related banjo bolts while he has the dpf out since they are common fault points for these engines. Mine has done around 92k miles by the way

I will have to bear that in mind when calling around to get it booked in.

I spoke to a garage today and I'm sure he said they dont actually remove the unit, he said they don't replace it with a pipe, he said it will look as though nothing as been done to it if you look under the car...I was under the impression they remove it and put a pipe in

If they do a cosmetic removal then the guts of the dpf are removed and the casing is re-welded so on visual inspection it appears to be intact and therefore reduces the risk of failing an MOT.

An MOT inspector is not permitted to start ripping apart your exhaust to check the internal parts.

Right that makes sense, so what is the better option or do you find it don't make much difference? Just aesthetically

if you want the quite mod, remove the guts so you dont draw attention to it, however, if you dont care, get a clean removal done, through pipe on and a remap to cut the emissions...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club