Do Not Sell My Personal Information

05 Mondeo Dodgy Steering Issues

zetec4

Hi, ive recently acquired a 05 mondeo tdci 190k miles on the clock, problem is the steering rack is dodgy, when your driving its okay still a slight clunk,

but when you stop the steering wheel does not turn over to the left, it locks on, you need to shimmy it over to the right and then spin it back over to the left, it then clunks as its spun around,

ive read up a few posts, the seller says it needs a new rack, could it be the UJ or steering column? im thinking i might syphon the old fluid use some pas system cleanser and new fluid see if it helps?

any help much appreciated!

cheers

but when you stop the steering wheel does not turn over to the left, it locks on, you need to shimmy it over to the right and then spin it back over to the left, it then clunks as its spun around,

when you stop what? shimmy it over? over what?

sounds like rack has gone. you can get a recon'd one quite cheap. you wont know without getting underneath car id say. did you ask seller if it IS steering rack definitely?

Basically when you stop the car at the lights or for a turn, the wheel locks on, then you turn the wheel right and it will spin over to the left,

Seller seemed fairly sure it was the rack,

Is there a guide or wiki on how to do it? or do you know, need to get it done in a few hours if I have a rough guide on what i need to drop/ remove to get the rack out I should be okay,

yeah defo rack fubar!! That is DANGEROUS TO DRIVE

DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR TILL IT IS REPAIRED

Seriously that will lock on you while driving and cause a horrible accident!! If you brought that my garage I would seize it under the road traffic act for safety!!

• Like 1

yeah defo rack fubar!! That is DANGEROUS TO DRIVE

DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR TILL IT IS REPAIRED

Seriously that will lock on you while driving and cause a horrible accident!! If you brought that my garage I would seize it under the road traffic act for safety!!

Ditto on that one. I wouldnt even park the car if my steering was in that state lol. if the police stop him he's gonna end up with at least approx 5 penalty points minimum

woah woah you cant seize anyone's car!

Ditto on that one. I wouldnt even park the car if my steering was in that state lol. if the police stop him he's gonna end up with at least approx 5 penalty points minimum

woah woah you cant seize anyone's car!

As an MOT tester I can legally seize any unsafe vehicle and prohibit its use on the public roads. Not sure on the exact process as never had to do it, But its the same process VOSA use on trucks if theyre unsafe.

• Like 1

Touché on the MOT tester part.

Now i can understand the prohibit its use part of your arguement, but the 'seize' part,mmmm i dont know. Surely that would leave the garage in question open to civil lawsuits & compensation penalty etc if they were found to be in the wrong.

Actually im curious to know if this can be done now. I mean,i suppose once a mot tester has signed the failed mot document its legal,but if the car in question isnt due for an mot,then can a garage say "that car isnt fit for driving,it MUST not be driven or else". Then the owner says "well im driving it!",then garage refuses to let him in his car? Can that be done? Dunno about that

Sorry to original poster bout getting off-track

Vehicles allready here, went with a trailer. All my cars have to be spot on, so I intend to repair it by next week.

Woudnt take it to a garage, I can most likely do it at home, can anyone refer me to a guide/ post that gives some hints on how to get it out.

I don't mind going in blind and tryna figure it out, but just wanna get it done in shortest time possible, without faffing around,

Or can anyone possibly tell me if what I need to remove to exchange the rack over?

IIRC you just need a couple of spanners on the MK3 Mondeos. Very simple job. Taking the downpipe off will make access a lot easier. ALSO disconnect the battery for atleast 10 mins before starting the job, or you may set the airbags off!!

When you get a new rack, Go to a car part place with your old rack in hand A: so you can make sure you get the right one, and B: So you dont get clobbered with the surcharge.

I would also recommend new track rod ends at the same time, just as a precautionary measure. PLEASE NOTE new racks dont come with the locking nut for the track rod ends, You will have to remove them and re use them from the original Rack.

Where do u live, I can pop over and show ya how to do it if yer not too far away

Touché on the MOT tester part.

Now i can understand the prohibit its use part of your arguement, but the 'seize' part,mmmm i dont know. Surely that would leave the garage in question open to civil lawsuits & compensation penalty etc if they were found to be in the wrong.

Actually im curious to know if this can be done now. I mean,i suppose once a mot tester has signed the failed mot document its legal,but if the car in question isnt due for an mot,then can a garage say "that car isnt fit for driving,it MUST not be driven or else". Then the owner says "well im driving it!",then garage refuses to let him in his car? Can that be done? Dunno about that

Sorry to original poster bout getting off-track

Its only if its a imminent cause of accident/death you can seize a passenger car, You have to get the police involved and all sorts. Its only a last resort if the customer is refusing to take advise and insists on driving the car regardless.

Ive never had to do it, but I would be very courteous in how I tackled it and explained in real terms the circumstances as to why I feel its dangerous. I would also work with the customer to come to a solution to repair the car on my premesis if they do the work themselves rather than pay me to do it.

I certainly wouldnt be militant about it, But I couldnt live with myself if I could have prevented injury, and didnt do anything

IIRC you just need a couple of spanners on the MK3 Mondeos. Very simple job. Taking the downpipe off will make access a lot easier. ALSO disconnect the battery for atleast 10 mins before starting the job, or you may set the airbags off!!

When you get a new rack, Go to a car part place with your old rack in hand A: so you can make sure you get the right one, and B: So you dont get clobbered with the surcharge.

I would also recommend new track rod ends at the same time, just as a precautionary measure. PLEASE NOTE new racks dont come with the locking nut for the track rod ends, You will have to remove them and re use them from the original Rack.

Where do u live, I can pop over and show ya how to do it if yer not too far away

Thats very nice of you! thanks, but im in south london, bit too far, I should be fine done far worse jobs!

Gonna get it up in the air Monday hopefully, and just pull it out in the morning, Would I need to drop the subframe? Ive only got one jack so bit complicated if I need to support it, Ive read around and most people say to drop the sub to gain access to slide it out

• 2 weeks later...

Finally started on this one! Need to get it done by Saturday preferably,

I just had a look, is it possible to drop the rear end of the subframe down only? Downpipe will be removed only couple bolts, And slide the rack out, i only had a quick glance starting on it tomorrow morning,

The sub is quite big so i presume if I were lowering it, the correct method would be to support it loosen bolts and lower with two jacks, going back and forth either side until its even? Then axle stands,

Any help much appreciated, new to working on fords!

you can do it that way, I just cant remember if the mk3 subframes need location tools. Someone else will know. I know mk1 and 2 needed them.

Best way is to be methodical in what your doing and just take yer time. And make sure you disconnect the battery because messing with the rack can set the airbags off. Dont ask how I know.... :unsure:

nah,doesnt need em. just mark where bolts are. i did my gearobx,took whole subframe down off car,put back on after job finished,& no steering issues that were any different to what it was like before.suppose the correct way is to use locating pins but never known any1 to use them.you wont have to worry anyway as you're only taking one off one side you said

actually steelie you have me curious,how DID you manage to set em off?

how exactly does the rack come out? does it slide out from the side or pull back towards the rear of the car, my cars in the garage and i have no room on either side if thats the case, was speaking to someone who said the rack will slide out from the side?!

Ive only taken mines off from the side. What about if u remove subframe completely

Quick q there's a pipe coming off the rack a rubber pipe that goes nowhere its just got a stop on it? What's that about? It was just tucked away on the side,

Managed to crack both rack mounting bolts with a breaker and 4 extensions from the engine bay, ns bolt wasn't too bad,

New rack is still on its way, so I'm taking my time penetrating the bolts etc, done a service and doing brakes atm,

Its an air regulator/balancer pipe as far as i know. It should be plugged/sealed.

• Like 1

^^ as above. Just gives air room for fluid to jump in and out of during operation. Kinda like a micro overflow tank

its rack out the side im affraid many years in bodyshop and nothing but mk3 mondees focus n trannys in the shop changing subframes shockers n that after sum kind person rented them n do a bit of crash barrier testing trying to squeeze between 3 lorrys i expect :wacko:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club