Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Both Headlights Blown?

JamesEmbling

Hoping somebody could help. 4 days ago my driver dipped beam stopped working and now my passenger dipped has stopped too. Full beams works on both but not dipped, I checked the fuse after the one bulb blew but it was fine, is it usual for bulbs to go as pairs or is there something wrong with electrics? Thanks

No it's not that unusual for them both to blow in relativly close succession, think of it this way a bulb goes due to the ammount of hours it has burned and the ammount of vibration it has endured (the fillament has a finate lifespan) one has gone as the lifespan has been exceded, the other one is exactly the same age and has gone through the same ammount of burn hours (and the vibration as well)

In short don't worry it is perfectly normal. I frequently tell people with only one light on the risks they are running as it is likely (just like you) that the working one is about go.

Phil

Hiya Phil thanks for the reply, before i saw you replied I checked relay switches and connectors on the headlight and all were okay so inn putting it down to the bulbs, what you say makes sense and it's hard to think of it being anything but that, was holding on to buy some 90% brighter bulbs but obviously took too long! Thanks for the help Phil and will let you know how it goes.

I had the same issue, bought and fitted some Osram Nightbreakers about a year ago and both went last week at the same time so bought some XENON Ultima +120% and CREE sidelights just need to wait on them arriving....

It may not be helped by the fact that if one bulb blows it puts extra power through to the other one which may overload it. How many times do you see a car with one headlight working that is extra bright?

Changed the bulbs over yesterday and everything is now working fine, thanks for all the help and suggestions glad it was a simple solution.

Its for that reason that it's recommended that you change bulbs in pairs. If one bulb blows you're aswel just changing both at the same time cause the other one wont be far behind it

I change my bulbs yearly anyway and keep a spare pair of bulbs in the glove box just incase the police pull me for a blown bulb because if you can change it there and then there realy isnt much they can do if you get an officer thats deciding to be a bit narky about it

Yeah that's a good idea actually! Definitely learnt my lesson now and will never leave it if a bulb goes!

I had the same issue, bought and fitted some Osram Nightbreakers about a year ago and both went last week at the same time so bought some XENON Ultima +120% and CREE sidelights just need to wait on them arriving....

I had these in my focus and lasted not very long few weeks at most

I had these in my focus and lasted not very long few weeks at most

Which ones didn't last the Osram or the new one's I bought?

Which ones didn't last the Osram or the new one's I bought?

The new ones if they are ring automotive xenon Ultima plus 120

The new ones if they are ring automotive xenon Ultima plus 120

Hmm I'll keep a close eye on them, thanks for the heads up :)

No worries dunno if it was the auto lights blowing them or just my car

No worries dunno if it was the auto lights blowing them or just my car

I was using auto-lights all the time before, I'm not for the time being see what happens :)

I was talking to a taxi driver the other night about blown lights he claims Halfords do some specifically for high milage/night time drivers like taxis he swears by them but as I have not seen them in action (other than on his car) and I had consumed a few alcoholic beverages so I doubt they are as bling as some of the guys here want. Personally I would rather see and be seen I might just check them out but if they are as good as he claims I doubt I will ever get to the milage to report back. mind I might just investigate my own bulbs as mine is ex taxi too and it has covered LOTS of miles! over 300k and as the car was on the same company and rank as the driver who took me home he may have a point.

Phil

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club