Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermitent Starting Problem With Focus Sport 1.6 2012 Model

welshpete44

I'm having an intermittent starting problem with my Focus sport, sometimes when I turn the engine it just makes a clicking sound and wont start at all. It will then turn over after a jump start. Any ideas what the problem could be, called to Ford dealers for a diagnostic but they said they cant do anything unless the car is brought to them when the problem is occurring.

battery or connection problem

could also be a starter motor/connection problem

might pay to have battery tested, plus remove and clean the terminals/clamps, follow the main leads from battery and check/clean those connections too.

My mate had a similar issue on a new Focus. The battery connections were loose.

battery or connection problem

could also be a starter motor/connection problem

might pay to have battery tested, plus remove and clean the terminals/clamps, follow the main leads from battery and check/clean those connections too.

When you say Jump Start , your using a battery Booster right? , Don't jump start it off another Car you could damage the ECU.

battery o.k. yeah it was jumped of a battery booster by breakdown guy, all connections fine plus earths.

When I turn the key I get a whirring noise .

so your getting clicking and/or whirring?

clicking...starter/battery/connection problem

whirring...starter/ring gear problem

Check the battery is installed correctly, the contact grips that go around the terminal need to be properly located at the bottom of the terminal closest to the battery. I had this exact same problem, the battery was not charging as the contact was not being made properly.