Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Long Do Discs And Pads Last?

frostman83

Front brakes never felt sharp since I had the car. 59 plate original discs and pads. 37k on clock. I can hear a grinding noise which i presume is from the front. Shall I replace both discs and pads? Discs have slight line marks on them from a visual inspection. Shall I haut change the lot?

i always change the disks and the pads together usually the disks have a lip on them by that piont how long they last is anyones guess at least 1-2 years depending on mileage

I always recommend new discs with new pads, regardless of whether the disc are worn or not from a safety POV.

And always always fit an axle set never just one side, I have know people to do this and its just plain dangerous!!

Longevity depends on a multitude of factors, but you should be getting your car serviced every 6 months so you can keep an eye on wear then!

And one biggy I bet NO ONE knows. BRAKE FLUID!! MUST BE CHANGED EVERY 2 YEARS REGARDLESS OF MILAGE

Brake fluid is Hygroscopic = absorbs water. So we change it to make sure your fluid wont boil and ultimately brakes fail.

When was the last time you changed the fluid?? Seeing as yours is a 59 its due its second fluid change, And Ill also wager the lack of sharp brakes is down to the fluid not being upto spec.

Well it was meant to have had a 3 year service from ford when I picked it up 2 months ago , they did it apparently.

It passed an mot also , but the breaks IMO where not as sharp as they should be.

Will get the new pads and discs on as I may aswell do it now.

Well it was meant to have had a 3 year service from ford when I picked it up 2 months ago , they did it apparently.

It passed an mot also , but the breaks IMO where not as sharp as they should be.

Will get the new pads and discs on as I may aswell do it now.

Even if its just for peice of mind, for the sake of 20 mins, I would defo do the fluid aswell! I do on my personal vehicles. My motorbikes fluid is changed every 3 months, but thats mainly because the reservoir is in the open and gets drowned. My cars is every set of pads n discs which the way I drive is just about 12 months ish (track day use aswell)

Cool thanks for the advice. Will get the fluid changed over too.

Are the rear drums harder to replace ?do they wear out quicker?

rear drums last ages. The main thing with those is everytime you remove them to inspect the shoes, is to take the lip off the inner edge of the drum to make it easier to get off again next time. Id expect you to get 50,000 to a drum before its worn. And shoes should last 25,000 atleast. The rear brakes dont actually do a great deal, hence why some cars are still on drums. Its cheaper to make and the stopping power isnt needed.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club