Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange Corrosion, 58' Ford Focus

talksy

Hello,

I own a 59 plate Focus and I don't seem to have this, my friend has a 58 plate and on both of his door sils by the front wheel, there is this strange patch of corrosion.

Do any other owners have this, or know what could have caused it?

Thanks

Here are a couple of shots of the offside sill:

2013-05-12134526HDR_zps2bbd173d.jpg2013-05-12134522HDR_zps738e1d92.jpg

looks like maybe it got chipped and then rust has set it. best to get it repaired asap before it gets worse.

defo stone chip that. Get it seen to asap to prevent it getting ay worse

Fit some mud Flaps , just incase it was caused from a stone from the front wheels

Fit some mud Flaps , just incase it was caused from a stone from the front wheels

Exactly what i was going to say - this is the 1st bit to "go" then the bottom of the doors & sills, all getting "sand blasted" over time from stones getting thrown up from the front tyres

Hi thanks for your posts. I just can't believe how identical it is on both sides.

Where can I get the mud flaps you recomend, do they do them on eBay?

I wonder if it is worth getting any for my car. I don't have any marks on mine, yet! But mine has done half the mileage his has done!

plenty of mudflaps found on eBay that are perfect fitment for the focus.

Definitely a common problem on the Focus.

My '08 is going in tomorrow for the sills to be sprayed under the curve of the rear door (both sides)

My colleagues '07 also has this corrosion in the exact same place.

My boss' '08 also has this corrosion in the exact same place.

I have looked at 5 cars this week (passing in car parks, car dealers etc) that have all had this corrosion, including a '10 plate!!!!

I bought my car in Jan '12, and had the dealer respray the sill's at the end of Jan, by mid-Feb, the paint was peeling off. I had them re-do it after giving them some advice, which they didn't follow as it came back again by summer time. This winter has made them far worse of course, but it is going in to an independent body shop tomorrow to be done properly.

See my photos in my drop box, https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hnjrhlydlfbq0q9/MojtIWuAx0

Oh, I've got the photo complete backwards in my mind, but my '08 just so happens to have a rust spot in the exact same place on the passenger side!!!!

My 2008 mk2.5 focus also has paint chipped in the same place as yours,think I'll be investing in some mud flaps also after seeing a thread on this forum I thought I'd clean behind the inner wing here is what I got out.it can't be good all that wet silt on the inner sil also the foam sound proofing was soaking wet had to ring it out.

post-43008-0-42068200-1368387420_thumb.j

Thanks very much for the posts. The amount of dust and grime sucofdrof got in his dustpan is quite concerning. I feel quite lucky that my 09 is still in pristine condition. Maybe it was garaged by the last owner (its done 27k). How did you get behind the inner wing? Did you need to remove parts?

FFZ thanks very much for your images, my friend's car also has these paint chips in addition to the rust spots in the op. You mention you took it to a dealer, did they undertake the repair work for free or did you need to pay?

I am guessing you are having to pay for the independent body shop work?

I have found a range of mud flaps on eBay. If anyone can recomend a particular set for the saloon 2008-2009 onwards model (maybe if you own some and have found them to be good), I would really appreciate it! :rolleyes:

They repaired it under their warranty twice, I wouldn't take it back again, as they made it worse!

I am paying for the work, it's just gone into the bodyshop this morning.

They repaired it under their warranty twice, I wouldn't take it back again, as they made it worse!

I am paying for the work, it's just gone into the bodyshop this morning.

I see. I can't say I rate their repair jobs, I have been at the recieveing end of some particularly shoddy workmanship before.

Does anyone know how long the warranty is for paint? I wonder if it is worth my friend getting in touch with them.

We both owned 04 Astras before our Foci and they didn't have a bit of rust on them.

the ford ones fit into the existing bodywork holes ie the bolts holes for the bottom sill trim in the wing and sill i put mine on and it makes a big difference mine are genuine ford i would fit the front and the rears though many of the st ones you need to drill a hole in the wing to fit them im sure theres other ways of fitting them but ive seen many lying at the side of the road so i assume they come off easily

I have found these ones, which look ok. What would the difference between these and the ST ones be?

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_front_mudflap_set_2005_to_2010_f_1387727_c_340.htm

they would do the job fine.

check prices on eBay as i have seen the same ones got for a lot less

as said I would fit the ford ones as they use excising holes so no messing about with making new ones.

got mine direct from ford where a bit pricey but worth it imho as they will stop stones from chiping th paint work.

ask this person to make you a set:

http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/topic/132432-mudflaps/

i have a set of what he is making and they fit directly into the pre-drilled holes on the car and i didnt even have to take of the alloys.

similar looking to these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rally-Mudflaps-fits-Ford-Focus-RS-MK2-Gloss-Black-PVC-/160467282075?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AFocus&hash=item255c98689b#ht_1651wt_721

they will stop so much muck going on your car. i constantly am cleaning mine due to the amount of muck it collects.

ask this person to make you a set:

http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/topic/132432-mudflaps/

i have a set of what he is making and they fit directly into the pre-drilled holes on the car and i didnt even have to take of the alloys.

similar looking to these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rally-Mudflaps-fits-Ford-Focus-RS-MK2-Gloss-Black-PVC-/160467282075?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AFocus&hash=item255c98689b#ht_1651wt_721

they will stop so much muck going on your car. i constantly am cleaning mine due to the amount of muck it collects.

Thanks for your posts. I tried the fist link, but it said I am not the correct member.

I think the original link I put up was for genuine Ford mudflaps.

Another idea, the two ztec s models in my images below have different skirting. Maybe I could 'upgrade' and get the skirting, plus bumper skirts. Would make my car look much nicer and would protect the original skirting underneath (I am presuming)!

IMG_1269.jpg26145989.jpg

the skirts are very difficult to find/very rare to find 5 door ones unless you modify 3 door ones to fit and you will not find any genuine/ford fitment mudflaps. Lenny has fitted some universal mudflaps to his car and they look good.

Is it possible to modify the 3 door skirts Sal? Have you seen it before?

Do you simply remove the extra plastic? Do they look good after such a mod?

I've only seen one set on eBay where they trimmed off the plastic and they did a pretty good job of it so it is possible to cut it and make it good.

Well after seeing how much silt had gotten in to my inner wing i have deciced to take the plunge and have got my self a set of these ; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Genuine-Ford-Focus-Mud-Flaps-Mudflaps-2008-onwards-/230403640623?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35a5208d2f These were the cheapest genuine ford mud flaps i could find (polar ford were wanting £70) also this video is great for any one who is wanting to fit the genuine flaps http://youtu.be/bD2ZTwKLO0I

Youll be surprised if you look at the tyre and imagine road spray with salt and grit flying off the tyre the sill is right there it basically gets sand blasted the flaps cover that area very nicely so you should keep the sill looking nice for a while longer

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club