Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Warning Light....

KatePocket

Yesterday my engine warning light came on, and it has stayed on. I did the diagnostic check which i have seen somewhere else today - turn ignition key to II and held down the trip button. It said "TEST" and then it said "GAGE" and that was it....

any ideas?

Yesterday my engine warning light came on, and it has stayed on. I did the diagnostic check which i have seen somewhere else today - turn ignition key to II and held down the trip button. It said "TEST" and then it said "GAGE" and that was it....

any ideas?

I took my car to the garage yesterday and they conected it to the Dignostic computer...i don't know the ins and outs cos i wasn't there but they told me that it was the oxegen sensor which didn't like the fuel i was using. They haven't actually reset it and they've said that if i fill up at Esso or Shell then it was sort itself out. They said that it was a common problem with fords apparently? Anyone else has this problem?

Your car is forcing you to use more expensive petrol? How rude! Though I suppose if you have a new baby, you should only put good stuff in it. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Your car is forcing you to use more expensive petrol? How rude! Though I suppose if you have a new baby, you should only put good stuff in it. Hope you get it sorted soon.

I know, i was collecting club card points at Tesco for Airmiles too :( oh well...will have to see how it goes with the Shell fuel.

I know, i was collecting club card points at Tesco for Airmiles too :( oh well...will have to see how it goes with the shell fuel.

Sounds like a load of b******s to me--I'm running my car on Morrison's finest 95 octane petrol and it runs like a dream.

Sometimes I treat it to Tesco's finest 95 octane and occasionally it gets a real treat--Asda's finest 95 octane.

I've always used supermarket fuel in all my cars with no detrimental effects and I don't think there's any difference in petrol except the octane rating etc.

Take it back to the garage and tell them to sort the problem out! B)

i agree with hedgepig,

doesn't make any difference where your fuel is from it should not bring your management light on. is your car running ok? if it was just a case of bad fuel, which it isn't, then why did he not clear the fault code anyway?

steve

sr-performance.co.uk

i agree with hedgepig,

doesn't make any difference where your fuel is from it should not bring your management light on. is your car running ok? if it was just a case of bad fuel, which it isn't, then why did he not clear the fault code anyway?

steve

sr-performance.co.uk

they said that apparently it will sort itself out when its had some different fuel in. I've not paid them yet, and i don't intend on paying them if it's not right.

They did say it was my oxegen sensor (am i right in thinkin that is Lambda?) so perhaps i am better of getting that replaced?

The car is running absolutely fine, no problems at all...and i do about 500 miles a week too.

usually when lambda goes car tends to run like a pig... did you actually see them plug diagnostics in? any decent garage should be able to check it for you and not rip you off in process!! :)

steve

sr-performance.co.uk

usually when lambda goes car tends to run like a pig... did you actually see them plug diagnostics in? any decent garage should be able to check it for you and not rip you off in process!! :)

steve

sr-performance.co.uk

Define "runs like a pig" ?! I've always complained about my fuel economy since i got the car - it will do an absolute maximum of 330miles no matter where i drive or how i drive, and it's been suggested that it could be my Lambda Sensors, but i've never done anything about it.

I didn't take the car in - my dad took it for me..and i've not yet had a bill..so i am relying on what my dad tells me!! He said they said that they put it on the computer and it said it was my oxygen sensor and then said that he's had a lot of fiestas in with the same problem, and it usually sorts it self out when some "proper" fuel is put in it.

So i filled up at Shell yesterday...i've drive 30ish miles since then....and the light in still on.....!

It is running absolutely fine, nothing obvious when looking in the bonnet, and no strange noises...although i know this means nothing.

Its a MK6 05 plate Flame.

So, i really don't know what to do. I am reluctant to pay the mechanics until the light goes off...otherwise they have just completely screwed me over!

Any help or advice is appreciated...thanks!

Hiya, your light wont go away without it being taken off, it prob is your lambda if he did put it on emissions tester. shoudnt cost too much for a new one tho and very easy to fit. still crap about fuel though!! when lambda is faulty is gives wrong readings to your ecu so it may be overfuelling hence poor fuel consumption.. hope this helps. :)

steve

www.sr-performance.co.uk

Hiya, your light wont go away without it being taken off, it prob is your lambda if he did put it on emissions tester. shoudnt cost too much for a new one tho and very easy to fit. still crap about fuel though!! when lambda is faulty is gives wrong readings to your ecu so it may be overfuelling hence poor fuel consumption.. hope this helps. :)

steve

www.sr-performance.co.uk

It gets more confusing though....there is a Lambda and a Lambda post cat....i suppose if i ring the garage i took it to they should be able to tell me..if they can't then i'm definately not paying them!!

I've had a look about and i can a new one for £15 so its a small price to pay for something which might save me a lot more in the long run.

Thanks for all of the advice!

at a guess it's prob the post lambda thats gone as your engine runs ok.. but the garage will def be able to tell you which one.. hope ya get sorted!! :)

steve

www.sr-performance.co.uk

I took my car to the garage yesterday and they conected it to the Dignostic computer...i don't know the ins and outs cos i wasn't there but they told me that it was the oxegen sensor which didn't like the fuel i was using. They haven't actually reset it and they've said that if i fill up at Esso or Shell then it was sort itself out. They said that it was a common problem with fords apparently? Anyone else has this problem?

Should have asked the guy if he was a fool! ALL fuels are made to a standard and meet that standard so fuels from tesco,morrisons etc are all ok, you`ve been fobbed off. The lambda sensors last several years and once coated with unburnt fuel/soot/dirt start flagging up error codes so change it!

When the lambda goes, you may not even notice any difference and it might only be picked up at an MOT test.......my sons was!

it will do an absolute maximum of 330miles no matter where i drive or how i drive

Mine's a Mk6 1.4 and i have the same issue it says it should be 46mpg and i bearly get 36 if i drive economically. Which is about 330 miles ish, it's the same every week no matter how i drive... They seem to quote very highly on their fuel economy to be fair.

your light wont go away without it being taken off

I had my warning light come on after i was messing around with it putting my mates cheap temperature senser thing on it (it made it do 10.8 seconds to 60 rather than my usual 12.8) but it later brought on the warning light

I was stressing because ford wanted £85 just to look at it (i knew what i was wrong, we had done it!) luckily my beloved fiesta turned the light off itself! =) But i'm not putting that chip in it even if it does make it that much faster!!

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't got this sorted!! Light is still on....i've been to Shell 4 times and filled up(thought i might as well give it a long shot!!)!

I got a billl yesterday from the Mechanic for £40.25..not really sure what to do about it to be honest. I don't know whether to just pay it and get a new Lambda and fit it myself (not myself..but not at a garage)or whether i should ring him and ask why he didn't do anything about it and tell him that he was wrong and that i refuse to pay until he fixes the problem.

Any advice welcome.

I've also just noticed something on the bill...it says "Investigate engine management fault - perform diagnostic check - reset ECU" they've not blosoy reset the ECU cos the light is on!!!!!

ps. does anyone know where i can get the lead so that i can use the software myself?! A lad at my work is car mad and he suggests this!!

i have put a post in the MPG thread. i get around 45-50 mpg out of mine. exact same car as yours. can get about 75mpg out of it if i drive really really economically on a run.

try not to use premium fuel, it uses more. my mate didnt believe and i proved it brim to brim on the same journey.

whereabouts in yorkshire are you?

steve

Just outside of Skipton.

i have put a post in the MPG thread. i get around 45-50 mpg out of mine. exact same car as yours. can get about 75mpg out of it if i drive really really economically on a run.

try not to use premium fuel, it uses more. my mate didnt believe and i proved it brim to brim on the same journey.

Wow, so there really is something wrong then!!

I rang the garage yesterday and he said he would reset it again on friday morning, but he couldn't even tell me which lambda it was...so i think i'll go so i can find that out but then i'll be getting it sorted out elsewhere!!

Hiya, bit too far for me to pop up and check it for you, pity cos if he say's it's a lambda then it should also tell him which one. would have saved you going back to garage again.. hope you get sorted out properly this time.

steve

www.sr-performance.co.uk

• 5 years later...

I have same problem.

I've changed my oxygen sensor. I've drove 45 miles to work and engine light is back on. Car is running fine. Before I changed it it was the oxygen sensor. Is now the catalytic converter or??????