Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lost Key And No Spare

focusdriver

I've been really stupid and lost my remote key and fob, and have never had a spare - I never got round to getting one made.

The AA have bought my car home but I need to sort out a replacement key - if I can't find it tomorrow when I go and look for it.

My car is a 55 plate 1.8 Diesel. Can anyone recommend someone to make a replacement, I live in the Swansea area. Also, whether I can program the replacement myself or if I'll need to get it done by a professional.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Your options are limited really, either go to Ford and brace yourself with your wallet wedged open or call on a local Mobile Auto Locksmith.

Do you have key protection on your car insurance?

A call to them and paying the applicable excess will get you a basic transponder (non remote locking) key that will unlock and start your car and after that I strongly recommend you get another key made up, there are loads of new and uncut keys available on eBay.

The keys will need to be coded to your immobiliser via the data port (OBDII) in the car using the appropriate IDS module.

I personally have three keys to my car, the two original ones and a flip key I got made as soon as I bought the car for daily use so that if I lose one then I still have the original keys to fall back on.

Hard luck fella; most of us have been there!

Avoid Ford dealerships and the AA etc - it wont be cheap but they charge a fortune. Try local mobile locksmiths, Yellow pages, small car parts shops or indeed the Police!

Bottom line is - get quotes before work commences!

Good luck

Police (i.e. me) prompt the driver to call a local mobile locksmith, I have a number I recommend for anyone in Devon.

Last time I dealt with someone who lost his keys the AA called in a locksmith who charged him £250 for a basic key and entry to the vehicle, he had just paid when my dog found the key for him.

He was a bit miffed but at least I found the key for him ;)

• Like 1

Contact your insurer, some have key protection services (Key Cover) whereby any costs assosciated with a lost or damaged key can be covered by the insurer up to a pricely some of £1000.

Got to be worth a call hasnt it?

• 2 years later...

You should check out these guys auto locksmith - One of their specialities are in replacements keys.

They provide quick service and helped me out a lot when I lost my key a while back.

I hope this helps.

If you were local to me , we charge about £180 to come out and supply and programme a remote key for this ford .

It's an old post but give me a call if your not sorted.

I can put you onto a trustworthy autolocksmith in your area.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club