Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Servicing Opinions Please

Andyman

Hi all,

I have a 2009 1.6 petrol, titanium spec,

Ive had the car nearly a year and it is still under its 1 year warranty and its just ticked 18100 miles only and is due for an Mot and service.

The selling dealer said theyd done a big service when I got it though it doesnt state that in the history book-just states its had a service.

My 2 questions are.

Do I have a small or big service???.

Also and more importantly do I use main dealer or my usual small garage??

At small garage I could get a big service for price of small servuce at dealer and my garage wouldnt charge for loan car either but would it effect value of my car by using only small garage???.

One more issue is on gentle accelleration I still get this slight missing sort of sensation like very gentle jerking or hesitation,

My father in law thinks its the drive by wire throttle???,

Different fuels make no deifference though, advice appreciated as I dont want to have to pay out for car to go on their computer..

Advice would be very much appreciated.

This is only my personal opinion but I would go for small & small (service & garage).

18,000 miles for a 4 year old car is low mileage so why have a major service. Small garage good as long as you know and trust it. No point in paying for all the overheads at a main dealer (have you seen how many people are wandering in and out of doors at those garages).

I have a 2010 1.6 Titanium model and do not experience the hesitation you describe on gentle acceleration. Could it be simply a small clearance (backlash) in the accel pedal attachment to the transducer which does not show when you strongly accelerate. Is there a spring somewhere in the mechanism which has gone weak and would normally eliminate backlash. Do not believe the electronic showed have any noticeable delay.

Just my personal thoughts.

I would go for the big service as some of the service intervals relate to age as much as mileage. Brake fluid should be changed if it hasn't already been as it breaks down over a period of time and becomes contaminated with water.

A good Indy should be OK.

I use a main dealer as I took out a service agreement which worked out cheaper when I bought the car. £519 for 3 years servicing and free European Breakdown cover.

If you bought car from Ford and its over 3 years old are you not able to get there value service package?

http://www.smc-cars.com/servicing/servicing-with-smc/types-of-servicing/3-year-servicing

Or

http://www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/VehicleServiceandRepair/ServicingyourFord/VehicleServicing/FordValueService

Minor service is £99 and major is £165

I also have 09 (but a cmax) they said it had a major service last so I just went for a minor service, mines done 25k, next one ill do major probs

+1 for major service. A focus will keep on going and going, but they need to be maintained to a high standard. I have a customer with an '03' 1.8 zetec over 400k on the clock, and she's as sweet as a nut. Don't skimp it will only cause problems in the long run.

Thanks eceryone,

Your adbice is much appreciated.

I will call dealership re cheaper servicing,

If no luck then will use my little garage.

Will find out cost of coolant and brake fluid change etc.

Will keep jn touch.

Cheers again everyone.

If you bought car from Ford and its over 3 years old are you not able to get there value service package?

http://www.smc-cars.com/servicing/servicing-with-smc/types-of-servicing/3-year-servicing

Or

http://www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/VehicleServiceandRepair/ServicingyourFord/VehicleServicing/FordValueService

Minor service is £99 and major is £165

I also have 09 (but a cmax) they said it had a major service last so I just went for a minor service, mines done 25k, next one ill do major probs

I am interested in the Ford major service for £165 but I can't see that option, just the £99 one!

I am interested in the Ford major service for £165 but I can't see that option, just the £99 one!

1st link, 2nd paragraph of bullet points. Your only allowed this if you bought the car from a dealer new or used.

Bless ya all,

I'm planning to book car in for a value £99 service and mot.

Other issue I have is the hesitation jirking feeling on gentle accelleration,

A co worker has just bought a focus same as mine, same engine year etc but has done 50k and she let me take it on a drive yesturday to compare and her throttle feels looser and better than mine and accellerates a lot smoother than mine and with no issues.

Could it be the pedal or the drive by wire throttle???,

Defo not right,

This puts me in a quandry as ive enough koney to get the coolant and brake fluid and pollon filter changed but not if this issue is going to cost me money to get diagnosed,

Warrenty shoukd cover repair but not diagnosis, is this correct please???.

Thanks for your support and advice everyone.

Surely warranty covers diagnostics if a fault is suspected?

I just got this done, at 37,000 miles and 4 1/2 years:

http://www.omcmotorgroup.co.uk/ford/aftersales/view/333/Gold-Service-199

The 3 year service I did as you are considering, the silver service (http://www.omcmotorgroup.co.uk/ford/aftersales/view/332/Silver-Service-129), which was essentially oil and oil filter change, air filter change and a stamp in my book!

I held off the usual 3 year major service (looks to be silver + fuel filter) due to the low mileage. I decided the "age" components could wait for another year, with the exception of the oil of course (which I'm trying to change every 10,000 miles), and didn't have any problems with this approach. I also had my DPF fluid topped up, although this is not relevant to you!

Thanks everyone,

Byron you appear to be correct, I have booked the focus into john grose this Friday to find out what the jirking n hesitating issue is.

Anyone know how good the ford warranty is ???,

I just pray the whole issue can be identified and corrected all under warrenty.

Then I'd be able to afford to get the fluids changed with the service and mot.

Will keep you all posted.

Have a good day everyone.

Andy.

I just got this done, at 37,000 miles and 4 1/2 years:

http://www.omcmotorgroup.co.uk/ford/aftersales/view/333/Gold-Service-199

The 3 year service I did as you are considering, the silver service (http://www.omcmotorgroup.co.uk/ford/aftersales/view/332/Silver-Service-129), which was essentially oil and oil filter change, air filter change and a stamp in my book!

I held off the usual 3 year major service (looks to be silver + fuel filter) due to the low mileage. I decided the "age" components could wait for another year, with the exception of the oil of course (which I'm trying to change every 10,000 miles), and didn't have any problems with this approach. I also had my DPF fluid topped up, although this is not relevant to you!

I take it SMC & OMC are different areas of Ford UK?

That silver and gold service look like the SMC value and major services but dearer, my £99 service included a 30 point safety check, see here:

Well dealer had my car last Friday and they went through it,

However they checked everything and found nothing wrong, no error codes at all but they said theyd reset the cam sensor or somthing, what ever that means.

But since I got it back ive not had any issues!!.

I shall see how things go over the next couple of weeks.

I will call the dealer up tomorrow and book it in for a value service along with the brake fluid and coolant change and MOT.

Cheers all,

Best wishes Andy.

Hi mate, I have no idea what they use,

Is their Shell oils good or bad??.

Good oil i thought they used there motorcraft brand but now its Shell ultra

Well as long as its a good thing then I dont mind lol.