Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Mondeo 2.2 Tdci Turbo Problem

Hatton920

Hi all,

Ive recently had a new turbo and electronic control box fitted to my 58 plate mondeo with 90k. Now the car keeps going into limp home mode, the local garage have plugged into the car and came up with fault P2562 Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor A Circuit. An auto electrician has looked at it today and said no power is going to the turbo actuator. For half a mile or so the car runs normal with plenty of boost and then goes into limp home mode, surely if the actuator wasn't getting power the turbo wouldn't boost? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this system as the auto electrician doesn't have one for this mondeo and is struggling to find one. Been without the car for over a week now and really need it back.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

goto auto-professionals website. download etis/wiring diagrams.

for gods sake,introduce yourself 1st or they'll eat you alive.(eh patrian).

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the forum!,

The turbo could boost with the electronic actuator completely off/ disconnected from the car - it would boost and run normally up to the point that there was too much boost (usually at higher revs/ under a heavy load - eg when you were "booting" it) at which point the car would go into limp home mode - if you drove the car gentle enough/ changed up early with the minimum of throttle it may be ok (just don't go uphill!)

The actuator controls the VNT mech/ vanes via a control rod, these vanes direct exhaust gasses towards the turbine - it helps the turbo boost up from low revs and higher revs, and controlls the maximum boost pressure (there is no seperate wastegate, the VNT mech works like a wastegate)

The VNT mech/ variable vanes can get siezed/ the proper amount of travel can be reduced or the mech has a high resistance because the mech gets coked up with carbon from the exhaust - this can have a "knock-on" sffect on the actuator (puts the SWR up puts a high load on actuator motor/ control electronics/ a sticking mech can damage the actuator)

So you must make sure the VNT / vanes/ control rod are all working ok before you fix the actuator - the VNT may need to be removed/ decoked/ rebuilt, or replaced or at least checked/ loosened off

You used to have to buy the whole manifold/ turbo/ actuator from Ford, (at an extortionate price) but there are specalist repairers that repair actuators on an exchange basis, there is one part in the actuator that "burns out" 1st (i don't know which bit, im sure the reparers would not tell us - possibly the motor, or it could be a £1 component?) - you can pick up the actuators secondhand online.

Hey, Thanks for your detailed response. Im asumming the vnt is part of the turbo/actuator? The turbo and actuator are brand new off the shelf garrett items. The garage and an independent auto electrician are both saying the electrical actuator isn't getting any power, and we are struggling to get a wiring diagram so further tests can be done.

Thanks again

Steve

I told you where the wiring diagrams are. Do a little legwork mate. Its not difficult. I told you what website,what to do & how,& ur still here saying u cant get them.Im sitting here looking at them right now

Hi,

I did download a version of etis but it didn't have any wiring diagrams at all. Im now downloading another one which should have them.

Thanks

Steve

VNT stands for Variable Nozzle Turbo, it is the type of turbo with variable vanes that direct exhaust gasses onto the turbine, also known as a variable vane turbo

The other main type of turbo is the fixed vane type (normally with wastegate)

The part that cokes up (the VNT mech) is attached to the exhaust manifold, not the turbine/ cartrige/ bearing/ compressor/ compressor housing, of course, if you got the whole lot that does not matter

I wonder if a fuse is blown/ (power for the actuator?) the signal for the actuator comes off the ECU so i hope thats ok

edit - got cars/ posts mixed up (especially as OPs avatar says "Focus 1.8", and we are discussing Mondeo mk4 2.2)

You need the 2008 version. If u look for a post where i asked for svg viewer on Auto-professionals,youll need that as well to view diagrams. Any probs ask patrian,hes very good.

hmmm not sure why but its showing me having a focus 1.8 lol ive got a 58 plate mk4 mondeo 2.2 tdci lol

No lol. Foca said I had a mk3 2l engine??

• Like 1

lol. its quite a laborious effort to get etis,but once you have it,its great. Ive got the full ford IDS etc off there,& just waiting on an interface arriving. my PC's all to hell so need to format it,so i'll be needing etis once more also.

remember to follow the instructions for installing it,to the letter.

ps:its a great website eh. you can get almost ANY software there ie BMW/VAG/Opel(VH) etc,all free. (just takes a bit of patience installing it all) :)

I've found a diagram which shows the actuator is wired directly to the ecu with no fuses etc. I've printed that off and passed to the garage. See what they come up with. I'm tending to think maybe the new actuator is faulty.

• 4 weeks later...

hi everyone kenny here got a 2006 mondeo est 2.0 130 hp problem sticking

Actuator flashing light each morning i give it a nudge on arm why mate revs a little then its fine most of the day would you say its knackered or would you clean out the turbo first ? Using REVIVE TURBO CLEANER RESTORER ? Thanks

hi everyone kenny here got a 2006 mondeo est 2.0 130 hp problem sticking

Actuator flashing light each morning i give it a nudge on arm why mate revs a little then its fine most of the day would you say its knackered or would you clean out the turbo first ? Using REVIVE TURBO CLEANER RESTORER ? Thanks

WASTE OF TIME pal, actuator needs to be stripped down PROPERLY & decoked/ freed up, "snake oil"/ "miracle cures" are a total waste of time/ money apart from possibly working for a short time / in an emergency