Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Needed - 2005 Fiesta Cutting Out

jasnemo

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone on here can shed some light on a problem i have with my 2005 1.4 fiesta.....

A few days ago it started cutting out (whilst driving) with three warning lights coming on:

Engine Warning

Temperature Warning

Ingnition Warning.

I went to Kwik fit as it was the only place open, they thought it was the battery (as i still had the original one in) and so changed it and said it was working fine. Unfortunately within 15 minutes of leaving them the same fault happened. I took it back to them, they said it musnt have been the battery so put my old one back in and told me to go elsewhere as they didnt know what the problem was.

I took it to another local garage (who have been brilliant in the past) but they too couldnt find any faults or explanation as to why the car keeps cutting out (same three lights coming on). They contacted Ford who said that I would need to take it to them.......

But Ford couldnt tell me what was wrong either!! I was advised that I could get parts replaced such as the starter motor and battery but they couldnt guarantee it would fix it.

Has anyone else had or heard of this problem and if so what the fix was?

Thank you

Claire

I think those lights tend to come on when the car stalls anyway. Is it happening all the time or is it ok once the car has warmed up abit?

Also is it petrol or diesel?

Hi Dan its a petrol it happens at different times during driving. I can be slowing down, speeding up or just tottering along the road and it cuts out. The garage had trouble getting it started as well when i went to pick it up.

Oh i forgot to add, on two occasions the three lights came on whilst driving but when went off again when i pressed the accelerator.

DOnt know if that helps!!

What is the temperature dial like when the lights come on? Does the temperature get too high?

Temp is always within the normal range usualy just above the middle of the gauge

And do you feel it struggling or kindve chugging just before it cuts off?

not before it cuts out but it has chugged a couple of times when driving and when idle

Possibly misfiring? Id try spark plugs and HT leads first

When was it last serviced?

thanks dan, will give those a try and see what happens, it had a full service in January

Spark plugs should have been changed at service then. Maybe worth checking your coolant aswel see what colour it is?

• 3 months later...

Taken from my thread on this:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< UPDATE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I purchased a cheap throttle position sensor from eBay for £15 (genuine part normally costs £70), fitted it and didn't solve the problem, so moving on.

After some research this is what I have found with regards to the stuttering/fuel starvation/misfiring :::

ecutesting.com :::

This common fault of misfire on two cylinders or complete non start is often caused by the ignition coil pack shorting out on the vehicle - it is very important that the ignition coil pack is replaced at the same time as refitting your ECU after it has been repaired - or your faulty coil pack may damage the repaired ECU. - http://www.ecutestin...u_misfire_.html

EXCELLENT thread from RAC.co.uk on this topic :::

Lots of detail into this very common Focus MK1 98-04 fault here:

How I think the problem occurred :::

I believe that when the speed sensor started malfunctioning I continued to drive the car, which may have caused the faulty speed sensor to damage the Ignition Coil Pack which then damaged the ECU.

How I'm going to tackle it now :::

Take out the ECU, read it's part number and send the ECU off for repair/replacement by ecutesting.com for (hopefully) £150.

Purchase new ignition coil pack for £25.

Will let you know how it goes :)

• 5 years later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club