Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Xenon Headlamp Retrofit

jon-v8

Jari i have some good news. I went on a loom hunt this afternoon and i was successful after much fiddling with the car because i wasn't sure what side the sensor would be on i took off the wheels and took off the wheel inner arch (very fiddly to put back on) and i found the loom for the sensor, as things stand my car is fully equip with all looms for HID lights.

The image you post of what the sensor plug looks like is correct i found that sensor and i also found another wiring for the water bottle motor to power the lights washers.

I will post up some pics later.

The loom is the same for adaptive lighting aswell so anyone with adaptive lights can also retrofit HID on their focus.

This mod is very much possible for me and i will be adding it to my list. on the subject of washers i have two choices, cut the hole for the washer jets or purchase a new ST bumper, this means i will lose my DRL's...

Great stuff! But where is connector for HID control module and where is this "halogen jumper" located? If this "jumper" or whatever it is is not repositioned, according to schematics HID lights would still get leveling signal from manual knob and who knows if signal level is even compatible... Also HID module would be wired totally wrong without moving this jumper...

According to schematics these wires are not routed through GEM, so it cannot be software only thing...

Edit: And who would crash his HID-equipped car for me and sell HID related parts for me? Anyone? ;) Buying everything from scrap yards will be quite expensive, at least here in Finland...

The wiring should be fine as HID wiring is the same as adaptive lighting and this still has a manual adjuster. The part number for the control module comes up at the same for automatic lighting. I think it is the same part but not sure.

A jumper is switch, usually a manual switch and there is no manual switch on the HID module. TBH i'm not bothered about this part because i think it's software controlled.

in elmconfig i have seen the option for HID lights if it's fitted and from what i know this only enables the washer and it should in theory enable leveling signal from the sensor. the schematics isn't showing a switch on the HID module therefore i think it's software controlled.

As far as i know if the loom is there everything connected to the loom should be there too.

What gets me with this theory however is why does your car have washers enabled but no HID! it makes no sense, washers come with hid they are not separate options. Check your wiring maybe you already have the sensors hooked up like your washers.

One more possibility is that the headlight switch (Multifunction switch on schematics) is the jumper... since it does not have the controls for manual adjustment there might be something in the switch that switches the adjustment to automatic... just a theory.

Anyways i will be gathering parts slowly for this mod starting with the sensors and headlamp unit.

Jari take a look at your connector to your headlights, if it's 10 pin then it's likely you have the rest of the wiring if you have the chance to confirm it by looking under the wheel arch right hand side. Maybe it's left hand side for you being from finland

Wheel arch removed

ompf.jpg

Sensor connector

x5gh.jpg

Colour coded

5s70.jpg

Here is the water bottle pump connector

fhif.jpg

You can see where the loom comes from, in my previous post this is the same harness from the headlight connector

wkdb.jpg

Great pictures, thanks! Did you find rear sensor also? Ah yes, adaptive lighting is AFS then yes, the control module is the same. If you go to ELMConfig and Headlight Control Module and then configurration, you can see that you can configure module as HID or AFS (and yes there is HID configuration option for GEM also). But if you will retrofit HIDs to your car, won't you lose AFS? Or does AFS support both halogen and HID? I really do not know since I never took any look to AFS schematics or anything...

I really do not know why I have washers but not HID :-) Perhaps the car originally had HIDs or something but they broke and halogens were retrofitted b dealer instead as they are cheaper. Or something like that. I will check out the wires when I have some time, thank you for your great pictures!

Ps. According to schematics sensor connector should be on right hand side on both left hand drive and right hand drive cars. Yes I have left hand drive indeed.

• Like 1

Question, I bought some xenon lamps on eBay for my mk1, and having read some of the comments here I'm now questioning the legality of them, even though all of the sellers claimed that they are 100% legal. Can any one help?

• Like 1

Post a link of what you bought they are legal to sell in most cases not to fit now up till sept 2013 ude get away with it now its included in the mot

• Like 1

Aftermarket xenon are 100% legal, from a sale point of view, from an installation point of view to stay legal they must meet the same requirements as factory xenon, those requirements are projector type headlamp with clear lens unit E marked, Headlight jet power washers or wipers with spray washers and automatic self leveling.

Ford self leveling sensors will not work with aftermarket kits, the power jet washers will work with whatever headlamp is installed.

• Like 1

Great pictures, thanks! Did you find rear sensor also? Ah yes, adaptive lighting is AFS then yes, the control module is the same. If you go to ELMConfig and Headlight Control Module and then configurration, you can see that you can configure module as HID or AFS (and yes there is HID configuration option for GEM also). But if you will retrofit HIDs to your car, won't you lose AFS? Or does AFS support both halogen and HID? I really do not know since I never took any look to AFS schematics or anything...

I really do not know why I have washers but not HID :-) Perhaps the car originally had HIDs or something but they broke and halogens were retrofitted b dealer instead as they are cheaper. Or something like that. I will check out the wires when I have some time, thank you for your great pictures!

Ps. According to schematics sensor connector should be on right hand side on both left hand drive and right hand drive cars. Yes I have left hand drive indeed.

I did not have time to check the rear unfortunately and i wont be checking it either, this wiring harness is one piece and if the front is there so will the rear.

Good question on on the subject of adaptive lighting. There are two xenon headlamp types, one with HID that is also adaptive and the other with only HID. The model with HID and adaptive lighting uses the projector lens for both, the projector lens moves.

With adaptive lighting it looks like this

siz6.jpg

The other model lens does not move and cannot be moved.

Without adaptive lighting it looks like this

j42m.jpg

Regarding elmconfig i never checked this option out in details so i'm not sure how to enable HID and adaptive lighting together i would have to take another look at elmconfig

Jari if you ever do get the chance to take out your headlight checking for looms under it, could you take a picture of what the washer jet looks like for me please? i would like to know how it's connected to the car so i can do mine

ps

Any admin help?

For some really annoying reason the forum is blocking my attempts of adding images

"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

Okie dokie, well my MOT is due this month, I'll check with them to make sure, if not, I've kept hold of the original lamps just in case ;)

The reason they are 100% legal is because they are not xenon bulbs, they are simply upgraded halogen bulbs with a xenon look.

This is an aftermarket HID xenon kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-H7-6000K-/140686712431?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20c194de6f

They have ballasts and are not simply just a bulb change.

• Like 1

The reason they are 100% legal is because they are not xenon bulbs, they are simply upgraded halogen bulbs with a xenon look.

This is an aftermarket HID xenon kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-H7-6000K-/140686712431?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20c194de6f

They have ballasts and are not simply just a bulb change.

Yeah that'll be why, thanks for that ;)

• Like 1

Yeah that'll be why, thanks for that ;)

No worries! At least you don't have to worry about legality! :D

• Like 2

Thought that the full conversion kit would be a lot more expensive than that, think I'll be investing in that in the very near future!

• Like 1

Richard i hope you did not waste your money on buying those bulbs, as james already said they are not xenon they are ordinary halogen bulbs with a blue coated film.

This specific eBay ad is extremely misleading and made to fool those who don't know better.

First up they are NOT anymore powerful or "high powered" as the seller describe, halogen bulbs cannot draw more than 55w of power so really they are not anymore powerful.

These bulbs cannot even be considered an upgrade they are infact a downgrade because they are rubbish generic bulbs, compare them to quality philip bulbs or osram bulbs and you shall sh*t bricks, they are poorly made this result in them being less brighter than standard basic bulbs made by a brand such as osram.

Thirdly the 501 bulbs that are included are not E marked, you can see from the picture they have a darker blue tint resulting in a colour change of the light produced that's an MOT failure.

Lastly they will not look anything like xenon infact they will appear yellowish like any other halogen bulbs.

The seller is using fancy words to fool buyers, "xenon gas" and "xenon HID" are two different types of technology here is a little extract i took from a website to explain the difference clearly

Xenon gas-filled bulbs and other halogen 'xenon' bulbs are simply a standard halogen bulb that is either coated with a blue film on the outside and/or filled with a gas to imitate the look of a true xenon HID bulb. These bulbs produces much less light than xenon HID bulbs and often less than that of a standard halogen bulb. Xenon gas-filled bulbs also suffer from a short 6-month life-span

Don't waste your money buying this stuff, if you want brighter bulbs with less yellowish tint get your self something like what ben has

These are high quality proven bulbs, you will find endless info on the net about how awesome they are

After much slacking and making the last payment of my Student Loan (yay paid off in 10 years), I finally got round to some more mods:

New Windscreen Wipers & some New Osram Dipped Bulbs. I'll post some shots of the Osrams after I get some night shots.

20130929_183906_zps3a523b01.jpg

Nightshots of the Osram Nightbreakers. So much cooler :

20131001_191141_zps0a484295.jpg

20131001_191102_zpsc8542f4a.jpg

20131001_191157_zps07fe7cbf.jpg

20131001_191117_zpsdc275d6d.jpg

Ben's build thread

Thanks for that ;) having looked at the options it looks like there's are a few recent kits available for not much money so think I'll be investing in one very soon!

• Like 1

Richard i hope you did not waste your money on buying those bulbs, as james already said they are not xenon they are ordinary halogen bulbs with a blue coated film.

This specific ebay ad is extremely misleading and made to fool those who don't know better.

First up they are NOT anymore powerful or "high powered" as the seller describe, halogen bulbs cannot draw more than 55w of power so really they are not anymore powerful.

These bulbs cannot even be considered an upgrade they are infact a downgrade because they are rubbish generic bulbs, compare them to quality philip bulbs or osram bulbs and you shall sh*t bricks, they are poorly made this result in them being less brighter than standard basic bulbs made by a brand such as osram.

Thirdly the 501 bulbs that are included are not E marked, you can see from the picture they have a darker blue tint resulting in a colour change of the light produced that's an MOT failure.

Lastly they will not look anything like xenon infact they will appear yellowish like any other halogen bulbs.

The seller is using fancy words to fool buyers, "xenon gas" and "xenon HID" are two different types of technology here is a little extract i took from a website to explain the difference clearly

Don't waste your money buying this stuff, if you want brighter bulbs with less yellowish tint get your self something like what ben has

These are high quality proven bulbs, you will find endless info on the net about how awesome they are

Ben's build thread

I can vouch for Osram night breakers being a high quality brighter bulb. Had a said in my old MK1 for a while. The only thing you do find with brighter bulbs is that sometimes they don't last as long due to burning hotter and having a slightly different filament position etc. A small trade off for having much better vision at night though in my opinion.

• Like 2

Jari if you ever do get the chance to take out your headlight checking for looms under it, could you take a picture of what the washer jet looks like for me please? i would like to know how it's connected to the car so i can do mine

Sorry it took this long, I was away for a while... I took one headlight off and took picture of washer jet. Picture is attached (click to enlarge). Its from left hand drive car, right side headlamp.

You can see from the picture how water hose is connected, but I do not see any electrical connections? Are these just dummy jets, one separate pump is somewhere else (too lazy to check schematics now ;)? Or then connections are hidden inside car chassis, cannot see there properly...

Ps. My headlamp connectors have only 7 wires so no HIDs for me - at least without adding extra wires but that would be too much...

post-31329-0-03277200-1381990784_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hello jari mate, thank you for the pic bro this has helped me to confirm what the washers look like seems i can't find the right ones on eBay and i will have to get from at main dealer, no biggy because so far they seem to be priced reasonable.

Those are nop dummy jets my good man, they are real, the second pump should be connected to the water bottle, there shouldn't be any wiring going to the jets from what i know, they work purely on pressure, the water pressure pushes the jets out and allow water to spray onto the lens.

Where i am not clear on things though is how the jets are operated. Are they operated when washing windscreen with lights on? or do they have a separate different switch purely for headlight washers?

Have you not ever used yours before?

Jari you need to check under the wheel arches to see if you have the wiring for sensors. Headlight wiring can be done, you can get the wiring from a titanium or you can buy the wiring harness from ford, the entire lighting harness includes everything that an ST or titanium would have. It cost £400 from ford but if i am honest and you are serious about HID then £400 is not a bad price considering the headlamp them self are sold over £300 for one...

If you have working washers it's a good chance you have the rest of wiring, maybe it's just the headlight part that's missing and that can be wiring in manually.

There is another guy here called george who is also retrofitting automatic wipers and lights his loom was missing only 1 wiring to complete it maybe your car is the same. The controller for auto lights goes to the same place as HID the PJB connector. This is located on the driver side right hand side of footwell you can check here and see how many wiring is missing. His car is also left hand drive

Read about it here

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/36684-retrofit-auto-lights-and-wipers/page-4

Where i am not clear on things though is how the jets are operated. Are they operated when washing windscreen with lights on? or do they have a separate different switch purely for headlight washers?

Have you not ever used yours before?

What you did explain makes perfect sense. I thought there are some kind of motor or solenoid which pops washer up from bumber but pressure makes more sense. That's what I meant with that dummy jet comment...

My headlamp washers do operate simultaneously every time I use windscreen washer. There are no separate switch for them and I cannot prevent headlamp washers operating even if I would like to.

I will look into wiring issue again but not sure if I have time soon... Thanks for your link I will look into it and try to locate that controller connector!

• Like 1

What you did explain makes perfect sense. I thought there are some kind of motor or solenoid which pops washer up from bumber but pressure makes more sense. That's what I meant with that dummy jet comment...

My headlamp washers do operate simultaneously every time I use windscreen washer. There are no separate switch for them and I cannot prevent headlamp washers operating even if I would like to.

I will look into wiring issue again but not sure if I have time soon... Thanks for your link I will look into it and try to locate that controller connector!

I do hope you are able to find it bro you've been of great help to me much valued

• 7 months later...

Further research, this HID Control Module is called "Electronic Headlamp Control Unit" and it just could be, that unit from AFS lights will work with HID lights if properly reconfigured using ELMConfig... Anyways it is something like this:

PartImage_d90fd3b9-967c-4e8a-ab76-e5e076

According to the schematincs and judging from the picture there is one big connector for this unit. Now, where is it? When I yesterday replaced cabin air filter I saw few unused connectors on center console, but I am not sure if any of them was big enough for this one... It just could be that there are no wires insalled on non-HID Focus...

Hi Jari, same problem here, but have you figured out where module is located? I could post these same text in Finnish, but most of users don't figure what h*ll i just wroted. ;)

OK, so has anyone find a place rear connector?

The sensor looks something like this

$T2eC16F,!)MFIcBpVj,)BSJhNcLRwg~~60_12.J

This isn't the correct sensor but it looks almost exactly like this.

It connects like this on the front and rear of the suspension

2012-02-22_114622_6.jpg

2012-02-22_114556_7.jpg

The connector labeled as 1 hopefully is sitting there on my car when i have a look tomorrow ;- )

Judging by the photo i think i need to take the wheel off to get a good look, not sure if the wheel arch covers will be an issue though

Have you found cables? I found similar pack of cables with connector near place where levelling sensor should be place. connector looks like attach image shows

EDIT: OK, found cables on wiring schem, they are WH-BK(white, with black line), YE-BK(Yellow, with black line) and BN-YE(Brown, with yellow line). Those three cables are rear sensor and most of cases rest of cable and connector are felt off on production line, but salvage yard propably find car wheres those on it. (sorry my bad english). If I success Retrofit nicely i will take afoort to do instuction manual later on it. (include fotos ELMconfig ETC.) and my Car is Titanium.

post-52548-0-19743400-1401117715_thumb.j

Edited by Megado

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club