Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2 Wheel Bearing

mcp

One of my front wheel bearings is starting to go on my mk2 focus so I was wondering how hard they are to change. Has anyone changed one before?

I’ve been trying to source a bearing but all I can find is the full hub kit, I’m guessing that I’ll have to replace the entire hub. Do the hubs need a press to be taken out and put back in?

And should I replace both sides or just the broken one?

Thanks

they are part of the hub and not seperable and a pain to do im having my driver side replaced at ford for £171 total the hub and bearing itself is £90 you get cheaper ones but from experience the cheap ones set the abs light off constantly and in the end you need a ford hub to sort it so doing it the cheap way means you buy 2 hubs costing more than the ford one originally

l

i got two of these, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-2-MKII-2004-2011-FRONT-WHEEL-BEARING-hub-kit-8915-/160871857259?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

and £80 to get them changed at my local garage

havent had any problems for a few weeks. brakes seem fine too, no weird abs issues

As already mentioned, the hub and bearing are a one piece assembly which makes them more difficult than normal.

A press is required to remove/refit or there are special kits for these bearings but you cannot simply just push the hub back in to the steering knuckle as you will put stress on the middle of the bearing.

There needs to be a spacer fitted between the hub and outer Shell of the bearing to push the load onto the correct area of the bearing.

Thanks for the info. For around £80 I could buy a 6 ton press myself but it depends what ton is needed. Do you know if 6ton will do it or will I need a 12ton?

Unless youre good i wouldnt do it indys replace them and as stef said dont do it right 3months later the bearings gone wouldnt use cheap hubs seen a few mk1 focis with them and the odd mk2 they either fail or cause issues with the abs ford also use particular grease

My mk1 had an indy fit one 7months later it was back to a ford garage bearing was away again end of the story as expensive as it sounds its cheaper to let those with the knowledge do it

Thanks for the info. For around £80 I could buy a 6 ton press myself but it depends what ton is needed. Do you know if 6ton will do it or will I need a 12ton?

I have a 20 tonne press (sealey YK20F) which has a gauge too, it's not uncommon for me to use up to 10 tonne doing bearings. Usually they are a bit less though. I would say 6 tonne is not enough and you will have wasted your money if its not man enough.

• 8 years later...

Its pretty easy changing your bearings if you look into it. YouTube is your best friend with this lol. I bought some wheel bearing kits from https://www.spareshut.com/, watched a tutorial on YouTube and fitted the bearings.  Its a lot cheaper than going to a garage.