Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Can't Fix My New Fiesta! - Advice Please ?

fasty

I collected my new Fiesta Titanium Ecoboost 125 from a local main dealer on 14th March, but soon noticed that the Deflation Detection System (which I had ordered at extra cost) didn't appear in the vehicle menu.

Now you'd think that, being done in software, that would be easy to fix.

Not so.

The dealer had the car for THREE DAYS and declared that they couldn't fix it. The matter had to be escalated to Ford Technical department. Apparently Ford didn't have an answer, the problem had to be escalated to their design department.

Nearly THREE MONTHS later, still no update from the dealer or Ford.

If I call the Ford Customer Relationship centre, all they seem capable of doing is putting me on hold while they call the dealer to ask if there is any progress. It's an insane waste of time, literally going round in circles. If the dealer knew, I suspect that they would call me direct.

Is there any way of getting information out of Ford other than them referring you back to the dealer network?

I'm a qualified engineer, so I appreciate that problems can take time to fix, but it seem impossible to get any information about whether the problem is actually being addressed or just quietly forgotten about.

This issue raises another interesting question. If the Deflation Detection System is, as the dealer first claimed, fitted but does not work, then (at least in theory) the car cannot pass the latest MOT tests which require that such systems (if fitted) must work. Not MOT-able > Not roadworthy!

Is there anything I can do short of legal action?

Oh dear, doesn't sound like your having a good time with it, I've ordered the tyre deflation detection system on mine, got me worried now! I'm not sure what you can do legally but I hope you have some luck and get it sorted soon, keep us posted

I wonder if there is a problem with all Fiesta deflation detection systems?

Get in touch with the finance company, (Assuming you used one), and let them know the problems you are having, after all it's their car until you've paid for it.

Ask them, no tell them you want them to exert their immense pressure on the dealer/ford's to get this rectified, and threaten to withhold payment until it's fixed, then you will bring the payments up to date

Notice: I said withhold, and not refuse to pay, if you refuse to pay they can repo it, withholding payment until fixed, then bringing the payments up to date, they cannot repo it, and it's best done in writing and sent recorded, with a copy for your own files.

It's a little know legal way of getting a bigger company to fight on your behalf.

Oh and while your in the mood for writing letters, fire one of to ford customer services letting them know that you will invoice them for any out of pocket expenses.

I don't think that it affects all Deflation Detection Systems (DDS), but I was told that "I was not the only person affected".

The dealer apparently tried to reprogram the system but apparently were unable to do so.

I imagine that if pushed hard enough, they could resolve the problem by replacing the affected ECU / computer in its entirety.

It's the utter inability to communicate to the customer that astounds me. I would be sacked if I responded like that in my job.

• Like 1

I can see a Toyota/Nissan style recall coming up in the news shortly then! Although it isn't a critical issue like what have happened to those other companies so who knows?

The car is part financed and the finance company have been informed early on.

It's on a cash plan so interest has been paid upfront and nothing else is paid for 2 years.

To summarise, they are not being very helpful.

Have you tried checking ETIS to see if your car even left the factory with it installed? http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=AAF6DDFD17E59D89CA6B1866CAA0FCCC.fcvas507

Try inserting your Reg Number and see what comes up. My old Fiesta was specified when I bought it as having the Sony DAB however when I got it, I couldn't find any reference to DAB in the radio menu. Checked this and found it didn't even have it listed on the build sheet! The Sale of Goods Act was mentioned to the Ford Dealer and a large gesture of goodwill was sent my direction to "keep me quiet"!

• Like 1

Have you tried checking ETIS to see if your car even left the factory with it installed? http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=AAF6DDFD17E59D89CA6B1866CAA0FCCC.fcvas507

Try inserting your Reg Number and see what comes up. My old Fiesta was specified when I bought it as having the Sony DAB however when I got it, I couldn't find any reference to DAB in the radio menu. Checked this and found it didn't even have it listed on the build sheet! The Sale of Goods Act was mentioned to the Ford Dealer and a large gesture of goodwill was sent my direction to "keep me quiet"!

How fascinating!

Yes, it shows "Tyre Pressure Monitor Sys-DDS"

Mmm well that is interesting that it left the factory with it fitted and now you have it it doesn't work! Maybe the software in the menu didn't think you had DDS and therefore didn't install it into the menu? Might be something that Ford can do using an ECU update or replacing the OBC

I might not have the answer to the technical fault but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over the course of my law degree, skills that make me a nightmare for iffy retailers lol.

Write to them stating rejection of the car. I cite the authority of Rogers v Parish (no need to go into it for now). Your statutory rights are a separate entity to the warranty. You have been more than reasonable by giving them chance to repair it. Ask for a replacement vehicle without that option added. Or with if you fancy giving it a second try.

• Like 2

I see you're in Hampshire. You didn't get it from Hendy Ford did you?

S.14 of SOGA 1979 would be an argument. But if they are wrong and your car hasn't got it fitted at all then S.13 comes in

I see you're in Hampshire. You didn't get it from Hendy Ford did you?

Why, would that be bad ? ;-)

Probably best I don't say where it came from for now.

I'm writing to both dealer and finance co giving them one more chance to demonstrate that something is actively being done to fix the issue.

If they can't provide objective evidence that things are likely to get fixed, then the next step is a shot across the bows from my legal team.

.. And I can reject a car - I did it years ago with a Peugeot that had piston slap from new, started knocking at the first cold weather!

Yeah no comment with Hendy... for now!

Good luck with it all sounds like a complete farce though and having been in a similar situation I know how frustrating it is! Ford CRC is also a complete waste of time. If I wanted to know what the dealer had to say I'd call them not Ford CRC to sit on hold for half an hour to be told what the dealer would have told me! Typical!

All this quoting of law reminds me I've still got 5,000 words to write in my law assignment for the Merchant Navy - damn!

Please keep us posted. I am very interested in any legal wranglings.

Yeah no comment with Hendy... for now!

Good luck with it all sounds like a complete farce though and having been in a similar situation I know how frustrating it is! Ford CRC is also a complete waste of time. If I wanted to know what the dealer had to say I'd call them not Ford CRC to sit on hold for half an hour to be told what the dealer would have told me! Typical!

All this quoting of law reminds me I've still got 5,000 words to write in my law assignment for the Merchant Navy - damn!

I shudder at the thought. I am currently enjoying the summer break having finished my final exam last month. My classification is out at the end of June and fingers crossed I am on for a strong 2:1. So glad to be free of the hassle. Soon I should be The Dark Knight LLB (Hons) - lol

I start the LPC in September as I plan to become a solicitor.

Thanks for the ideas folks. I'll report back any progress.

It's ironic, because apart from this "little setback" which also exposes the pitiful customer service, it's a lovely car !

not too worry you, but when i orderd my Fiesta i asked about the deflation system and the dealer which is a friend of the family told me not too take it because it would be a waste of money. They don't work correctly or, precisely i should say. And they were having problems with it.

not too worry you, but when i orderd my Fiesta i asked about the deflation system and the dealer which is a friend of the family told me not too take it because it would be a waste of money. They don't work correctly or, precisely i should say. And they were having problems with it.

I can understand that the "software" DDS approach might not be as sophisticated as the system that uses sensors in each wheel, but when specifying the car decided it might be better than nothing!

I know that the same technique can work tolerably well on other cars.

They don't work properly, my ST2 has the system on and I spent all day yesterday with them trying to get it to work, in the end the guy said, 'Yeah there's no getting this piece of junk working at all is there...' which is always telling. Going in on Monday to have a word with my dealership manager about it, personally I'm really not bothered as it was just thrown in as a freebie, but I'll see what happens :P

Finally (after 3 months), an update!

Urgent call today from the dealer; they've heard from Ford that there is a potential fix for the DDS issue, and they want me to book the car in.

So, in just over a week I should learn of they have managed to fix the DDS.

In the meanwhile, I notice that Ford ETIS database entry for my car has now started showing an "Outstanding Field service Action", 3S520 - FIESTA - TYRE DEFLATION DETECT SYSTEM (DDS).

Latest update to the Deflation Detection System saga :

After 4 hours at local dealer to implement the Ford fix, the dashboard now apparently "lights up like a Christmas tree" and they're afraid to let me have the car back. Basically, they seemed to have trashed the software. Now with courtesy car.

Dealer promises to contact Ford field service rep on Monday in attempt to work out what to do!

Also, coincidentally, got formal recall letter today from Ford explaining that there was a problem with the DDS system and my dealer needed to examine it.

Reject the car as not fit for purpose. If they refuse, take legal action. The car is just 3 months old and you should not be in this position.

"The consumer returns the goods in the first six months from the date of sale and requests a repair or replacement or a partial refund. In that case, the consumer does not have to prove the goods were faulty at the time of sale. It is assumed that they were. If the retailer does not agree, it is for the retailer to prove that the goods were satisfactory at the time of sale. This comes from Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, derived from EU Directive 1999/44/EU which became Clauses 48A to 48F inclusive of the Sale of Goods act in April 2003"

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

• Like 1

Reject the car as not fit for purpose. If they refuse, take legal action. The car is just 3 months old and you should not be in this position.

Well, yes and no. You're right, I could reject the car. Been there, done that before with a new car that had piston slap.

On the other hand, apart from this defect, it's a good car, so I don't want to "cut off my nose to spite my face". What's best for me is to have it working properly, now.

"Bricking" one of the computers has now rather forced their hand, they will have to resolve something promptly.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club