Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 Focus 1.8 Tdci Dmf Replacement Advice

mkelbie

My car for quite some months and many miles has been disaying signs of a faulty DMF. I have held off repairing to see if the problem got worse and it doesn't appear to have done but I have an AA repair warranty so I had them out last night to have a look. I have been told it needs to be done.

The problem I have is Halfords who are an authorised repairer need to charge for removing the gear box before the AA will authorise the repair. Problem is if its worn they won't pay out and Halfords want around £800 for the job. If AA do pay out they will cover £500 of the repair so £300 out of my pocket.

Anyone know how likely the AA are to pay for the repair? I don think the clutch is worn so they should pay out and I have been told they have done before.

I have had a quote for £500 from a local garage but they are not an authorised AA repairer so if I try to submit a claim I think it will be more difficult?

Are the 2 prices reasonable and does anyone have experience with AA claims? I don't know wether I'm better going with the independent garage or chancing the claim with Halfords.

If the claim is successful I pay 1st and claim back but through halfords they deal between themselves and I only pay the £35 excess.

My car has done 101K now and just spend £400 on belt pump and bearings so this is a bit of a blow. I feel like selling it now

If you're saying that the AA will only pay out for a faulty DMF not a worn one then you have absolutely no chance of getting any money back. 101k miles is perfectly normal wear for a dmf, indeed many only last half of that. Your best bet is to find someone to fit a new DMF and clutch kit for a reasonable price. Make sure they use LUK, Sachs or Valeo parts (o.e equipment). You shouldn't be able to find a price below £500, if you do avoid it! Unfortunately on diesels DMFs are a wearing part and need to be changed with the clutch.

They will not pay for worn parts but DMF is not on the list of non covered parts. Only clutch is.

It's in a local garage now having the gearbox off. Bill is £530 for clutch DMF and cylinder inc labour. It drives fine but you can hear a bit of a rattle. Halfords told me the AA have paid out for a DMF before. I just hope I'm lucky too.

I will check what parts are used, I had the option for a bit cheaper to go with a solid flywheel but opted to keep it the same.

I should know this afternoon if I'm paying or the AA are helping. It's been a nightmare lately my car, spent a fortune on it.

I've never fitted the solid conversion to a focus or mondeo, but have fitted lots to transits (similar setup) with great success. I suspect solid in a car is likely to be slightly rougher. Good luck with you claim

AA will not pay for clutch plate and they want to come out and inspect the DMF.

Hopefully then I only have to pay for clutch plate and they cover labour and DMF costs.

£550 it cost me :( and now he's said my drive shaft sounds a bit funny too!!

The DMF was out of place and I have new LUK clutch DMF and cylinder fitted. Just have to wait and see what this inspector says when he visits tomorrow.

Clutch still had plenty of surface on it and the DMF just had a bigger gap on 1 side and bit of play when it moved, just hopefully that doesn't count as worn out.

Any idea on drive shaft price? That's my next bill :(

Technican has been, he's agreed with the mechanic that its worn. I think the mechanic has told the AA its worn out but yet he told me its gone out of shape.

I have lost confidence in the claim being successful now because they will just throw wear and tear back @ me now. I said that to the mechanic and he said he still thinks they will pay out because they have been asking lots of questions about my job, driving and mileage.

Anyone every had a sucessful high value claim with the AA

AA warranty is a joke.....

A "technical advisor" has just phoned me and said the report for my claim shows my clutch was around 75% worn and the fly wheel did have a sudden failure and sieze up on 1 side causing the fault but they are not accepting my claim because they think its wear and tear.

His words was sudden failure. They will do anything to no pay out on these policies!!

Anyone any idea on how to complain, his words was sudden failure and that's exactly what their policy covers.

I am not letting this go, the whole process from the 5 hours it took for them to recover my car to the now declining to pay for any repairs is a joke. Why accept my money if they don't like my mileage and will use it to blame everything on wear and tear.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think you have a case. When the DMF wears it gets to a stage where it can fail suddenly. The failure is because of normal wear and tear, not because of a manufacturing defect. Mileage of over 100k is at least better than average for clutch+DMF replacement on the TDCi. DMFs are a constant source of grief on most modern diesels as their lifespan is much shorter than originally intended. It's not justs Fords- it's most makes.

What would a failed DMF do? I have just picked up my old parts and clutch looks fine and the mechanic said the DMF isn't worn, its failed and he thinks there's a difference.

I was told a DMF gets strain with low gears or town driving, so with my only motorway driving I think that's why I have got more out of my DMF than the average car but I'm just annoyed with the AA policy. They could use wear and tear for anything, if they don't want to pay out on the DMF they should list it along with the other non covered parts like disc brakes.

I have just looked at my DMF and it moves side to side, I don't have a clue about how these work but the inner circle has a few pins sticking out like tiny handles. I can hold them and move the inner circle. I assume that's what the fault is ?

Warranties are always full of get-outs otherwise they wouldn't be profitable for the providers! DMFs fail through wear and tear, it's a bit like the chicken and the egg. I've seen dmfs fail spectacularly and smash holes in the gearbox casing, but they've failed because they're worn out. If you go on youtube you can find a tutorial on how they work.

You can always pay for an independent review, if you get a review that advises that the part failed due to fault, and provides an independant report, then the AA would potentially be liable to cover the cost of the repair and also the report. so you could be back on task, but its difficult as if he reports that the item was even partially down to wear and tear, then it could lead you with the bill for the report as well...

Leaving aside the legal issues/ proof etc -

The AA is a big, national company, and a household name, it would seem reasonable that if you have an AA repair warrantee, and you have used an authorised fitter/ repairer, that you should be covered

Approach consumer TV shows like Watchdog, Don't get done get dom etc - even if the AA are not legally obliged to pay, a little bit of negative publicity may help them to offer you a "goodwill" settlement, especially as you feel you are "morally" in the right (insurers are always trying to wriggle out of their obligations), also, there is a good chance you are not alone in this situation

edit - spotted a typo!

I only feel I am right because of the wording used by the technical advisor. He said mine was a sudden failure but it was worn out anyway.

My point with them is if they never pay out on a DMF they should list it as a non insured part. Personally I would never of got the work done, I would of held of as long as possible but they insisted on removing the gearbox and indicated they would contribute with the costs.

Why pay for an assssssor if they are never going to pay out, I have complained and simply asked if the DMF is worn and your not paying what was the assessor looking for? Why did you simply not tell me before I spent £550 that you don't pay for a DMF.

The whole experience from the start is on my complaint so hopefully I get something. It started with them taking 5 hours to get to me, leaving me waiting until 1 AM after saying they would be with me @ 21:50.

My interpretation of wear and tear and somebody else's could be completely different so in my opinion they can always reject any claim for that reason because every single part of my car could be recorded as wear and tear.

What symptoms where you getting before you changed the DMF, and what happens when they suddenly go? i know mine probably needs changing, but i only hear the rattle when i lift of the clutch very quickly. if i depress it slowly it gets the chance to seat against the clutch alright. im on 114k and its not been changed before

I heard a rattle noise on idle. Especially if the engine was warm. Sometimes I also heard a noise when bringing up the clutch without being in gear.

AA have said the report showed my DMF was seized so they are sticking with their decision. They are sending me £40 for leaving stuck until 1 AM though.

I didn't think my DMF was siezed though, I thought it was loose?

Just told my mechanic the AA are sticking with their decision because the DMF was seized and he responding saying that's a lie then because your DMF was the complete opposite so the report is false

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club