Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Towbar Electrics

pauljoanss

Fitting a standard 7 pin socket using a relay unit. I have done this on my Focus with no problems, but I had a manual with wiring diagram so could identify wire colours.

Unfortunately have no wiring info for 97 S-Max. Can anyone supply any information about, 12v feed and location/colours of the basic functions eg stop lights, indicators and rear lights.

Otherwise wil have to go to local Towbar man, he quoted £48 + VAT for fitting electrics only (no parts).

you really need to get ahold of TIS as that has full wiring schematics.

I am looking to download it shortly. But need to sort my PC first... get yourself in at auto professionals.co.uk introduce yourself and browse, you shoudl find some software there that will help :)

I never use a wiring diagram, just a multi meter and test lamp, I switch on the relevant circuits on the car and use the multi meter or test lamp to find which one has the feed for what I want, write what it is on a bit of masking tape and label it until i'm ready to connect to the 7N socket

There is no such thing as a 97 Smax. They were not released until 2006.

You must have a Galaxy.

what about programming the bar to the cars electrics,iirc you must have an audible sound for the indicators etc.

I have to say I don't recognise the need for an audible sound for indicators... granted I haven't studied the towing laws, but I don't believe there is any need for an audible indicator sound.... whats your thoughts on why this is needed Greg?

From what I remember of the towing law is:

That all towing vehicles must have either a separate indicator light on the dashboard OR an audible warning device for the indicators, when the trailer lights are plugged in.

I do believe this was brought in because there were, and probably still are a number of drivers that forget to plug the lights in, (Yes I have done this a couple of times myself), and the idea of the extra warning device is used as a reminder

i have 1 fitted to the wifes car at the moment soon to be put on mine,and the guy told me that it had to be programmed to the cars ecu etc as its a can bus system?????so it disables the revering sensors when fitted etc.

the independent i went to also done my old mk2 galaxy as myself and bro in law done our upmost to fubar the electrics so in the end i bit the bullet and got the experts to sort it.

incidentally its goner cost me around 250 quid to get them switched over.gutted.

• 4 months later...

...incidentally its 250 quid to get them switched over...

Maybe not.... If you had a reliable modified ELM327...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club