Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Mondeo TD lack of boost

TurboZed

Hi Guys!

Just bought a Mondy Mk2 TD ghia estate. The car is fine except it feels like the turbo isn't boosting. Theres no smoke at all and no misfiring, just no power. A common easy fixable problem?

Cheers

Jim

Hi Guys!

Just bought a Mondy Mk2 TD ghia estate. The car is fine except it feels like the turbo isn't boosting. Theres no smoke at all and no misfiring, just no power. A common easy fixable problem?

Cheers

Jim

sounds like a siezed turbo bearing,the turbo proberly isnt spinning at all,hence no power no smoke,remove the turbo induction pipe and see if you can turn the turbine....hope this helps, turbos can be bought from most breakers for £30.....

Hi Guys!

Cheers

Jim

sounds like a siezed turbo bearing,the turbo proberly isnt spinning at all,hence no power no smoke,remove the turbo induction pipe and see if you can turn the turbine....hope this helps, turbos can be bought from most breakers for £30.....

Thanks RickB, I'll try that.

Jim

if your turbo's not seized see if you can borrow a boost gauge see if your actually getting boost. could be a few things, air leak on vacuum pipe, intercooler leaking, all will lose boost pressure.

steve

www.sr-performance.co.uk

Hi again,

I've pulled the car apart today to investigate the problem. The intercooler and its pipework are fine, the pipe from the turbo to the pump is fine, the one from the turbo to the wastegate actuator is fine, and the turbo turns quite easily by hand. However it only turns very slowly on tickover, plus on hard revving although there seems to be quite a draught coming out of it, theres no pressure, you can easily stop the airflow with the palm of your hand. The other thing is its very oily indeed. I suspect that its had it, but I suppose the wastegate could be stuck open? The EGR doesn't appear to be opperating either, so if thats stuck open will that cause the same symptoms?

Cheers

Jim

All fixed! the wastegate actuator arm had fallen off. Had to remove the manifold to get it though. Still a bit worried about the oil, but we'll see what happens.

Jim

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club