Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St170 - Problems

gilb-fezzy-01

Hi Everyone,

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help me out with this as it is driving me crazy now.

I brought an ST170 about 5 months ago now. Done about 80k miles, great condition etc.

I have this noise which has been going on for months now, I can only describe it as a whurring kind of noise coming from somewhere in the engine bay (or so it seems)

Trying to find out when it makes this noise is impossible, usually it is when the clutch is pressed down, however it will do it when im driving along at 60mph with the throttle down, it comes and goes, its not constant. It is quite a loud noise. I have the car under warranty and they guys where i brought it from aren't interested. Another garage has said they think it may be flywheel related but would need to take the gearbox out to look properly. Im not convinced its transmission related as it can happen just randomly without the clutch being engaged.

It is usually when im slowing down to a roundabout with the clutch down. Its not a a wheel bearing as i've had them checked.

I had a minor service carried out about a week ago, and for 2 days after that is completely went, i couldn't get it to do it. But now its back.

Any ideas?

It could be the clutch release bearing or a loose clutch release arm which is attached to the clutch master cylinder.

The only other things that are not gear related that make that type of noise are the cambelt tensioner and the water pump, but from your description of when the noise occurs, I think it is likely one of the above.

Thanks for the reply.

Could it still make this noise without the clutch being engaged if it is the clutch bearing or the clutch master cylinder.

Are they expensive jobs, and can they get worse over time?

We had the clutch release arm came loose on a SportKA. It was making the same noises beforehand for about a week before it went completely and all of a sudden you couldn't engage any gear and if the car was in gear you couldn't get it out.

Im not saying it is the same thing but on the SportKA the gearbox had to come out, so I had a new clutch and Master Cylinder fitted at the same time. It cost about £350.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club