Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Mk7 Fiesta Titanium Diary

mattiff

So after a crappy day of driving for three hours to referee a football match that was never going to be played I eventually get home to find that I have a package waiting for me. My retrimmed steering wheel. Not going to say much and just let the pictures do the talking.

DSCN0025_zpsa3e58982.jpg

DSCN0022_zpsde632a4c.jpg

DSCN0023_zps1de57627.jpg

DSCN0024_zps03b822bc.jpg

DSCN0021_zps7907961b.jpg

LOVE IT! it's even better than I thought it would turn out. The smooth Nappa leather smells lush and it all feels great. You'll have to use your minds eye as to it being fitted but it will be done on Friday, or maybe tomorrow if the anticipation gets the better of me.

The wheel was retrimmed by Jack of www.royalsteeringwheels.com I cannot recommend him enough, had dramas with the posting it back but he got it all sorted and with no hassle. Top service.

That looks fantastic! Can I ask how much it was?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

That looks beautiful fella... but you're a ref so you'll need to get the rest of your car done to gain respect from me haha only messing

Cheers guys, it cost £115 delivered. I did have to buy the spare one from eBay to be done as I wasn't prepared to go without the use of my car, I'll make the cost of it back when I sell on my original.

Bailey dog, he can do any type of stitching you like, plus any combo of leathers.

So today I went into work to find there was no poor whatsoever. So we hung around until about midday until we finally got told to go home. I then though, hmmm best get the new steering wheel fitted, so here's the boring half leather standard one prior to removal.

DSCN0026_zps6915eff2.jpg

Then after much hassle and stress because of a fiddly Ford design on it's airbags I got the old one off.

DSCN0027_zpsc47a3992.jpg

Took much less time to get the new one on and sitting nicely.

DSCN0030_zpsd75441bc.jpg

Managed to Jam the horn on when I first fitted it which no doubt pleased the neighbours lol. A few more shots then:

DSCN0032_zps0797f45b.jpg

DSCN0033_zps562ba71f.jpg

I also fitted some double sided tape to the leather seat belt stalk covers as no matter how tight I fitted them they still slipped down. Not anymore :)

DSCN0028_zpsa4e0add0.jpg

So now that's done, I just need to keep an eye out for the black dash and other bits. I'm sure eventually one will come up. Although the pictures do make it seem very bluey it's not actually that bad in real life, certainly could live with it if need be.

Was going to wire in the scuff plates today but when I ventured into my tool box I found my soldering irons tip was gone so had to put that on hold for a bit while I order a new one as Halfords, wickes etc just sell the irons themselves with no new tips.

Decided whilst I was in the mood I would also fiddle with the air box on the car, now before anyone jumps in i'm not expecting any power increases but if it makes things slightly smoother then great, if it does nothing then oh well. I've never liked where the car originally draws air as it takes it from the panel underneath the slam panel but this doesn't have a direct feed of cold air. Plus the air has to come up then do a 180 turn, down, another 180 turn then into the airbox which seems unnecessary to me. So removed all that gubbins and angled the feed towards the side to draw cold air from the gap to the side of the rad etc.

DSCN0035_zps5f38dc1e.jpg

And the air box sat back in the car, you can see it angled to the side, I will try and affix a bit of piping that draws it a bit better maybe.

DSCN0034_zpsa35fa69b.jpg

It was whilst looking in my engine bay I decided that it was minging and needed a clean.

DSCN0040_zps8be008b9.jpg

The outside of the car wasn't much better.

DSCN0039_zps52bf4a67.jpg

So got busy with the jet wash and cleaning gear. My wheels bleed a fair bit:

DSCN0041_zpsd34982ff.jpg

Results

DSCN0043_zps66913b0a.jpg

DSCN0044_zpsb85b198b.jpg

dab31d51-930a-4797-b025-32a14ebce4c6_zps

Much better :). After cleaning it I thought I would try and rejig the airbag as since fitting the wheel it didn't quite sit right. Que it being very stiff to remove and me losing my rag a bit and bang off it came along with the airbag plug :censored::censored::censored:

DSCN0038_zps60ae4e4b.jpg

Have had to leave it like this in order to drive it

DSCN0036_zps2c5e60d1.jpg

Lesson learnt there as being an impatient bugger has cost me the best part of £70 in a replacement steering ring :(:(.

• 1 month later...

Right then, good weather and some red bull meant I had the
energy to finally wire in the illuminated scuff plates, feels like years ago I
bought these. First job was to remove the seats and centre console trim to give
me plenty of access and be able to get my hands under the carpet.

DSCN0178_zps8c1aa9e2.jpg

Running the wire was straight forward after this, but I was
fiddling around with the fuse box and swearing a lot when I realised that I was
reading the instructions wrong and I needed to wire it into the wires coming
from this plug.

DSCN0179_zps81bb25f9.jpg

Before I could solder them in I decided to tidy the wire up
and use the small zip ties provided in the kit to keep them in against the
existing wiring.

DSCN0180_zps67629a11.jpg

Next job was to strip the wires and tin them. Bought this
little thing a while back and it makes wire stripping so much easier.

DSCN0181_zpsf8cc8210.jpg

Used some old carpet I had in the garage to stop and solder
damaging the car interior.

DSCN0183_zps3279af47.jpg

Soldered the wires like the instructions dictates, it does
provide a crimp piece to use in the kit but I prefer to solder them together
than crimp. Once done I covered them in heat shrink and shrunk it as best I
could with the soldering iron, I sadly do not own a heat gun. All zip tied up
and put back in.

DSCN0184_zps793e88bf.jpg

Tidied the rest of it up.

DSCN0185_zpsfdc95cb8.jpg

Would be a waste not to give the interior a thorough hoover
whilst the seats were out, just to get those annoying bits you can't normally
reach.

DSCN0186_zps3bbc0e68.jpg

So I waited until the early evening to let the light die
down a bit and had a look :)

DSCN0188_zps7e324cf6.jpg

DSCN0189_zpsa259db76.jpg

The observant amongst you will have realised that I have
also fitted another little mod. I bought the new aluminium pedals online last
week and they took two seconds to fit.

DSCN0187_zpsdfe392ec.jpg

All in all a successful day I think.

Looks Mint... specially with those wheels... Trying to get some of those myself... Leather interior is good aswell and loving the look of the scuff plates... tempted to get those myself

Looks Mint... specially with those wheels... Trying to get some of those myself... Leather interior is good aswell and loving the look of the scuff plates... tempted to get those myself

Cheers, keep an eye on eBay for the scuff plates as new from Ford they are an eye watering £300. I'll be getting the wheels refurbished soon as they have a lot of scuffs and marks, from the previous owner of course.

looks like some one has been a busy boy lol.

looking good

Right well that's the alloys booked in for refurb in two weeks as well as de chrome part one. Can't wait now :).

Some Good reading in this thread! Car is real nice.

I envy people that have threads like this one. Not brave enough to just "have a go" myself!

You make some of the cleaning seem like a tiny job? Either I'm using the wrong products, or you have a lot more free time than I do. Engine bay or under the arches/behind the wheels is something I can never find the time for!

I'm impressed!

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

Engine bay takes no time at all, I've kept on top of it since I bought it but if was an untouched older car it would be a lot more work.

Your right about the arches, getting the wheels off each corner etc takes a while but worth it once done.

My background in work is electrical engineering so most of the stuff is straight forward, working around mechanics for years and helping out on military vehicles which weren't such a big deal if I did it wrong first time also helps lol.

What do you use on the engine bay? Do you do a "real" clean? Or is it just the appearance of being clean? Know what I mean??

You know the annoying thing? I did the kind of cleaning that your doing on my fiesta mk 6 zetec s. I bought it new, so I figured it must be worth doing. Regular waxing, wheel sealing etc. It made zero difference to its value when I sold it.

Must have spent hundreds on cleaning products and thousands of hours keeping it "mint".

I use a detailing brush and some apc to remove built up stuff, followed by a low pressure rinse with the jet washer. After that it's the same again but with a cloth on the bigger surfaces and once that's dried I spray it all with aerospace 303 to give it the depth.

I've always thought that you shouldn't spray water directly into the engine bay? That there's a risk the car won't start afterwards?

Sounds like that's where I'm going wrong! Job would be much easier with a pressure washer!

I do think in some cases it can be a problem, but I do spray inside the engine bay, I just keep away frome the important stuff like the air filter and then drive around after everything is clean, so theres no standing water anywere, working with a high pressure gun with the setting on low helps

• 2 weeks later...

So yesterday I dropped the fez off at the bodyshop for the wheels etc to be done. Looking forward to seeing them all done on Wednesday.

df71097060ee9e47fa2f1d9d47583527_zps1b20

:D

Right then, operation de-chrome entered phase one recently. I bought a replacement boot handle some time ago from eBay and whilst it was described as having scratches I hoped I could polish them out. Sadly I couldn't and so whilst the wheels were being refurbed I asked the bodyshop to respray the panel. So here's the old one with chrome:

DSCN0285_zps1bc3d370.jpg

Yuk, so interior trim off:

DSCN0286_zpsa325bd39.jpg

Was then a case of five nuts and a cable to undo and a fair bit of jiggery pokery and it was free:

DSCN0287_zpsc457a880.jpg

Yuk again, mankey dirt was cleaned up:

DSCN0288_zps6da6bf3b.jpg

The badge on this had a slight bit ov overspray on it and whilst I could have removed it, it was also faded so missus hairdryer was deployed:

DSCN0289_zps29887faa.jpg

And finally the new panel was on and the colour match was spot on :) :) looks soooo much better than tacky chrome to me.

DSCN0290_zpsca1d9649.jpg

I will pop to Ford some time this week and get a new badge.

Stunning Fez you have there! I've just read through the whole thread, amazing work! I especially like the leather interior, it really suits the car.

I have to say, I preferred the slightly chromed look even though it's hardly noticeable with the silver. I think gives a nice contrast, especially with other colours such as Lime Squeeze!

I imagine some may like the chrome but I really don't. It's not to bad on a silver car like mine but have seen it on black ones and it really stands out on them.

I only like a little chrome, things like chrome wheels and other parts look naff! I am not a fan of 'modding cars', but your car looks really food as the are subtle and mostly genuine parts.

Popped to Ford to pick some bits up :)

1537d448aaef9f7b84e5cb868d29f81b_zpsc90a

Picking some more up on Friday.

Looking good! I really like the leather seats, not sure about the leather pouches for the seatbelt insertion looks abit too much with them in. Wheels like ace! be nice to see them shining like brand new!!