Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Vs 1.8

jon200

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 2006/2007 Focus Zetec or Ghia and ideally wanted a 1.8 or possibly 2.0, but there are a lot more 1.6 models about.

How difference is the performance between 1.6 compared to a 1.6?

If you get a ti vct 1.6 tgen none its also cheaper on tax

I have the 1.6 115bhp engine, nippy little thing.

Just premature turbo failure and the DPF to worry about on the 1.6.

are you looking for petrol or diesel?

diesel particle filter. the fear! i would say go for a 1.6 cheaper to tax

1.6 for economy 1.8 for a bit more power id guess im happy with my 1.6 but only had it 2 days, theres also 1.6 1.8 2.0 diesels hense the dpf + turbo failure comments

I own a 1.8 zetec s and my mate has the 1.6 zetec s... dont really notice any difference when driving about... i might have a little higher top end speed??

cant really judge overall mpg as we have completely different driving styles...

but if your worried about getting left at the lights by a 1.8 i wouldnt worry atal lol

• Like 1

I have a 1.6 59 plate. Zetec.

It's 100 bhp. I see it as a reasonable family, kind of nice looking quick ish motor.

Not the fastest obviously but you wouldn't buy one of these for speed. It's economical and my mates 1.8 uses te juice so he says

Thanks for the replies guys.

Definitely looks like petrol is the way to go, which was my preference anyway.

My main concern with a 1.6 was potential lack of overtaking power, having driven 1.8/2.0 all my life.

I rarely go above 70-80mph (a little naughty i know).

You will notice the lack of overtaking power. You have to leave your foot down hard in the preferred gear your overtaking in. It gets the job done in the end.

get the ti vct 115bhp it has the power of the 1.8 no need to change gears it has low down torque 5th gear press the accelerator and away you go ive never needed to downchange in it at 50mph you can simply accelerate and overtake in 5th even from 40mph you can do it easily the 100bhp ive driven and theres a very noticeable difference

• Like 1

I have a 1.8 tdci 2010 model and love it. Quick enough off the line, maintains it and very fuel efficient.

I understand where the OP is coming from.

When I first started driving I've never had a car under 1.8litre. There is a certain comfort in knowing your car will be very capable on a motorway and brisk up and down hills. In my opinion the compromise for fuel is null and void as the 1.6 may well be working harder to compensate for the larger car, higher load than the 1.8+ size engine.

I was given the option of loads of 1.6 and then a 1.8 came in which matched all my criteria. The salesman didn't think I'd go for it because of the engine size. Afterwards I told him there's no replacement for displacement!

I've got a 1.8 petrol and get anything from 25-30 mpg around town and usually around the 40ish mark on motorways at 70. Did get 45+ going through the 50 zones. Don't ask about the nice twisty country roads - too much fun to care :-D

It's certainly not a city car! But then, that always gives the excuse for an Italian Tune Up :-P

It eats the motorway miles quite happily.

(My last car was a 1.2 Punto which actually returned similar mpg figures)

In my 1.6 zetec I get 33/34 with half town driving and half a roads.

To give all the helpful people who replyed an update - i have purchased an 11 plate 1.8 Focus Zetec.

Very happy with the car indeed, and very glad i opted for this rather than a 1.6.

Thanks for all your replies.

I was in this same position about a year ago . . . I had a 1.6 Zetec Mk1 and wanted a bit more power so in the end decided to change to a Mk2 1.8 Zetec rather than another 1.6. I have to agree with the comment that it’s not a city car and is not the most economical car, but I think its horses for courses, I travel less than 4 miles to work and do about only 8,000 miles a year so it was not a big issue for me.

After I decided on a 1.8 it took me over 3 months to find a good condition low mileage one, I lost count of the number of used car salesman who told me there was hardly any difference in a 1.6 and a 1.8, just may have had something to do with the fact they had lots of 1.6’s on the forecourt and no 1.8’s of course :angry:

I have 2008 1.8 Zetec and its certainly more lively than the 1.6 and I have been very pleased with it and have had no problems with the car, my only slight niggle (and this is not engine related) are a few rattles and creaks from the interior trim, but I am presently on a mission to try and sort these :)

Update: sorry guys - just realised I did not explain whether I was talking about petrol or diesel - I was talking about petrol, which is what my 1.8 is.

as far as it goes theres little difference between the 1.6 ti vct and the 1.8 other than the ti vct has higher power at lower revs cheaper tax and better mpg which is the reason why many dont buy the 1.8 yes its livelier than a standard 1.6 but you would have saved some cash taking the ti vct but its all up to each person having had a 1.8 i find the 1.6 ti vct livelier than the 1.8 was not by much but if youre happy then thats all that matters

I believe the statements about there being loads of 1.6 models being for sale speaks volumes.

It pretty much shows that once you opt for a 1.8 you become very reluctant to give it up.

Tax and running costs may be marginally higher but the driving experience offered far outweighs any negative points.

I have owned both a 1.6 and 1.8, albeit the 1.8 was a mk1.5, i found the 1.8 to have marginal performance around town but on the open road you needed to get the revs up to see a performance increase, however the fuel economy did become a bit of a issue as mine did drink alot, i now own a 1.6 mk2.5 and this previous experience of owning a 1.8 made me choose the 1.6 100bhp i couldnt afford the 1.6 ti-vct model, but tit does sound like a cracking little engine.

Is the 1.6 ti-vct similar to the old ford puma 1.7 vct as that too was a great engine, having also owned a puma a few years back, it was my favourite driving car to date.

Yes its the same engine in 1.6 form if im honest i think the reason theres less 1.8s is the 1.6 was fords best selling engine new tax rules meant everyone downgraded and opted away from the 1.8 round my way they go cheap cos no one wants to pay the tax on them the 1.6 has a higher resale value up here as its easy to sell the 1.8 was a good engine though

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club