Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Passenger Side Electrical Fault Ford Focus 2011

stevepil

Hi all

Hoping someone has some experience with this fault and how to fix, basically got home today and wife tried to open passenger side window and it wouldnt open, I tried from master controls and again wouldnt open, I tried same side but back window and same issue. I then checked indicators and they were working bar the 1 on the wing mirror, I then tried to adjust the mirror using the controls, drivers side was fine but passenger side nothing. I then tried to lock car, all doors locked bar the 2 on passenger side.

I got rac out to take a look, they reset battery to try and reset computer and this did not work, they left baffled and advised ford will need to reset computer.

Is this right, anything else can be done, anyone seen or heard of this before as they genuinely seemed baffled although agreed car is not road safe due to indicator and mirror issue but they couldnt do anything else.

If anyone has any history or views it would be appreciated

Many thanks steve

Sounds like you have a short out somewhere, perhaps in the door area, I would start by dropping the fusebox and reseating all the wiring harnass etc. I would then move on to taking the door card off and checking that there is no obvious damage to the wiring around there.

Its possible that its water ingress on the nearside of the vehicle, so also check for any signs of moisture on the footwell of the passenger side, under the windscreen and around all the door seals.

• Like 1

Definately sounds like a wiring harness fault which could be pricey :/

• Like 1

Thanks both for your help!

Its a lease car with maintenance covered so hopefully it wont be expensive to me :( I would have thought it still be under warranty too? Its literally 2 years old.

There is no dampness around the doors / windows / seals.

The RAC chap said he disconnected to the wires to the fuse box and reseated them but still nothing.

What makes it strange is the passenger door will open with the keyless entry if I stand next to it, but it wont actually unlock the latch, ie I can lock the car manually. Stand by car with keyless entry and open the door, if I then close it again immediately, I cant unlock it as latch is still in locked position.

It does feel like a wire issue on the passenger side, this was my first thought so hopefully Ford will find it.

Silly question, but do I need to disonnect the battery before playing with the fuses / harness wires or are they not live when engine is off. Also, how easy is it to pull door frame off given its a lease car I dont want to damage it but naturally if quick fix would rather do that then wait weeks for Ford to resolve.

Thanks again

its under warranty dont touch it take it to the dealers and let them fix it if you touch it they may say youve invalidated the warranty

• Like 1

As above dont mess with it and invalidate your warranty as if they can get out of their obligations under warranty they will

• Like 1

Thanks again, I will stay well away.

I assume RAC playing with Fuses / reseating wires wont be an issue? none of the fascias etc have been removed.

I have left a message with Lex Autoloease to get this repaired urgently given its only 2 years old and still under warranty with Ford / maintenance cover with Lex

The reseating and checking will not affect the warranty.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club