Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noobie From Kent! Also A Quick Question :)

Chris6t9

Hi guys,

Im Chris and 23 from Maidstone kent

As always when i buy a new car i look for the owners club forum for a bit of banter and info so i look forward to speaking to you all! :)

Right now for the question. Im looking to buy a 2006 1.6 TDCI focus tomorrow for the girlfriend for around 3.2k

Car has 97k miles on the clock but that does not fuss me as i know these cars run for forever when regualary serviced. Comes with full ford service history bar 1.

Now i have had a look around on he net and people are saying the timing belt gets done at 125k. Would you agree with this? (I was thinking 100k)

Also i contacted the dealer selling the car with 1 year warrenty regarding it possibly being due, and asked if it went would the warrenty cover it?

He replyed no, if it fails prematurely then you would have to approach ford themselves.

So my question is, would ford pay for the damage done and replacement if it went? Because something tells me they wouldnt.

Also if you guys know of any common problems to look out for when viewing the car tomorrow, please do let me know as that would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Chris

Welcome to the family! Good to see another Invicta amongst us!

As for the car, always advisable to replace closer to the 100k mile mark, its easier, and reduces the risk of premature failure and a more damaging outcome if it does go before its serviced. Also the other thing to bear in mind is that the 1.6TDCI has a Diesel Particulate Filter, it may have already been replaced (should do if its a full Ford service History) but you may find that it hasnt been done, and its possibly going to cost up to 1k to replace the filter, plus your also looking at the requirement soon to top up the EOLYS fluid (part of the DPF system) which costs up to £200 also.

I would suggest if you get that car, that you may want to look into DPF removal...

As for the question, its unlikely that Ford would cover it as part of that warranty, as its going to cost them more to repair any damage than the warranty would cover (some warranties have small print stating they will only pay out up to X which I believe to be around 20% of the market value of the vehicle. As such, its best you get it done, then if there is any damage as a result of Ford's maintenance then they would be liable to cover the cost.

As for problems, theres a few things to look out for.

1) rust on the wheel arches, is a very common problem on these cars

2) water in the spark plugs - whilst not applicable to a diesel, you should check that there is no leaking from the washer jets, and no water marks on the engine bulkhead itself.

3) check that the boot opens each time with no issues, the microswitch can become damaged and although not an expensive issue its a nuisance you dont really want

4) check that there is no damage to the gaitor leading to the tailgate - open the boot and inspect this for any damage, also check the paintwork underneath to ensure that it hasn't rubbed the paint off and started to rust.

Otherwise the usual checks, service history, panel alignment and a smooth running motor. :)

• Like 1

Brilliant, thanks for your reply mate, altho i really could have done with this info yesterday lol. :p

We did get the car, which just had a new turbo nearly 12 months ago. We had a few problems getting the bonnet up as the lock is a bit dodge, but got money off the price for that. Will have to be sorted tho! Other than that it looks all ok. Cover for engine was missing but im sure i can pick up a cheap one somewhere.

Seems like a worthy purchase so far! :)

Any idea on dpf removal price?

Some places around our area, are around about 3-400 there are a few out there, its cheaper than the replacement but the main problem is it also comes with a remap, thus you would need to notify your insurance company!

My best bet is to wait till the dpf fails then surely? And then get it mapped and removed after? As it might not even fail.

Thats an option, but when it goes, your driving a car with the power of a mobility scooter. Its entirely your choice, and you may find that it goes for many happy miles, however I would look into the DPF removal anyway, so at least if you do leave it until it falls over, at least you know where you want the car taking after the fact :)

If you wanted an engine remap though, they remap after the removal so you get two for the price of one :p

Thanks mate. Ill deffo check it out. If i get my audi in aswell, then maybe ill get discount :p

Think amd in essex do it so ill check it out tonight.

No worries, hope I have been of some help anyway!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club