Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fusion Wishbone

apn

Hi all, joined up to pick a few brains (and may need to do the same again with father in laws c-max). Wife has a 04 Fusion that snapped a coil spring on the drive yesterday. The drivers side one went last year, so I suppose they've lasted a while, even though the car is only 50k miles.

Anyway, after much trouble (rusted bolts) got the suspension strut off but figured I needed to split the wishbone balljoint from the hub. I was careful not to split the bush but it wouldn't budge, and Haynes manuals are written for cars straight from the manufacturer I suspect (no muck or rust) sodespite my best efforts not to, the bush got a nick in it. After that I used as much brute force as I could muster to get the damned thing separated, and it was a real chore.

So - wishbone replacement as the balljoints are riveted in, but German Swedish French (GSF) sell a ball joint for the wishbone which suggests I could grind the rivets off and bolt the ball joint on. Or is it just easier to replace the wishbone with everything else off?

Also does anyone have a parts diagram of the suspension setup with part numbers? I use ETKA/ELSAWIN for my Seat Leon not sure if there is an equivalent for the ford. Need the part numbers of the pinch bolt (think it's a 17mm) for the strut at the top of the hub (which nearly rounded thanks to rust/crud) and the pinch bolt at the bottom of the hub which has a torx pattern on one end (also rusted, and a swine to get out. Had to hammer the thing out whilst the Haynes said 'slide the bolt out'. Yeah right...)

Thanks for any help

Cheers, Paul

That is absolutely spot on, great stuff!

I take it 1473935/1444106 (bolt and nut) and 1382597 (bolt) are stealer dealer only jobs. Can't see motor facotrs doing them. Think a wishbone is gonna cost around 42 quid from Euro Car Parts and a spring 28 quid from same place. Might plead poverty, see if they knock me some off. If that fails I'll plead stupidity and drool on the counter - usually gets a discount from them just to make you clear off :blink:

• Like 1

Bolts will be a couple of quid each and tbh probably better sourced from Ford to guarantee compatability.
The full hub unit from Ford is about £300.

The couple of quid bit sounds fine. The 300 thing... not so. *gulp*

Why did you need to split the wishbone ball joint from the steering knuckle?

The balljoint seal had split. That means (on the fusion at any rate, though they may have changed later models?) getting the angle grinder and drill out because the ball joint is rivetted, Once it's out (grind off rivets, drill through hole with success bigger bits) the replacement is 12-20 quid depending on where you get it from, and bolts on. The 'premium' balljoint from Euro car parts (list is 20 quid, I paid 16 I think) includes a pinch bolt for the hub-wishbone. Which is nice, considering I'd already bought one from ford. Doh.

Also had to grind off a deep ring socket to get it into the top of the suspension leg. Fun and games. Oh well, at least it's done and should the other side go, it won't take anywhere near as long to sort it out. And it was cheaper than a new wishbone (and having to get tracking sorted).

Now just need to sort out the other bits (timing belt, service, boot solenoid). One job seems to lead to another...