Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retro-Fit Keyless Start

Hell5200

Is it possible to retro fit this, what components would I need, re-wiring to be done, programming keys?

Any help greatly appreciated thanks

It is possible to retrofit the original Keyless Start system but this a major job and requires a lot of (expensive) parts.

The Keyless start system is controlled from a module which is mounted in the boot of the car. This module also controls the PATS (immobilizer) system of the car. For cars with a conventional ignition key the PATS system is controlled by the instrument cluster. A car with keyless start has the PATS control functions of the instrument cluster deactivated in the software.

The parts you need are:

* Start button.

* Keyless start module.

* Complete steering collumn. Cars with Keyless Start are equipped with an electric steering lock.

* All wiring looms in the interior.

* Several PATS sensors which are receiving the PATS signal from the Keyless transponders.

*A minimum of 2 Keyless transponders. They look like a folding key but without the key.

Afterwards the complete system needs to programmed for the car. This can be very difficult because for the reprogramming Ford dealers use the AS-BUILT data of the car. This is a code file which was generated when the car was produced and contains all electrical options and settings of the car. I think most Ford dealers will probably say that it is impossible to retrofit/reprogram the system.

The best way to reprogram the system is to find a Ford mechanic who has some experience of reprogramming this system. Another option is to buy a suitable diagnostic (which can reprogram the PATS system and all of the modules) interface yourself.

I think retrofitting the keyless start system will cost loads of money. In my opinion it would only be interesting if you have access to a scrap car which contains al the needed parts

Well explained by wilco, indeed the steering lock and all that will be a pricy thing, if you are after just the push start button thing you can do that cheaply however it will still require you putting the key in the ignition and turning the ignition on with the key, there on you can press the button to start the car.

Another way of doing this that my brother in law did on his peugeot 307 in 2010, is to buy one of those generic multi feature alarm system off eBay. These systems are very clever they add a lot of security feature to the car i won't go into what those features are but one of the feature it had is the ability to remote start the engine.

How it worked a key was fitted inside of the car hidden under the dash and that was wired into the ignition, when the car was unlocked using the fob for the alarm you could then press another button on the same fob remote that would start the engine, this thing worked from a distance of a mile! tested by me and my brother in law.

Once you start the car with the remote fob it turned on the ignition... you can therefore add a generic push start button that would start the car once you've opened it with the remote fob.

The alarm system cost about £150 off eBay and it cost him £200 to have it fitted by a mechanic. He had to spend another £100+ to get a spare key from the dealer.

I can't find the exact one he had but these are identical

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-way-LCD-car-alarm-remote-start-n-Battery-Backup-Siren-End-Of-YearSpcial-Price-/261125942503?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccc51ace7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Two-2-Way-FSK-Car-Alarm-Security-System-LCD-Remote-Control-Engine-Start-Siren-/400402743495?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item5d39dd00c7

The security side of these alarm system do a lot of things check them out make sure they support remote start, you may find this being a cheaper alternative if you decide on having one and get a quote from a garage to fit it with remote start.

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply JW1982 that does look complicated and costly. mixmasterlooney, just been looking at some of those alarms and they do look pretty awesome so think in gonna go down that root. Thanks.

These systems are very clever they add a lot of security feature to the car i won't go into what those features are but one of the feature it had is the ability to remote start the engine.

How it worked a key was fitted inside of the car hidden under the dash and that was wired into the ignition, when the car was unlocked using the fob for the alarm you could then press another button on the same fob remote that would start the engine, this thing worked from a distance of a mile! tested by me and my brother in law.

Just remember it actually against the law to leave a vehicle, with its engine running,unattended on a public road ;-)

• Like 1

Just remember it actually against the law to leave a vehicle, with its engine running,unattended on a public road ;-)

Indeed i am very much aware of this. Don't try this at home kids

Never heard of that one, been looking at the alarms where you can start your car with your phone. Expensive though.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club