Do Not Sell My Personal Information

11 Plate Ford Focus Tdci Sport Dpf/turbo Problems

KLewis86

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice.

I purchased a Focus TDCi sport 11 plate in December, first month or two ran like a dream! Now I have had no end of problems. The warning light came on so got her towed to the Ford dealer and they said it was the fuel filter so paid £120 to have that changed. The problems still persisted, lack of power on pull off and acceleration, juddery, and drinking fuel like its water! I took it back to Ford who have said they can not find anything wrong with her, even though an independent mechanic has said it is either DPF or Turbo related, but as it is under warranty he declined to do the work and said it was best to keep it with Ford. He also advised that Ford would say that they cannot find a fault even though they know it is DPF related and will just keep sponging it down to make it appear fine due to the cost of the work, until the warranty expires and then saddle me with a few thousand pound bill for a new DPF etc.

Has anyone else had this issue and how is best to resolve this as I know nothing about cars and feel a little cornered.

Many thanks

Kerri

Take it back to Ford and tell them what you've been told as a second opinion and say to them either fix it properly while its under warranty or you'll be going to see citizens advice. Either that or tell them if they dont fix it under warranty you want a full refund for the car and you'll go elsewhere from now on. Id maybe go to citizens advice anyway and they'll be able to let you kbow 100% what your rights are

Hi Dan

Thanks for that Dan.

I did threaten them with the Sale of Goods Act and that they have a "duty of care" and the car hasn't been sold "fit for purpose". They have now had it back in 3 days doing god only knows what to it.

I got my finance company Black Horse involved and they are about as helpful as a chocolate teapot! Never returning calls or replying to emails and this is meant to be the quality assurance team! Not filling me with hope here! I did make them aware of what the independent mechanic told me and shocker they haven't bothered to get back to me. They did say I could swap it for a different car from the garage and were meant to be organising that, but not heard anything back either. I've always had petrol Fords and this is my first diesel and it has put me right off them. Back to petrol for me I think as it has now been 2 months battling this issue.

Ford definitely should be replacing all parts under the warranty, therefore I would demand the refund for the fee you have already paid. I would advise that you chase them up twice a day requesting an update.

Is it a proper Ford dealer? If so id maybe get in touch with Ford customer services directly and explain to them the problems that you're having with the dealership and they should be able to help you

Diesels are alright if your doing the mileage to make it worth having one but the DPF issues are well known on the 1.6 engines

Hi James

Their excuse for the charge was that its a servicable part and should have been done at the service by the previous owner and wasnt. Think they know i dont really have a clue and are just fobbing me off each time.

Dan,

Yes it is a Ford Franchise x

OK as a serviceable part, then that makes sense.

Just starting to lose faith a bit now. They said they would call this morning about collecting her, it's 12.15 and not called so rang them and apparently the guy is "tied up" and will call back. They must have found something to have her in for 3 days mustn't they? Gosh I must sound like such a moaner lol!

lol, I wouldnt worry about it, were all here to have a moan now and then ;) lol :p as for the delay, it could be that another repair they did overran and therefore they didnt get to your car in the alloted time slot...

Thanks guys!

I am printing off all my records of contact with ford and black horse and will be contacting CAB about it. After having the car 3 days and having seen my photographic evidence of the fuel consumption/distance travelled they are still refusing to do anything further until i have filled out a tank to tank sheet.

Sounds like stalling tactics to push you closer to the warranty expiry

To be honest Dan, that wouldn't count for anything. Because Kerri has a contract with them (the warranty period as well as the vehicle purchase) and because she has advised Ford of the issues on the vehicle within the warranty period, if they were to stall the repair until after the warranty period and attempt to charge, then that would be a breach of contract, one which Kerri could then seek a full refund of the vehicle and any costs associated with the claim. So as far as stalling is concerned, if they were to be doing that deliberately they wouldn't have a leg to stand on!

Kerri, The request to do a "tank to tank" isn't too unreasonable. Purely on the basis that the car needs chance to adjust to your driving style, but as I mentioned above, they wont be able to use this as a stalling tactic, and therefore would be obliged to repair any problems that have come from it.

Thanks James, I'm just slightly bemused as to why they want to do it now when the symptoms have been present since March, and up until today there was no mention of a Tank to Tank sheet. Would this cause harm in anyway as I was advised by the dealer I purchased the vehicle from that I should never let her become empty as it can get particles in the fuel system?

They just mean run it down to a reasonable level (say when the warning light comes on). You certainly shouldn't run it down to fumes, but as the light comes on with 50 estimated miles range, just get it close to there, make a note of the miles you have done, the miles you have left, and the amount of fuel used.

To be honest Dan, that wouldn't count for anything. Because Kerri has a contract with them (the warranty period as well as the vehicle purchase) and because she has advised Ford of the issues on the vehicle within the warranty period, if they were to stall the repair until after the warranty period and attempt to charge, then that would be a breach of contract, one which Kerri could then seek a full refund of the vehicle and any costs associated with the claim. So as far as stalling is concerned, if they were to be doing that deliberately they wouldn't have a leg to stand on!

Kerri, The request to do a "tank to tank" isn't too unreasonable. Purely on the basis that the car needs chance to adjust to your driving style, but as I mentioned above, they wont be able to use this as a stalling tactic, and therefore would be obliged to repair any problems that have come from it.

Never thought of that. Moved to focus section

Personally ide take another car but thats me once you get into these things they go on and on also a ford approved car should have been serviced prior to sale so its the dealers fault not youres and they know that all cars should undergo an inspection and service also garages can get out of it as they havent found a fault the paperwork will say that so when the warranty runs out they will eventually find a fault worked for enough garages to know the tricks

Hi Arthur

Blackhorse said they wont replace it till a major fault is found

ive worked for garages and this is what they dont tell people and why i got out of it in youre case there is no faults found allegedly the diagnostics report sheet will show this and the engineers report also will state no faults found the warranty runs out and you still have the same issue again for another 1 or 2 times no faults will be found then suddenly it will you argue it was there and reported under warranty however i have the proof there were no faults found with the car now you have to prove its the same fault as before you cant you have no documented evidence to say so citizens avice will tell you to take it to a small claims court ide say fine go ahead ive got engineers reports to say no faults were present and we kept the car for days looking for a fault you claimed existed but we couldnt find it all goes in the garages favour so heres what to do

go to the dealer and ask to see the engineers report on the car if there is one which there should be they have had the car 3 days i gaurantee its spent most of that tucked away in a corner not being looked at whilst they deal with the paying customers ask to see the diagnostics report as well now tell the engineer to come in the car and drive it so the fault can be seen and felt by them now you have an engineer who has to report he has witnessed the fault himself you may find things move a little quicker if not tell them you are taking it to another ford dealer to get a second diagnosis on the car

the fuel things a load of rubbish all fuel is drawn from the bottom of the tank true when its low theres more sediment there and particles its not recommened to do it all the time the ford will have a red light that comes on when theres 50 miles of fuel left in the reserve

as said as part of fords resale if the filter was due on the service then they should have servidced it before sale so that should have been done its maybe time to call ford uk

agree with Arthur. The evidence now has to be shown to them and really you need to be able to prove to them so that they cant argue.

Thanks guys I don't know what Id have done without your advice. I was supposed to get the car back yesterday but the tech wanted me to take him out in it so I did, he must have found something as he then asked to keep it for another night. No idea what they are up to. I have asked my dad to come collect it with me, but will definitely ask for the documents you have mentioned Arthur.

Thats what were here for :) Most of what I have learned about cars came from this forum over the years, as I am sure a lot can say (unlike people like FOCA, mintalkin and artscot who seem to know a lot more than a lot of mechanics I have known over the years!)

Looking forward to you setting a size 10 in the dealers backside!

Haha James me too! I was looking through my law books last night, wish I did commercial law instead of criminal now lol!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club