Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Cap

MR290XR5

Hello Every body,

Over on the East coast of Australia one of the members of our XR5 club has had something add to his fuel tank turning the fuel a milky colour and shutting down the engine. It will need a complete strip down and clean from tank to injectors. We have noticed that on the LV XR5/ST225 that you cannot lock the fuel flap and there is no fuel cap as on older models. Has anyone had one fitted or know of a mod that would stop any playing around with the fuel access.

Cheer

Peter

You possibly could get a locking fuel cap as an aftermarket, however, its a difficult one.

Maybe one of these would work? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_226201_langId_-1

I would assume you're referring to the Easyfuel system where they decided that as the filler neck has anti-syphon flaps they did away with the filler cap?

I'm pretty sure that there is a lockable cap available (whether it's an official Ford part or not I'm not able to confirm at present).

I'll have a dig around and see what I can work out for you.

Found this one so appears to be an official Ford part-

http://accessories.ford.com/locking-fuel-plug.html

As far as I can tell the anti-syphon flaps are supposed to also engage when central locking is applied, but would assume this is to stop pipes entering the tank rather than form a fluid tight seal so something could run in while locked.

Milky fuel to me would actually suggest water has mixed with the diesel.

Yes they all come with the anti - syphon system and no cap. Would have thought with this system they would have put some sort of mechanism in place to lock the cap when the car was locked. Thank you for your suggestion so far "jeebowhite" And will wait and see if you come up with anything Stoney871.

I appreciate the replies so far guys. Thank You.

Stoney871. Thank you very much for the efforts and the link. The XR5 with the milky fuel is a petrol 2.5 litre turbo same as your ST225.

THANK YOU again.

Not a problem mate.

I think you can tell I'm a diesel guy myself so always tend to default to the devils blood ;).

I still reckon water ingress though.

I think the guy had not long before filled up his tank so could be water. A locking fuel cap is just a bit more peace of mind in my opinion. We are more petrol than diesel over here but it is changing slowly. The problem with diesel over here is the premium you pay to purchase one,they have done test and you could run a petrol for about 3 years on the difference in purchase price. Thanks again for the link. I'll e-mail them and see if they are available in Australia.

Cheers.

Unfortunately the diesel outlay price is the same world wide. We have exactly the same issues over here. You tend to pay about 3k more for a diesel on average on a brand new car!

i just tried pouring some redex into my tank which came out on the floor in under the middle of the car so its probably unlikely for anybody to easily sabotage your fuel

and apparently a normal jerry can jack wont work either, theres an adapter for a jerry can in with the spare wheel (Google says) havent checked this yet though

Found this cap on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-LOCKING-FUEL-PLUG-GAS-CAP-FIESTA-2011-2012-2013-/330890280079?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0a98fc8f

Says worldwide delivery is available.

It says only for the Fiesta but can't see why it won't be compatible with all easyfuel cars.

James, this is what your emergency filler funnel should look like-

$(KGrHqRHJEEFElCCoT0FBRM2lMvEf!~~60_12.J

The nozzles are black on petrol cars and white on diesels.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this cap on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-LOCKING-FUEL-PLUG-GAS-CAP-FIESTA-2011-2012-2013-/330890280079?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0a98fc8f

Says worldwide delivery is available.

It says only for the Fiesta but can't see why it won't be compatible with all easyfuel cars.

James, this is what your emergency filler funnel should look like-

$(KGrHqRHJEEFElCCoT0FBRM2lMvEf!~~60_12.J

The nozzles are black on petrol cars and white on diesels.

Thanks kind of like a shewee had a look when i fitted the towbar (needed the jack) theres not one in my boot with the spare

They're only a couple of quid but an essential item if needing to use a fuel can or additives.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club