Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Best To Buy

perkib

Hi,

I am looking to buy a 2010ish Mondeo probably diesel, I currently run an LPG (75) so you can guess my question, which is the most economical on fuel. I have been looking at 1.8TDCI 125 or even 2.0TDCI DPF 140. Not sure what all the number mean (1.8 & 2.0 I know). I travel to work on the motorway (22 each way) and do about 50miles town driving at weekends (all aprox mileage). which is the better, Ive been told the 2.00ltr are peugoet engines which have a good reputation but know nothing on the 1.8. Can anyone help please.

The numbers afterwards tend to be the BHP of the engine. The 2.0 is slightly more powerful so you will be looking at slightly less economy, the 1.8 is a good engine, but it depends on what weight you are looking to lug around?

the newer engines are definately more powerful and efficient than marques only a few years older. The new 1.8 engines or at least if it's a 61 plate will be as powerful as an older 54-56 plate 2.0 litre and much more efficient so definately worth a look. It's worth going for anything above the basic LX trim, so I guess Zetec and above just that bit nicer inside and with decent alloys. I'm not sure but this may also come with a frnt heated windscreen so a real benefit in the winter. I used to have 51 reg 2.0 Diesel Zetec in grey ten years ago and loved it, very reliable. I'd snap up the chance to get a comparable version in a 60 or 61 plate even a 1.8 litre although the extra power is nice on the motorway.

It's worth going for anything above the basic LX trim, so I guess Zetec and above just that bit nicer inside and with decent alloys.

The Mk III has an LX as the base model, for a Mk IV that is an 'Edge'. With the Edge, you don't get alloys (as standard, I think that you could upgrade, but few did), you only get the 'simple' air con and not the Dual Zone controller, and you don't get front fogs. It looks better with the front fogs, irrespective of whether you use them, and the Zetec wheels are way better than the Edge 'steels with a plastic cover' jobs, so only consider the Edge if funds really are tight - there is not that much difference in secondhand price to the Zetec, and the Zetec is worth it. Ghias and Titaniums get more kit, but I'd say you want to be at least at 'Zetec'. Not sure exactly when the Ghia trim level became unavailable, but that may not be an option at all for you at that age.

The 1.8 125 (versus the 2.0 140) doesn't make a lot of sense to me; there isn't much gain in fuel economy for the loss of 15 bhp. On the other hand, because the 1.8s are less desirable, you are more likely to find a bargain 1.8 than a bargain 2.0.

Later on, the 'eco' model role was taken by the 1.6, and while that is definitely down on power wrt the 2.0, at least you get noticeably improved economy for it (at least, based on the government figures, in as much as those are reliable).

Thanks for all the update... Still havent decided although I notice resonable mondeos seem to be more expensive than say Insignias and 508 which are other models I'm looking at. Could this be because they are better cars or because there are fewer around

The new design definitely seems more desirable than the older MK3. I would have thought the 1.8L TDCi 125 is definitely worth a shout in Zetec trim. Should be a few of these around with 60-80k and a relatively low price on the forecourt. Ghia trim was available up to 08 although I haven't seen many around. I must say when I do see them very occasionally I tend to notice. The Titanium and Titanium X are very popular (especially down here in Surrey :)) I suspect you can get them at a decent price in good condition at 60-61 plate. The cars been winning a lot of awards so it's definitely up there with comparable mid level motors.

PS, 15 months ago I bought a 54 reg MK3 Ghia X 6 speed Auto. I know age can put people of but it had only 32,000 on the clock, lady owner full stamps from new, 17" alloys, Front heated windscreen, Elec' Sunroof, Elct chair adjust, Satellite navigation, Air con and climate, cream leather interior and 6CD changer in boot, leather and wood steering wheel. Drives beautifully with little maintenance, no scratches, completely immaculate, just no ware at all (the only outstanding thing being an injector off pipe last week costing £100 with labour) Car cost me 4k. A bargain and bought through a main Ford dealership. Although the car was eight years old I did get a lot for my money especially when you consider the original price when sold was close to 24k.

I guess what I'm saying is there are a lot of factors to weigh up. For the money paid I would rather have the car above over a 61 plate with 100,000k on the clock. I had 4 grand cash so bought the best I could and since I've owned mondeo's in the past bought the best I could find. I've had more impressive cars bough from new but paid out massive repayment loans to own them. These days I buy cash. Better way to live and far less stress.

Peugeots generally have rather poor reputations for reliability, although, to be completely fair an amount of this will be squeaks, rattles and general lack of quality rather than big expense items. But that's enough to hit their desirability as a used purchase.

The Insignia is almost certainly a lot better than previous generations of Vauxhalls. It would be less of a 'driver's car' than a Mondeo, but if you are more into the space/comfort than driving pleasure, it would still be quite a good option. Reliability is probably inferior, even though both are 'mostly reliable with occasional forays into significant expense' cars, which is a particular issue with diesels.

Also, while the Insignias (diesels) claim really good economy figures, you'll find the internet is full of people claiming that they miss the official figures by very wide margins. While all of the official figures get missed somewhat, this is really quite an extreme effect, and it is a bit unclear whether Vauxhall have just found more dramatic ways of 'tricking' the official testing, and the cars are ok-ish but the official figures are illusory (over-promising and under-delivering), or whether there is something more serious going on, like some systematic faults.

Where are you looking to see a range of vehicles? For this, I find Auto Trader is the best web site, but Ex & Mart and Motors.co.uk are also useful, the latter if you want to set a spec and see what cars are available, irrespective of model.

Great feedback.. Thanks. it getting the right mondeo now as that seems to be the car to go for. Needs to be a good MPG for me as I have said previously, running an LPG right now so going back to petrol ... not an option so it has to be deisel.

Peugeots generally have rather poor reputations for reliability, .

The Mondeo mk4 (2007- present) 2.0L, and 2.2L use PSA (Peugeot/Citroën) engines

A relevant thread -

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/44608-common-faults-2022-tdci-2008-2010/

and-

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/43726-variants-explained-please/

The Mondeo mk4 (2007- present) 2.0L, and 2.2L use PSA (Peugeot/Citroën) engines

A relevant thread -

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/44608-common-faults-2022-tdci-2008-2010/

and-

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/43726-variants-explained-please/

It is a good point, and I overlooked the fact that the OP may not know it, however the reliability of the car is not just down to the engine block. Electrical niggles can be a real pain and there really is a lot of 'electrical' in a modern car. This is one of the reasons that French cars tend to do better in the 'cheap and cheerful' bracket, in which you tend to get less of the electrical comfort and convenience items, than in bigger vehicles. If you ain't got it, you ain't got it to go wrong...

if you want information on how this actually works out in practice, there is a Which Magazine comparing various cars and which breaks down the faults into various categories (eg, breakdowns and niggles).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club