Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Have The Worst Luck(Helpppppp)

smithy17

Hi all.

So basically Iv just bought a new (old) car also being my third car within the last year but of course as it was cheap £999 it came with some problems. The car is a ford focus 1.6 lx (2000) and here come the problems;

1. The gear stick spring had snapped so was a wee bit floppy - easy enough to fix thanks to a great guide on this forum.

2. My speedo dropped out while driving, which was odd. And then mileage just kind of flat lined. But then after a while they came back. Iv been reading up and could possibly be the speed sensor?!?

3. The car is very juddery when for example I am in third and come to a round about, I slow down to prepare to stop but don't need to so I have slowed right down but accelerate again in third, but the car seems to hold back the power and put up a fight by knocking me back and forth a little. Maybe a slight misfire?!

4. (This isn't so much a problem, just a question) when I stop day for example at lights. The car seems to vibrate a fair bit, almost as if I'm revving a little, but the rev gauge doesn't move so it isn't revving. Is this normal?

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys and I look forward to your responses

Cheers

Dan

try giving it a service (oil,plugs and filters) also change the HT leads, as for the speedo falling out!!!!!! never had that before, any chance you can take it back to where you got it?

Yeah we'll Iv just ordered a cam-belt kit so gunna get it serviced when I get that done, as I'm not very 'mechanically minded' ha. And as for taking it back, to be honest if its not a major bank breaker I'd rather keep the car as its a very tidy model and its more hassle than its worth, having to find a new car for the same price.

when I said take it back I meant to get it serviced and running right, :)

Ahhh I see. I will try and phone them tomorrow. Hopefully they can sort it as they were very nice. Not like most car dealers who just want your money. Fingers crossed ay..

Problem with the speedo certainly sounds like the VSS.

Have you noticed also if when the speedo drops that the engine power drops and the tacho stops reading the incremented mileage?

Other problems sound like the idle control valve or throttle position sensor.

• Like 1

being 2000 model, is it the mk1 focus or the older mk2 version, if so check for water in the spark plugs wells, as this could cause missfire

• Like 1

Yeah it seems to drop a little in power, and yes it stops recording any mileage at all. But then after a while it all goes back to being fine. I popped down to see the dealers mechanic and he was all good about it. Said he's gunna get a speed sensor ordered, then fit that and start looking into the juddering, so will start with spark plugs and keep going until sorted. And also going to service it. So there being fair about it thankfully.

Also, I believe it's the mk1. It's a w reg..

Definitely VSS at fault then.

Get that out of the way and go from there.

Yeah, fingers crossed it gets sorted at no cost to me ha. Probably one of the small amount of dealers across country hah

If I were you I would ask them if this is gonna be done under some kind of warranty or are you being charged for all this cos you don't want to get stung at the end, especially wen they got your car keys, if they are gonna charge you see if you can come to some kind of deal like you pay for parts and they don't charge you any labour or something like that after all they sold it to you like this, it might only be £999 to them but it may be £999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999.99p to someone else and you should get at least 1 month warranty with it ;) good luck mate let us know how you get on

Yeah I know what you mean. I won't let them have the keys under I have it set in stone whether its going to cost me anything. Also does anyone have an answer for the 4th question?? Cheers for all the replies.

Yeah I know what you mean. I won't let them have the keys under I have it set in stone whether its going to cost me anything. Also does anyone have an answer for the 4th question?? Cheers for all the replies.

Idle control valve possibly.