Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leaky Mondeo:- Diesel Leak At Front Of Engine

JohnTemp

Hi Folks. I bought an 04 Ford Mondeo Ghia X auto six speed about a year ago with 32,000 on the clock.

It's the 2.0 duratorq tdci 130. It's a lovely car and it passed a minor service a few months ago although the local garage who are usually pretty good also noticed quite a lot of old oil collecting in the oil trap under the engine yet everthing seemned pretty dry so assume it's an old fault.

I have also noticed more recently a strong smell of diesel possibly spent, coming into the front cabin with a slight diesel mist coming from the front bonnet when stationary. This generally only happens noticeably after accelerating on the motorway for some time. It's definitely getting worse since there is a faint cover of diesel occurring on the back of the car. It also leaks from the front just to the left hand side a good spotting on the ground when left for an hour or so.

Researching simerlar symptoms refer to a loose injector pipe or return pipe since the leak is a dark reddish brown and quite thin and there is no discernable loss of power when pulling away. Definately a bit wet on the underside closest to the floor although as you can probably tell I really don't know enough about what might be going on. MPH still seems very reliable at 38-39 mpg. No warning lights.

I'm taking it in to the local garage since I don't want to be dumping a lot of greasy fuel on the road. Just wondering if this is going to be a bit of an expensive mare or not. I'll let you know how I fare.

Had the car returned with a leaking injector leak off pipe. Been told this is quite a common problem, surprising at 40,000 miles and reqular servicing. £120 for replacement part and labour cost plus VAT. Seems ok I guess. Runs nice and clean now no drips and dieasel smog.

why did you get an automatic? no exactly great on fuel for a diesel

hi stooge. It wasn't my main reason for buying, in fact I was a bit cautious at the time. I was so impressed with the price and overall package I decide to risk it. Has so many nice features. I can set the seats to chill as well as warm, so it's been very nice on these hot days. I must also say after having driven manual my entire life the auto is rather refined. I like the fact I can concentrate solely on the steering and the cruise feature on the motorway is pretty cool. I do a six hour drive to North Yorkshire quite regularly so it's proven to be a blessing.

On the mileage, your right, I'm lucky to touch 40mpg but I paid a good £1200 less than the dealer originally wanted so swings and roundabouts. My biggest bug bear is under revving at 30mph around town and does feel a bit 'floaty' at anything less than 50mph. It much prefers the motorway.

I can agree with you on the auto front, I got one with more than an edge of caution. Although different cars, my CMAX auto 1.6 can do a fair 42 - 46MPG on my daily commute to the office. As long as the cars looked after by the new owner (and any previous owner damage can be limited) you can get a very good deal out of it.

Good job it wasnt a leaking injector!

• Like 1

Good job it wasnt a leaking injector!

​Surely the stuff of nightmares. It did have me a little worried.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club