Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Juddering Steering Wheel

Pirategirl

Hi guys!

I was hoping to come back with pics of mods and something more cheerful! Sadly I seem to have another problem!

My car has started juddering when applying the brakes. Mainly when slowing down on motorway or dual carriageway as opposed to city driving.

Any ideas of what this could be? It only started happening today and really hope that it is not quite as costly as the 'glow plug' incident.

Any thoughts greatly welcomed.

Amanda :)

unfortunately it sounds like you have warped discs!

If you take the wheels off and rotate the disks watching the brake pad, you may well see that one point rolls closer to the pad than the rest of the disk, even a milimeter of warp will cause a bad wobble!

does the pedal judder?

Could be warped disks, a damaged disk (chunk out of it), unbalanced alloys, combination of 2 or more :P

That'd be where I'd start looking!

unfortunately it sounds like you have warped discs!

If you take the wheels off and rotate the disks watching the brake pad, you may well see that one point rolls closer to the pad than the rest of the disk, even a milimeter of warp will cause a bad wobble!

Hi Jeebowhite,

Thanks for your response. Is it expensive? I have found a good garage since my last issue, so could take it there. They are on the trusted traders website, so do trust them.

Also, is it detrimental to continue driving it? I only usually drive a mile or so to work, and not noticing it then.

Amanda :mellow:

The alloys are bad for buckling may need balanced

Hi Arthur,

Is this common on F Focus? If it's just balancing I would be happy with that. Could take it to my local 'selecta tyre' to get that sorted. I suppose it is a good place to start.

Thank you for responding to me.

Amanda :)

does the pedal judder?

Hi John,

No judder on the pedal that I have noticed, but will check for that next time I am in it.

So would that be re balancing or worse?

Amanda :(

its not expensive to have the wheels checked and balanced and since there off the guy can spin the disk and see if its warped sounds like the wheels though

Could be warped disks, a damaged disk (chunk out of it), unbalanced alloys, combination of 2 or more :P

That'd be where I'd start looking!

Thanks David!

Will have a look. Think I may take it to my local 'Selecta Tyre', I have been to the with my last 2 cars and seem on the level so shall start there and see what they say!

Amanda ;)

its not expensive to have the wheels checked and balanced and since there off the guy can spin the disk and see if its warped sounds like the wheels though

Hi Arthur,

Sounds like a good place to start then! The car is not terribly old, but old enough to start having issues I suppose. I would rather get things checked as and when they happen, rather than run the risk of causing further damage.

Payday next week so shall take it in and post the diagnosis!

Thank you :D

The focus alloys are easy to buckle pot holes are a prime cause if the wheel isnt balaced it causes vibration through the steering wheel more noticeable at low speeds if thetes vibration when using the brakes its a warped brake disk again common mainly caused by sitting in traffic with youre foot on the brake also worn ball joints or wishbone bushes can cause this they should find it easily enough whatever it ends up as

• Like 1

Thanks Arthur, a few possibilities then. Will have to see what they say when I take it in.

Most likely the disks

I have experienced this numerous times and it wasn't the discs at all. It was just the pads. I found that new pads if they are not bedded in properly before heavy braking, overheat and cause this juddering effect every time you brake from high speeds afterwards.

If your discs look ok, just change the pads and take it easy for the first few hundred miles.

I was looking recently at replacing my disks, to be fair I found a full set of 4 discs and all pads for £85 off eBay. Not overly expensive considering what your getting...

Mine judders on moderate to heavy braking, sometimes even pulls to one side. Being fixed next week, ball joint is wearing out and is also causing some uneven wear on the tyre. Brakes fully tested and no issues.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club