Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Average Mpg In The Focus Mk2 1.6 Petrol 100Bhp

ZetecShearer1987

Hi

I have been reading on here for a while all the different mpg figures that focus owners are getting, most seem to discuss the diesel models.

For me the only reason i went for a petrol model was because i live with 2 miles of where i work and its all stop start town driving, so any diesel purchase woud have been pointless (or woud it) as i dont do massive miles each year.

So when it came to picking a petrol model i naturally chose the 1.6 petrol, looked at the 1.4 but reviews say its to underpowered for the car its pulling and the 1.8 was a quicker ride but returned some low mpg around town mid 20's. I like the 1.6 petrol, may have gone for the ti-vct model but there was none in my budget of £7000 with lowish millage. the 100bhp 1.6 does pull wellish and returns decent mpg figures.

I am getting roughly 36mpg around town doing a slow 2 mile trip to work in traffic then close to 50mpg on a motorway drive for 30 miles doing 70ish.

is that about right for the engine and what figures have other owners been getting with theres.

• Like 1

Thats not too bad at all to be fair :)

Ptetty decent figures

I have the 1.6. I get 34-36 with10 miles town driving a week, And mabye 2hours a week at 60 ish to work and back.

So mine is roughly 35 mpg on average.

Went on a 400 mile round trip. Went up to 41mpg at speeds of 70 touching 80 at some points.

I do notice once i go over 70mph the mpg does start to come down quite a bit, i seem to get the best a road/motorway mpg doing between 60 and 70

• Like 1

Sounds about right mines getting 32mpg with very little motorway/dual carriageway use, i was looking for diesels but they were about £1500-£2000 above what i payed for my petrol plus with the chance of dpf failures on most eventually apparently common turbo failures on 1.6 and then dmf probs on the bigger dervs i opted for a petrol :)

Do all the mk2 focus diesels have dpf's i know the 1.6 does, how about the 1.8 and 2.0 litre versions

quick eBay search search shows 1.8's and 2.0's with dpf cant confirm if all do tho, sure someone will soon though

Useful.

Apologies folks, had the phone in my pocket on this forum and ended up typing this in my pocket! I have removed it...

The 1.8 TDCI doesnt have a DPF but the 1.6 and 2.0 do. different manufracture on the engine apparantly

I averaged 43.5 mpg last week going to and from Shropshire which was a 215 mile jaunt each way. Traffic was awful. Speeds ranged between 0 and 85 mph. A lot of variable speed limits between 40 and 60 and my satnav took me via a few alternative routes through various villages and towns to avoid some of the really bad stuff.

• 8 years later...

Hi I have a 2009 Ford Focus zetec 1.6 petrol can any tell me why I’m only getting 20mpg around town 

***** E10 petrol? high mileage car? car needs a service? cold engine still on choke? cheap tyres with low tyre pressure? stop start in heavy traffic? brakes dragging?  i only use e5 fuel (bp ultimate unleaded)  in my 1.6 cost a bit more ..it goes a lot better.. don't rely on the onboard fuel trip meter .. it tells lies

1 hour ago, Danielsteph said:

Hi I have a 2009 Ford Focus zetec 1.6 petrol can any tell me why I’m only getting 20mpg around town 

Love an old thread being resurrected LOL My 2005 Mk2 LX 1.6 110,000 miles, consistently gets a combined 30Mpg, and on long trips, will astound by getting about 35Mpg.

The original sales brochure for the 2005 model states 32.5 mpg urban, and 42.2 mpg combined. Though, when was the last time anyone believed a sales brochure!  🤣

• Like 1

I get about the same MPG as the above post. I do an average of 80 miles a week on 12.5l of fuel which is around 30mpg.

My old car was a 1990s Japanese 1.6l I4 Petrol.

The Focus does about the same MPG as that around town, but is better on long motorway runs.

When was your air filter element last changed? That is cheap and easily done, and can be a slight improvement.

• 2 months later...

I love old threads as well and as I have an old ford focus mk2 1.6 the old ones are about my car... It depends how you drive.   On a motorway trip I get about 46mpg, that is me crawling at about 60 and hardly pressing the peddle. It could be up to 49 but that requires really extraordinary traffic and dedication.  Stop start driving or motorway driving at 70 or even 80 would be alot worse.

Newish car on a very old thread..mk4 1.5L petrol auto 34.7mpg . You’d think they’d improve the mpg 10 year later. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Newish car on a very old thread..mk4 1.5L petrol auto 34.7mpg . You’d think they’d improve the mpg 10 year later. 

Don't you have almost double the BHP though? :wink:

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Don't you have almost double the BHP though? :wink:

True, was gonna compare with the XR3i , it did similar mpg but  0-60 in 10.4 secs. It felt so much faster at the time! 104bhp. 
Mid range now are doing 90s hot hatch speed  and todays hot hatches are doing 90s super car speeds. Top spec teslas doing 0-60 in 2.1 seconds!! How do they not get unintentionally airborne? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

How do they not get unintentionally airborne? 

Have you seen the weight of a battery pack 🤣 🤣

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Alex.S said:

True, was gonna compare with the XR3i , it did similar mpg but  0-60 in 10.4 secs. It felt so much faster at the time! 104bhp. 
Mid range now are doing 90s hot hatch speed  and todays hot hatches are doing 90s super car speeds. Top spec teslas doing 0-60 in 2.1 seconds!! How do they not get unintentionally airborne? 

XR3i weighed under a tonne and had a lower unsprung weight (no unnecessary 18s!! :laugh: ) so would have been quicker low end.  0-60 doesn't tell the full the picture.  The 'feel' of speed also comes from the noise, discomfort, rattles, etc which have been largely removed from modern cars.  Although it seems Ford have tried to retain some of those lol.

The real answer about avoiding lift-off is clever aerodynamics, basically shaping the bodywork opposite to that of a plane wing.  When the Audi TT first came out, the rounded nose shape was so poorly designed that the front end would lift at speed, taking the weight off of the steered wheels and causing RTCs! :unsure: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

XR3i weighed under a tonne and had a lower unsprung weight (no unnecessary 18s!! :laugh: ) so would have been quicker low end. 

I owned an XR3i from new in 1986, you know, in my whole time of ownership, I never did one single MPG test, shows how unimportant it was in those days when a gallon of petrol was about £1.50 LOL

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I owned an XR3i from new in 1986, you know, in my whole time of ownership, I never did one single MPG test, shows how unimportant it was in those days when a gallon of petrol was about £1.50 LOL

And ironically, it was the fuel crisis of the 70's that helped the hot hatches along! :biggrin: 

Petrol was still just under a pound a litre when I started driving, but I still worked out the MPG at every tankful...was much more interested in the facts & figures than the speed! :laugh: 

I couldn’t afford an XR3i unfortunately. But I knew people that had them. One guy bought (can’t remember what plate) a silver one had fkn dents on the roof , bought from a guy he met in a supermarket car park lol . He was a complete idiot. Never put oil in it , started it one day , engine seized ! Not sure exactly how but that was the end of it. On top of that he was driving round uninsured , the insurance company he had paid up front the years insurance turned out was a scam company based in Manchester. No internet in those days. 

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club