Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Interior Trim Rattle Thread

rich57

As much as I am happy with my Focus the one thing that bugs me is the amount of rattles, knocks and creaks that come from the interior trim (not mechanical noises) so I am on a mission to find and fix as many of these as possible. I thought it might be useful to have thread to post found fixes, so I shall start off . . .

Underside of rear seats (hatchback)
Attached to underside the cushion of the rear seats are two foam rubber pads, the purpose of these is to stop the metal of the underside of the seat cushion hitting the metal of the floor. Mine had broken and come away from the cushion, on the other side the pad was totally missing, the solution was to buy a roll of 8mm foam rubber with self adhesive backing off eBay and make some new pads, I even added extra pads for good measure – one rattle / knocking fixed. Photo shows new pads fitted.

a_063092d8c903c_800.jpg

Rear parcel shelf (hatchback)
Although the parcel shelf has two little rubber pads attached to the sides mine was still rattling and knocking particularly on poor surfaced roads. I then noticed at the back of the shelf (near rear window) the plastic ledge where the shelf sits was worn slightly on both sides where the self repeatedly hits and rubs. The solution again 8mm foam rubber with self adhesive backing and to make two little pads to cushion the shelf. Another rattle / knocking fixed. Photo shows one pad fitted (nearside).

a_7f421b789776f_800.jpg

Driver’s door window rattle
I have also posted this in another thread, have still yet to find a fix for this :angry:

The fiesta isn't a whole lot better, I can't even locate mine either, all I know is its worse when the sun has been working on it all day.

I get the drivers side "window rattle" but I chalked it up to the seatbelt height adjuster by my head, not the window?

I get the drivers side "window rattle" but I chalked it up to the seatbelt height adjuster by my head, not the window?

Interesting you say that . . . I also thought that might be the cause but I have wedged it, taped and adjusted it and the rattle does not change, you still might well be right but at the moment I'm thinking its the window or the door.

• 2 weeks later...

Rattle update! - I say this very cautiously but I think I may have found the source of the dreaded window / door rattle, I now think it’s not the door or window but the floor seatbelt mounting between the driver’s seat and the door. Last night I jammed some small pieces of foam into the mounting as a temporary fix and to test my theory, so far on the journey to work no rattle, but time will tell . . . the girlfriend thinks I’m becoming totally rattle obsessed, she may well be right! :mellow:

On the parcel shelf i put the foam all the way up both sides in the channel i can say no rattles at all now i hate them they drive me nuts

On the parcel shelf i put the foam all the way up both sides in the channel i can say no rattles at all now i hate them they drive me nuts

Totally with you on that, they drive me nuts too! . . . my other post about fixing the window / door rattle – I spoke too soon, it’s still there after all :angry: I am reluctant at the moment to take it to a Ford dealer until I can actually pinpoint where it’s coming from, otherwise I think I going to get a big bill for them to spend ages searching for it.

Go over everything with a small rubber mallet.

If its a rattle only when the window is down then ive seen a fair few with it true or not but the ford guy reckons its due to a few things the design of the window for one and the curve it has to it and old window rubbers wearing with age normally the rubbers and channels keep everything tightish till they get old may bw a load of rubbish but a few ive seen wont do it with the window up

Stoney did you mean a big hammer lol

• 5 years later...
On 7/5/2013 at 5:44 PM, crimeblitz1 said:

Mine is the same but on the passenger side 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club