Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Diesel Engine

adz83

I currently have a 1.6 petrol mk2 Focus which i like alot, however a potential new job will mean that my mileage could increase drastically so now i'm considering getting a diesel. I'd like to stick with a Focus mk2/2.5 but not sure which engine to go for as there seems to be 3 different units used 1.6,1.8 and 2.0. Which is the pick of the bunch in terms of reliability and fuel economy.

Thanks.

hi mate

I have the 1.6 tdci sport getting 50 tatting around town.

58 to 60 on motorway distance can get better but its how you drive cant say about larger engins

hope this helps

Cheers, have you had any problems with it since you've owned it?

I have the 1.8 TDCI getting about 50mpg generally.

Good pulling power no issue in the year I have had it and best of all NO DPF!

The DPF is a common issue on the other two engines so worth bearing in mind.

runs great bags of power love the car

Don't get the 1.6.

Had nout but trouble with mine (had it since Feb).

They're known for blowing turbos if not serviced regularly enough (ford say services should be every 10000 miles, it's actually more like every 6000!)

They also have problems with valve seals.

If you can afford the insurance etc, go for the 1.8 or 2.0. I'll be replacing mine with a 1.8 next year.

1.8 engine is the only one made by ford themselves. The others are made by some other company beginning with P :-P

I'd recommend the 1.8 every time

1.8 engine is the only one made by ford themselves. The others are made by some other company beginning with P :-P

I'd recommend the 1.8 every time

Exactly, but apparently out of the two p*****t engines the 2.0 is the better one. ;)

Oh right so they're basically HDI engines then, will keep a lookout for a 1.8 then by the sound of things.

I like my 1.6 and i think it pulls very well even under load... no DPF problems so far... turbo's still pretty new 23000 miles. The 1.6 is only £30 a year to tax, cheaper to insure too, i think you could save money on tax, insurance and fuel to replace a DPF easily if it did happen.

I can get over 400 miles on a full tank in london every time. I like the 1.6 but sometimes wish i had the bigger engine for bragging rights :P

Keep in mind though that in colder temperature it takes forever to warm up and during this time it uses a lot of fuel regardless of what block you have, diesel downside. consider your mileage in winter, too short of a journey will cost you

The 1.8 diesel engine is old, heavy, unrefined, costs more to tax and does about 10 mpg less than the 1.6.

I had the 1.6 engine in the Citroen I had before the Focus and it was a joy to drive... when it worked.

I had problems with injectors seals (twice), the HP pump ate itself killing two injectors with the swarf it spat out and I started having DPF 'anti-pollution' warnings just before I got rid. All of the savings I made with the excellent fuel economy were wiped out by repairs.

So that's why I got the 1.8 despite its drawbacks, by all accounts it's a very reliable engine.

i managed to see 50 MPG from my mums 1.6 PETROL focus on the way to heathrow. cruise was set to 60/65 MPH. when i reached heathrow it was showing i had averaged over 47 MPG.

id recommend stick with what you have and learn to drive more economically.

i was in the same situation as yourself when i moved from Leeds to Harrogate and then to York, job wise. i was thinking of getting a diesel forfour and selling my petrol one. the advice that was given to me was you know your car inside out and you know its little foibles and with the diesel you'll have to learn everything again.

in the end its up to you. when i was thinking of selling mine i was looking at the higher powered diesel forfour. and id say the same for you. if your budget allows go for the 2.0 diesel for the extra grunt

I've got a 1.8tdci and average mid 50's on fuel on motorway journeys (have had it higher)... Not a problem with it...its bullet proof to me. Solid engine and the one without the DPF... however all 3 have DMF's which are prone to failure.

You do need to service it every 12.5 miles or before hand with recommended oils etc....Do that and not drive like a chopper and the car will last.

it makes me laugh when I see people booting all over and they complain of fuel and servicing costs...its all down to the style and the foot! lol

I have a 1.8 TDCi (115) - averaging 48mpg/week.

When looking, I avoided the 1.6 TDCi after reading about potential problems with the DPF on them.

I had the 1.8 tdci in the old focus, brilliant engine, lasted me 120,000 miles... Until the HP pump died and took all 4 injectors with it.. Had a quote for £3000 for all new fuel system! It was tuned, to about 130bhp and 240lbft of torque, and was driven like it also!! So I guess that's testament to what those engines were like, it did track days and dyno days, everything!!

Now have the 1.6, but with the later "maintenance free" DPF, it doesn't use elyos fluid (as far as I know) and is a different design to the older more disaster prone ones...

No issues as yet apart from a broken temp sensor, the sensor itself was fine, the wiring connector kept coming loose!

For what it is the 1.6 is great, as long as you get a good one! I appear to have been lucky so far!!

It will also be getting tuned once warranty period is up... ;)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club