Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scratches In Ford Privacy Glass

AWakefield

I recently purchased a 13 plate Focus Titanium X with the Ford Privacy Glass option. I got up this morning to find that a bird had splattered a rear door window in crap! I therefore immediately got a damp sponge and started to clear it off. When I had removed it all, I noticed that the worst effected area now has several noticeable scratches! Is there anything I can do about this? I am astonished that it can scratch so easily. I can't get it so show in a picture, but its very noticeable from a couple of feet away. :(

take it back to ford, advise them what you did, as long as you did not use a scourer, it should be warranty covered.

Wait what? privacy glass is just regular glass in a darkened colour, it cannot scratch anymore than regular clear glass. Unless your privacy glass is actually tint. If so how has it scratched, tint is on the inside not the outside.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to take it around to my local Ford dealer tomorrow to see what they say. I have run my finger over the scratches and I can actually feel them. I'm certainly no expert but it looks to me like there is a tint on the outside that is scratched rather than it being darkened glass. Surely it's not possible to scratch a car window with bird crap!?! The sponge was new, so no chance of debris on it. Will find out tomorrow I guess. I'll post an update.

weird! sounds like someone doesnt know how to install tint film!

Wait what? privacy glass is just regular glass in a darkened colour, it cannot scratch anymore than regular clear glass. Unless your privacy glass is actually tint. If so how has it scratched, tint is on the inside not the outside.

It's just tinting film, it's not darkened glass unfortunately.

Did you buy the car with the Privacy pack or did they add tinting? , mine is built into the glass , you can tell this by , from inside it appears more clear to look out of , if it is an added tint to the glass then the same shade of tint will appear from inside and out side looking through the glass.

It was built with the 'Appearance Pack - Titanium' fitted, which is the privacy glass and keyless entry option. It does look far less tinted from the inside looking out.

Seems really strange that you were able to scratch it , i will be interested in fords response.

Ford confirmed that it is darkened glass rather than a film tint. The glass cannot be restored so needs to be replaced. Not covered under warranty. :-(. £80 plus 1 hour labour plus VAT.

thats not too bad a price, but I dont see why its not a warranty fix, if the glass is scratched with a sponge...?

I would say before they replace it, take the same sponge to the dealer, and wipe the rest of the window down as you already have, and if the rest scratches, ask them why that is... argue the case and see if they do it FOC.

The trouble with bird lime is it can contain pips or grit , always better to soak it first so its really soft before removing .

I'm still amazed how the tint has been scratched though , or perhaps the glass being scratched as made it look like it's scratched the tint.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club