Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Mk4 Duratec Fuel Pump

stoop44

hi, having problem with 09 mondeo 2.0 petrol not starting. has been slightly hard to start some mornings over recent month or so and now wont start at all. cant hear pump buzz when ignition switched on. fuse checked out ok. now is the fuel filter built into the pump and does the tank need to be dropped to access the pump? also is pump available from anywhere except ford?

• 2 months later...

I am having the same problem with my 2008, and it's not the first time... Happened about six months ago, and now it's happened again, and the garage is saying I only had a three month warranty!

I can tell you that the filter is built in to the pump, at least on my 2.3 (I assume the 2.0 will be the same). I have also been told that running with the tank almost empty can cause this to happen, since it is the fuel in the tank that keeps the pump from overheating.

This time I'd like to try replacing it myself, with a second-hand part, so if you managed to figure out how to access the pump, any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Ford only part and the tank must be dropped to access the pump. im.told sometimes a wonky fuel gauge is also a sign of the pump failing.

• 4 months later...

Just a follow up incase anyone else has this problem. It turns out there is a small loom about 12" long that runs over the rear subframe from the pump to the main loom (about £7 from Ford). This over time shakes about and gives a bad connection which in turn eventually can burn out the pump. Best to check the connector block pins on this small loom as a first port of call. You might be lucky and just have to replace this short loom unlike me!! We replaced two pumps before finding this. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, any chance you can tell me where I access that loom from? I'd like to check it out since my pump is still occasionally misbehaving! Also do you have the part number?

Thanks

Sorry dont have a part no. and the only way to access the loom is from underneath. You can get at it if the cars rear is jacked up high enough. Its drivers side. This small loom connectors give alot of grief on the diesels too apparently.

• 2 years later...

Hi Folks, sorry for bumping an old thread but I just wanted to show my appreciation for the information posted here which saved me a whole lot of trouble.

Had a nightmare start to the day when my Mondeo simply refused to start. Couldn't hear the fuel pump priming when the ignition was turned on lead me to believe that the fuel pump was knackered. A bit of googling lead me to this thread which informed me of the existence of the auxiliary loom between the pump and main loom. Sure enough when I checked the connection between the two, it was full of dirt and corrosion, possibly due to water ingress over the years. A good dose of WD40 and a clean later and it was good as new. Plugged back together and the car started without a hitch. No hefty garage bill this time thank goodness.

I got a copy of the label from the loom while I was under the car which should have the part number on it. I have attached a copy here in case it may be of use to someone else in future.

Once again, thanks everyone for the help and advice given above.

Office Lens_20160711_142303_processed.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread.  Thank you to the last poster, the 6G9T number allowed the parts dept to update the part number for this section of loom, which  is now FMU 1934058. A  fairly fast moving normal stock item at my  local dealer.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club