Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bonnet Latch Problems

McMC

Hi all,

I know this is a well known fault but fingers crossed I'm stuck at the last bit! I've read loads of really helpful threads on the internet to undo my seized bonnet latch but have gotten stuck.

I initially tried the screwdriver through the grill trick to compress the white section of the bonnet lock and open the bonnet. This didn't work for me (or the 4 people I got at work to have a go), so I jacked the car up and undid the lock from the chassis and got the bonnet open that way. Now I've got the lock mechanism stuck on the bonnet and can't get it off.

I took off the two 13mm bolts that attach the lock bar to the bonnet but the rest is attached at the front. I also tried putting the lock mechanism back together and trying it once I'd WD40'd it, but no joy. The lock mechanism seems to work fine, the white cross rotates freely with the key when it's not in the lock.

Any top tips for separating the lock from the bonnet?

M

post-45240-0-97539700-1373916494_thumb.j

post-45240-0-25448100-1373916497_thumb.j

post-45240-0-67055700-1373916499_thumb.j

have you tried using a flat or phillips in the hole where the while cross goes into and turning it manually?

Have you seen the bonnet lock issue thread / resolution in the focus guides section?

Hi,

I tried a screw driver, no luck, turns anti-clockwise a bit but not clockwise. I've done loads of reading on the forum(s) about bonnet/lock issues but this seems to be the point where for everyone else it's just come away. I asked the old boy that lives next door to look at it to and he was left scratching his head...

You may need to remove the grille to get the best access, otherwise I suppose the only other alternative is going to be more destructive...

I've got the bonnet open just the mechanism is stuck in mid air! The key part of the lock has been removed too, if using a screwdriver is the usual way to open the lock mechanism then it might just need cutting off. Hopefully someone has a better idea

aaah OK, I think I am with you. in that case, I believe the mechanism will need to be destroyed. If it is secured firmly in place, then you will need to shatter it and remove it, then replace as necessary.

I saw on a clio recently a bonnet that you open where you have a barrel lock on the bonnet (either side) which when unlocked allowed the handle to open. I would love to do that on my car and get rid of this crazy unreliable system!

aaah OK, I think I am with you. in that case, I believe the mechanism will need to be destroyed. If it is secured firmly in place, then you will need to shatter it and remove it, then replace as necessary.

I saw on a clio recently a bonnet that you open where you have a barrel lock on the bonnet (either side) which when unlocked allowed the handle to open. I would love to do that on my car and get rid of this crazy unreliable system!

are you able to see the pictures he's posted?

I couldnt initially, but now I can, I can see the last one seems to have the catch system attached to the bonnet grip?

Yep, im pretty sure you can use a screwdriver to push the lock pins to the side using a flat head screw and you should be able to take it off.

So i got it off, mostly I think through faffing but my approach was:

tried to put the lock back together to use it; when taking it apart the white plastic cruciform remained in the catch system. Trimmed 2 opposing cruciform bits off and grabbed the rest with a pair of pliers, turned them like the key and then pushed the latch off. I doubt that'll be useful to anyone else but I think it's what worked for me.

Handy information!

So you looking to replace the catch system now, are are you looking for an alternate means to lock your bonnet?

yeah thats fair enough, but I am considering seeing if there's a way to get rid of the lock mechanism (just have a catch to hold it down) and see if theres another way you can lock unlock the bonnet.

Didnt know if anyone had ever done this on a focus, or if you had considered it?

yeah thats fair enough, but I am considering seeing if there's a way to get rid of the lock mechanism (just have a catch to hold it down) and see if theres another way you can lock unlock the bonnet.

Didnt know if anyone had ever done this on a focus, or if you had considered it?

Anyone have any suggestions regarding a different mechanism? I'm desperate to fit an alternative and do away with this key-operated bonnet latch malarky! I certainly don't fancy the idea of having to use a screwdriver every time it plays up... *grr*

I decided to replace the lock mechanism, got the bits off eBay, £15ish for the latch, £30ish for the barrel and cable section. The new latch works perfectly with just a screwdriver to turn it, the old one still doesn't. By taking out 3 pins from the old key barrel I was able to transfer this to the new setup without having to rebuild a key barrel! All fitted in no time at all and working perfectly.

I've beaten up the cable connector quite a bit and it's survived so I think it's pretty sturdy, though I seem to remember reading that they upgraded this component so older ones might still be vulnerable. I think the best thing to do is just maintain the latch mechanism. I thought about putting in a cable to the drivers seat, or something similar, but it just means anyone can open your bonnet. Likewise if you just leave the whole mechanism off and just use a large screw driver to turn the latch. I think you're just left with maintaining it, at least you know its a potential issue, and unless you've got skinny girl arms like me you're going to struggle to remove the latch from the inside, and I used a crowbar to finish it off.

No easy answers I'm afraid. My focus is a climbing surfing wagon, when it finally quits on me i'll scrap it, you probably treat yours a lot better!

• 3 years later...

I've got a 2009 C-Max bought  second hand in 2013. The  external bonnet lock packed up a few weeks ago and I've had it fixed by my garage (at enormous cost!) as I'm not up to doing it myself.

This seems to have been a common issue with Fords and I've been told that they have now gone  back to the old system where you   open the bonnet lock from inside the car.

Can anyone tell me when Ford changed reverted back on CMax's to this old system?

It's clearly a design fault. Has anyone taken this up with Ford's to see if they are prepared to give some compensation?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club