Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Making Air Con Colder

david295

Is there any products I can add to air con system to make it colder, when i picked up car from fords the air con temp was 18dc, kwik fit got it down to 7dc after a gas change.

I would like to get it as cold as my mk1 focus was which was as low as zero

7c is about as low as you'll get it tbh.

I will have to agree with Stoney, you will be lucky to get below 7c.

You will see earlier posts from myself regarding this matter on my 2011 1.25 Zetec. Ford Customer service were involved, and after two regass (first did not have correct amount in) they said that 7-8c is the lowest it will go.

I love the car, but the air con lets it down (I like the cold). My old mk2 Focus was like an ice box!!

You're also limited by the properties of the refrigerant gas...

Not quite air-con related...but there was a spate of Reefer boxes exploding onboard ships...turns out they'd all been serviced and re-gassed in Vietnam (I think).

To save a few quid, the contractor decided to use a cheaper gas...propane...works wonderfully well as a refrigerant gas...unfortunately, with the nature of a containers life, some of them developed small leaks - again, no problem ashore with plenty of ventilation. On a big box boat however, concentrated pockets of gas formed, and introduce a potential ignition source (such as a motor kicking in) and...well...BOOM!!

Hi, there is no point in over cooling the car as all it does is waste energy, makes the car slower and increases the mpg...

I got it regassed today and got temp to 6dc, I ewad on another forum to insulate the cold air con pipes under bonnet.

So i wrapped them in foil and then covered them in foam pipe insulation, and now the temp is down to between 2 and 3 dc.

I got it regassed today and got temp to 6dc, I ewad on another forum to insulate the cold air con pipes under bonnet.

So i wrapped them in foil and then covered them in foam pipe insulation, and now the temp is down to between 2 and 3 dc.

Sounds interesting. Can you supply any more info / photos please?

I will take some pics

Thanks, I am very interested in this, as the temp in my air con never gets below 7c

Hi, there is no point in over cooling the car as all it does is waste energy, makes the car slower and increases the mpg...

Agreed, older AC systems may have gone colder but were were big, heavy, took a lot of power and wasted fuel - modern car AC is designed to be more efficient, and not to go too cold, if you go below 4 degrees C ice can form with the chill factor - the system is not designed to handle that and could potentially be dangerous

The AC pipes are also designed to expand and contract and are tested to destruction in various conditions, if the pipes are insulated it may cause them to crack,

Thanks for all the info.

I am in two minds to insulate or not (proberly will not due to the below)

Upon driving today, the pipes were ice cold. Mind you it was 27c outside. The engine bay was roasting hot and the pipes were dripping with condensation.

I agree that insulation will help keep the pipes colder so they will be colder when it reaches inside the car, BUT won't the condensation turn to ice inbetween the pipes and insulation?

ta