Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bus Build Thread!

jeebowhite

So, everybody else seems to have one of these threads, I thought I would join the trend! :) So, welcome to the not-anywhere-near-as-exciting-as-Lenny's-thread-but-still-modifying-my-bus-thread :)

So, I dont have too many pictures of the car before I started, but you should hopefully catch the drift as we go! Anyway, I will take some decent pictures soon and get them uploaded but for now:

To start, the first thing I had to do, was replace as many standard filament bulbs with LED's. I cant stand the yellow colour, and I prefer the idea that if I do inadvertently leave my lights on, the car will still work anyway when I get back to it! So for now, I will post this and update with later pictures!

So to start, I replaced the sidelights with LED's I then went on to install some Dipped Headlights, but Xenon 6000k White output:

sidelights (baring in mind this was taken in the brilliant sun, so you cant really see a lot, but they are white as per my avatar)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120897660499?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

IMAG0013_zps5641e156.jpg

Then I replaced the rear tail lights:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7225-BAZ15d-P21-4W-CANBUS-SMD-LED-Stop-Tail-bulbs-RED-/140731318861?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20c43d824d

Dual Filament for standard light and fog light

IMAG0020_zpsdd01d714.jpg

fog lights (same bulb but brighter output)

IMAG0019_zpsd72cd5e8.jpg

number plate bulbs and

brake lights:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-382-1156-BA15s-R10w-245-13-SMD-LED-Fog-Light-Bulb-Red-LED-Car-Bulbs-/360427041176?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53eb203198

IMAG0015_zps44fd3b59.jpg

Also Reverse Lights:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-1156-P21W-BA15S-R10W-13-LED-5050-SMD-Tail-Brake-Signal-Side-Light-Bulb-New-/360622888777?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53f6cc9749

IMAG0016_zpsb4c5a832.jpg

After I finished this, my obsession with LED's continued: so I installed LED's inside:

Courtesy Lights:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-42mm-8-LED-Blue-Car-Festoon-Interior-Dome-C5W-239-Light-Lamp-Bulb-DC-12V-UK-/400557617845?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d431832b5

DSCF0048_zps718e45b0.jpg

Illuminated Ignition Barrel:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-ILLUMINATING-MOD-LED-IGNITION-BARREL-RING-BLUE-ILLUMINATED-LIGHT-/330700362369?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cff471281

DSCF0029_zps01b0c656.jpg

Footwell Lighting:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blue-15cm-9-SMD-LED-Flexible-Strip-Light-Car-Van-bike-12V-custom-lighting-/281097951168?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4172be57c0

DSCF0001_zps05db9568.jpg

and the rear:

DSCF0004_zps89ba4a2e.jpg

I also fitted the rear windows out with Privacy shades, as the tints were FAR too expensive around here, and I got these for about £75 from 'vanstyles'. I think they compliment the tinted look but without affecting insurance or my wallet as hard!

http://www.vanstyle.co.uk/van/shades-p-3071.html

DSCF0051_zpsf3d89848.jpg

DSCF0042_zps793ffef4.jpg

DSCF0041_zps43ff38f7.jpg

And with the Windows down:

IMAG0014_zps56a09ffb.jpg

Last job was to install DRL lights, I wish I could have gotten the same style that Lenny and Preee (and many others have) but these I thought where not too bad!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-DAYTIME-RUNNING-LIGHTS-6-LEDS-6000K-PLUS-NEW-MODEL-AUTOMATIC-ON-OFF-SWITCH-/151104527380?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item232e881c14

31b6af14-ea92-4f3d-adc8-970f36771f74_zps

and their output against a wall:

Off:

DSCF0047_zps550f5bbe.jpg

On:

DSCF0046_zps225a2d0a.jpg

So far, thats all I can remember doing, I will take some decent pictures, and keep you in the loop with any further changes to my motor :)

• Like 2

Better late than never jeebo ;). Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

lol, I kept thinking theres no point putting it up with so few mod's, so thought "wait a bit longer" and by then, my camera corrupted, my SD card got mashed up and I lost most the pictures :lol:

Procrastination is the thief of imagery!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, got my next jobs to do, not quite mods, but I got a couple of small rust spots I need to fix, and then fix the boot switch. hopefully that will make the car a little better, not quite modded, but still some work "to do"

Keep being tempted to buy myself the climate control knobs, but I just dont have the funds spare at the moment! lol

• Like 1

Hey james a quick question have you got a switcher relay for your DRLs? This is the switch that when you turn on your dims or whatvever light you have them onnected to that they turn off?

The reason I am asking is I have used this in my car to make my fog lights my DRLs, I will upload pics tomorrow to show you.

• Like 1

Hi Stephen,

Yeah, got them as part of the light kit I bought. I piggy backed the live feed off an engine sensor, connected that to the harnass and then the negative goes to the negative terminal on the battery. Then I have a white wire, that goes to the sidelight, so that when sidelights come on, the DRL's go off :)

• Like 2

Yeah James thats the one, if you wanted you could use you fogs as DRLs as I have done bu the LEDs are a strong light had them on my astra and were the biz.

• Like 1

I like :) , Ive got the boot switch to do as-well :(

cheers fella's, and stephen, I think its illegal in the UK for us to use Fogs as Daytime lights, which is why we buy aftermarket kits :)

• Like 1

cheers fella's, and stephen, I think its illegal in the UK for us to use Fogs as Daytime lights, which is why we buy aftermarket kits :)

It is illegal here to use fogs as DRL's, but only if you get caught :P , James what are the led stop bulbs etc like, can you tell the difference or not.

• Like 1

I would say they are a tad brighter, certainly since I bought the prism shaped bulbs over the forward facing clusters! I quite like them, and I dont worry anymore that if I have a deaf moment, and ignore the beep warning my lights are on, I can go home after work and the car wont have any issues at all!

• Like 1

I would say they are a tad brighter, certainly since I bought the prism shaped bulbs over the forward facing clusters! I quite like them, and I dont worry anymore that if I have a deaf moment, and ignore the beep warning my lights are on, I can go home after work and the car wont have any issues at all!

Have you got a link go those single filament offset pin canbus P21 red led brake lights mate

Hi Lenny,

I will try and dig out the exact link but it will take some time! the bulbs pretty much these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-18-LED-SMD-BAY15D-1157-380-P21-5W-Red-Car-Rear-Tail-Brake-Light-Lamp-Bulb-12v-/160959943708?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2579f5d41c and based in Ireland!

• Like 1

Hi Lenny,

I will try and dig out the exact link but it will take some time! the bulbs pretty much these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-18-LED-SMD-BAY15D-1157-380-P21-5W-Red-Car-Rear-Tail-Brake-Light-Lamp-Bulb-12v-/160959943708?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2579f5d41c and based in Ireland!

Top man jeeb that's fantastic customer service,

To date every mod I've bought for the car has been imported and mainly from the uk,

Today a uk website links me to a modification for sale within Ireland lol

Your twisting my arm now lol, I'll have to purchase from these guys

Hey lads,

Why is it illegal to use your fogs as DRLs? all new volvos and others have their fogs as DRLs as they can go off when you turn on the headlights which is what I have done using the switcher relay, I cannot see how this can be illegal I may be wrong tho.

And another one whats the difference between illegal and unlawful?????

Illegal - is a sick bird :D :P :D :P :D

• Like 2

I think fogs are too bright normally. I imagine when used as DRLs they are not on full brightness.

Just curious now is all, LEDs would be classed as brighter that fogs as the lumen output is strong thats why I am putting this out there just to find out is there an actual law to say about fogs?

I understand here in Ireland that fog lights are classed as illegal but everyone has them on and nobody gets stopped with them?

I dont actually know the answer, but always though it was a lens thing, as in the good old days you could buy front fog lights and also front driving lights so I have always based my thoughts on this. DRL are bright but don't illuminate far in front of car where fogs blast light in all directions, but as i said I dont know the official reason, this is me be a sad old git and looking to deep into things :huh:

It is unlawful to use front fog lights as DRL because they are not aimed as per dipped lights and will reflect off a road and produce a possible dazzling effect.

It is against the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations (1989).

LED DRL do not reflect in the same way and dim when sidelights go on, and off when main headlights go on.

Most cars that appear to have foglights converted as DRL will usually be a two part light, one part will be fog lights (activated by a dedicated switch) and another part will be an LED ring or section (activated on ignition and controlled by a dedicated relay).

This is most obvious on newer Mini's.

• Like 1

Illegal means "against or not authorized by law."

Unlawful means "contrary to, prohibited, or unauthorized by law...while necessarily not implying the element of criminality, it is broad enough to include it."

• Like 2

Illegal - is a sick bird :D :P :D :P :D

. rofl-3329_zpse85d8c1e.gif

It is unlawful to use front fog lights as DRL because they are not aimed as per dipped lights and will reflect off a road and produce a possible dazzling effect.

It is against the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations (1989).

LED DRL do not reflect in the same way and dim when sidelights go on, and off when main headlights go on.

Most cars that appear to have foglights converted as DRL will usually be a two part light, one part will be fog lights (activated by a dedicated switch) and another part will be an LED ring or section (activated on ignition and controlled by a dedicated relay).

This is most obvious on newer Mini's.

So my thoughts are correct :)

Good man Clive thanks for clearing that up was actually really curious hope nobody wasa offended with what I was asking. :)