Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattling Tensioner Mk3 Tdci Auto Estate 2004

Maddogpro

HI AGAIN GUYS I HOPE YOUR ENJOYING THE SUN......

Im looking to replace said irritating item but which one do i get is there a supplier [Not ford] and what sort of prices i will get a my local mech too do it me thinks the rattling does my nut in cheeers The Dawg.....

is it the tensioner or crankshaft pulley rattle you are referring to?

I have no idea how would i decide which one it is or is there a test ?

• 3 weeks later...

If it sounds very metallic, I would say it is the crankshaft pulley, I bought the lot from a breakers in Morecambe for about £20 :rolleyes:

I have no idea how would i decide which one it is or is there a test ?

id say its the tensioner spring thats weakened over time. I put a new spring on mines(upgraded) from transitparts a while back but the rattles beginning to come back again.doh. Ford recommends renewing everything when this happens but sod that-they would say that

Here is one with a crank pulley -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-MK3-2-2-TDCi-ALT-BELT-KIT-CRANK-PULLEY-07-/160626895047?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25661be8c7#ht_467wt_1085

Gates ones are decent quality, genuine Ford crank pulleys are usually better quality and last longer than pattern ones

The reason you change the whole lot is to save you doing it twice, as its normally a garage or mechanics job, not normally a DIY one on the Mondeo Mk3

The belt is very long and gets streched, the tensioner wears - it is not a good design and usually lasts 50K (with the best components) - the X-Type Jag Diesel (same as the mk3 Mondeo diesel) has a slightly different design - it is possible to modify the alternator to fit a better pulley - but most Mk3 owners just keep changing the belt/ pulleys

I run a shorter belt (because of the AC delete/ belt only runs the alternator so does not get streched, either) and the TDDI ticks over at 900rpm instead of 750 (TDCI) - so mine does not rattle

That and the DMF (lets not forget the EGR!) Are the worst, most annoying things about the Mk3 Mondeo diesels - i can't believe anyone would refit these things when they can get better alternatives

I've had my Mk3 for 5 years, it's almost done 200,000 miles, the pulley only failed six months ago, not really a regular issue in my experience.

I've had my Mk3 for 5 years, it's almost done 200,000 miles, the pulley only failed six months ago, not really a regular issue in my experience.

As above the TDDI ticks over at 900rpm, and the TDCIs at 750, this makes a big difference to the pulleys rattling with the lower tickover of the TDCI

I suppose it depends how much the AC is used, and other factors,but the belt/ pullys on a TDCI, usually only last about 50k

i have been leaving the A/C switched on constantly to stop mine rattling. replaced it about 18? months ago with gates parts and for the last 4 months it has been rattling with A/C off.

an easy enough job to replace the pulleys, guides and tensioner but I just cant be bothered to be honest

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club