Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk.1 Horn Replacement

Bortron

I've had a search through old threads, and couldn't find a specific answer. I set off driving today and realised my horn wasn't working. I've checked the fuse, which is fine, and there's a clicking noise when I push the wheel in, which says to me that the circuit's working alright.

Now, I don't have a jack or axle stands, so can't get under the car to see what's there currently, and the Haynes manual says that "most models" have two horns. I've bought these horns as a replacement, but obviously if there's only one horn there I'll probably need additional connectors to make these work (or I'll have to take these back and swap them for a single horn).

So, before I get the chance to get under the car on Monday and take a look, can anyone tell me if my car is likely to have one or two horns? It's a 2005-registered Mk 1, 1.6 petrol LX.

My horn went on my MK1 LX. The horn is behind the bumper on the front left side of the car in front of the wheel arch. I just went to the the scrappy and bought a mk1 st horn for £5. There a direct swap, plug and play basically, and if i remember right its just 1 bolt.

My advice would be sent the Halfords one back and get the dual one. That will save messing with wires. This is what i got:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK1-Twin-Horn-98-05-/281132847223?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4174d2d077

Also, i think all the LX's had the single tone horn, but the connector is the same for both.

So does the dual horn have a single connector to the circuit (with the two horns then connected to each other), or twin connectors? If its the latter, then what I have should work. If not then yeah, I'll need to go with something else.

I'd prefer to get the job done quickly than wait for stuff from eBay, given the standard of driving in my area!

Its one connector with a positive and neutral so should be simple enough. There plenty space to mount stuff up there too.

Have managed to get underneath the car without a jack (just!), and I only have one horn, although I suspect it's a post-market one. I'm just going to get Ring's most cheap, nasty and generic one, as that looks like it fits all models, and then I can upgrade at a later date if I feel it's a bit weak.

Like I say, the standard of driving where I live (South-Central Manchester) is so poor that I have had to use my horn three or four times in the 1.5-mile drive in to work. And that's not angry horn use, but genuine emergency horn use! So I'd rather just get anything in there for now.

Thanks for the help though, I'll hopefully upgrade to the double horn in future!

Latest update:

Bought Ring's "fits all makes and models" generic one from Halfords... and it very much does not fit all makes and models. Not without buying additional connectors, or rewiring it. Will be taking that back for a refund on the basis of false advertising.

So, here's the connector (which matches up to the one in the Haynes manual, shown in there connected to a single horn):

942740_10100805585803388_1253451630_n.jp

1075854_10100805585843308_2051906788_n.j

Will that connector also fit the double horn that you linked me to earlier?

Yeah, certainly looks like it. The single and double horn use the same connector. On the double horn the power is split after the connector to give you the dual tone.

On the bad drivers front i totally understand. Use my horn on a daily basis. The good news for you is the dual horn is louder and has more of a deep tone :D

I replaced the horn on my Mk1 twice with a ford one to avoid connector issues....but the ford horns fill up with water and nackers them....

so next time I fitted a compact air horn (from halfrauds).........................works well :D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club