Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Would You Be Honest For £100?

jeebowhite

OK I have a two part question...

1) Would you pay someone £100 to be honest?

2) Would you be honest if someone offered you £100?

Odd Question I know, but I was thinking... If you went to buy a car off someone, who was asking £2,000 for the car. You ask them "whats wrong with it" and they reply "absolutely nothing whatsoever, honest, guv"... Your Spidey senses are tingling... "Look Fella, I like the car, I will give you an additional £100 on the price I pay, if you be upfront now and tell me whats wrong with it".

What would you do?

"serious? OK, well, the shocks are shot, and there's an error that keeps coming back"

or

" honest guv, there is nothing wrong with this car whatsoever"

I would pay £100.00 for someone to be honest when selling me a car, and I would be honest if someone offered me the money as well...

What about you?

• Like 1

OK I have a two part question...

1) Would you pay someone £100 to be honest?

2) Would you be honest if someone offered you £100?

Odd Question I know, but I was thinking... If you went to buy a car off someone, who was asking £2,000 for the car. You ask them "whats wrong with it" and they reply "absolutely nothing whatsoever, honest, guv"... Your Spidey senses are tingling... "Look Fella, I like the car, I will give you an additional £100 on the price I pay, if you be upfront now and tell me whats wrong with it".

What would you do?

"serious? OK, well, the shocks are shot, and there's an error that keeps coming back"

or

" honest guv, there is nothing wrong with this car whatsoever"

I would pay £100.00 for someone to be honest when selling me a car, and I would be honest if someone offered me the money as well...

What about you?

Karma is a mean beatch and will track ye down...honesty is the best policy!!!

• Like 1

If my spidey sense started tingling...I'd walk away...rather briskly!!

I would be completely honest in the first place and would like to receive the same

Agreed, although most of us have had an experience with someone who has been rather economical with the truth!

I dont mind buying a car at a knocked down price, if I know what its going to cost to fix it up, I dont like (as I have with my CMAX) buying a car, that has developed some rather expensive issues that require repair... Unfortunatey though I am now left with big bills and a nightmare scenario!

Its a double edged sword for me, when selling my Golf last year I was so truthful the guy actually said it was refreshing to buy a car without any nasty suprises. It costs me nothing to be honest so I wouldn't expect to be paid for it.

And when I came to buy a Focus to replace the golf this year, I did so much research and I must have been to view about 20cars and did HPI Checks on about 15 of them. One experience that stands out is an absolute bargain of a Focus someone was selling in Surrey Quays, east london, 08 plate, Full leather interior, 18 ST alloys and in fairly great condition and only 70k miles.

Within 5mins of inspecting and speaking with the seller, my gut told me to walk away irrespective of how great the deal was and the fact he was willing to let it go for £250 less than the already low listed autotrader price.

What turned me off:

Rear bumper wasn't fixed to the car correctly, so when I checked suspension by pressing slightly on the bumper, it practically fell off (no mention of this when selling)

Wouldn't let me have a look at the engine (adamant car was mechanically sound).

Rushing me into making a decision and other things not listed in the advert

I expect people to be honest and dont think you should have to pay for it, especially if you are parting with your hard earned cash on items such as a car.

I'd be honest and link them to the forum where they can view my communication record.

Nothing wrong with it.

There are some very unethincal people out there who could look you in the eye, smile, tell you the car was perfect and take the extra £100, everything could look "perfect" (too perfect), you would have no idea it was a "lemon" - no spidey senses or "tingling"- you might also have driven 200 miles to see the car, even after you found out something was wrong, they would look perfectly innocent (if you could find them)

If i was not sure i would put that £100 towards a full inspection rather than offer extra money on the off chance they might tell you the problems with a car.

• Like 3

Agree with all the comments above,Hyrule, it wouldnt surprise me if the car was stolen and the VIN was rubbed out, or if not, it must have exploded oil everywhere!

Liking Lenny's idea, lol, I would just be honest and say its been rough but I have the car in this state (however it is!)

Foca, agreed, there really are some unethical people, I suppose I wonderhow many people would actually be genuinely truthful for it...

Preee, that too is very true, I think they cost £160 or so, so its a valid point!

I think the consensus is, most of us have the morals to be honest without incentive, some would need the incentive to be honest, and some couldnt be honest if they tried!

way i see it is, either value the car its true worth, accounting for money that needs to be spent to bring it up to scratch.

otherwise

if your over pricing, knowing there is a problem, then being offered another 100 just to say, 'all is well' is like offering an alcoholic a free slate

law was tinkered to house sales in order to make it more honest, be it a private sale or through agents...

next biggest expenditure is buying cars, but you have very little protection when you are conned, especially with private sales.

easily sorted, yet...............

There are people who will take the money and still lie. Truthfully if you smell a rat walk away there will always be newer bigger and better opportunities in life and i would not pay anyone to tell the truth nor even recommend it, in real life i personally believe most would lie.

When it comes to letting go of your hard earned cash don't be naive because everyone lies and desperate times can bring out the worst in the best of us.

My advice for anyone in this situation is keep looking, when the right car comes along you will know

Very true indeed!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club